• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for advice to develop better form

You are basically doing the opposite motion around 6 minute in.

So it's better if I start with the disc hanging loose and then keep it loose into power pocket and externally rotate into the hit?

I feel what happends now is that it flips up a bit as I pull it into the pocket (external) then levels out a bit before I again externally rotate at the hit(or don't I do that properly since you said I do the opposite?)

I'm curios how this will influence my thow, what will it help with and what is the effect of doing the opposite like I am now?

Going IR into the power pocket should create a bigger pocket/sling bringing the disc closer to body behind the elbow(out) with better tension/load.

When you go ER into the power pocket it drops the elbow down/in and creates slack in the system.

Going IR into the power pocket should create a bigger pocket/sling bringing the disc closer to body behind the elbow(out) with better tension/load.

When you go ER into the power pocket it drops the elbow down/in and creates slack in the system.

Okay, that makes sense. I assume that most pros even the ones that are pulling the disc more flat are still somewhat going IR into the power pocket or do some of them also go ER into the power pocket? I'm wondering if this is something I can change without changing the angle of the disc or if I need to let the disc hang more like for example Garreth Gurthie in order to do this fully?

Videos from today's short fieldwork session.
70% power shots into a net.

What I'm working on

I tend to turn too quickly into the plant so tried to stride more laterally, tried to implement the doorframe drill, and really get my arm pulled taut from the door as I stride, letting that turn my torso later in the stride. Shoulder tilt and rear-leg counterbalance are also something I've been working on with drills inside, I liked how much tilt and how my rear leg counterbalanced in these throws. Would say it's a pretty big difference from my first video where there is not a lot of counterbalance with the rear leg.

I'm still getting a bit of hand pronation as I pull the disc in towards the center, but it's not something I had time to address much as the fieldwork session got abrupted by heavy rain. I will experiment more with this later.

Advice?

Would be great with some input, from my point of view it looks pretty decent especially relative to the drills I'm doing at the moment (door frame and loading the bow and arrow) but if anything is off here and can be improved I'd love to get some feedback if I'm on the right track or not.

I'd recommend to practice like you play, ie not barefoot.

Not sure you have any inward roll:
Your foot/feet need to evert/roll/bank inward shifting back and forth, so the knee/s move/swivel ahead underneath to catch the hips/shoulders/spine/head.

attachment.php

Thank you SW22, I don't usually practice barefoot but have a blister atm.
I watched the videos and did some practice and think I got the feel for it.
Regarding the inward roll, does that only relate to how I shift my weight from my rear leg in my form, or is it also related to how I brace with my front foot?

Looks like you are jamming up your x-step trying to keep your pelvis too forward facing or square. The more the pelvis starts turned back, the easier/more fluid the x-step. Note how Paul's right knee is facing more away from target so the hip/butt lead more and allow the rear foot to step behind more easy.

Your right knee also ends up too over your front foot while bracing like the FH thread you started. You need to resist/push back away from target more. Do some ice skaters/two-step dinglearm.

Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 5.28.27 PM.png

Looks like you are jamming up your x-step trying to keep your pelvis too forward facing or square. The more the pelvis starts turned back, the easier/more fluid the x-step. Note how Paul's right knee is facing more away from target so the hip/butt lead more and allow the rear foot to step behind more easy.

Your right knee also ends up too over your front foot while bracing like the FH thread you started. You need to resist/push back away from target more. Do some ice skaters/two-step dinglearm.

View attachment 314021

Thanks! The part about squaring up my pelvis too much to the target makes sense, I've had a habit of rotating the pelvis/ass too much target wards as I step into the X-step and already doing much of the coil before the stride, so I've been really trying to stay as squared up as possible lately to get the feel of not turning into the X-step.

And for the knee part, this is something I've noticed in my form, but was a bit unsure if it was wrong or not, is the angle itself okay as I land on my front foot, and it's just about pushing the knee away after I plant?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 23.51.32.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 23.51.32.png
    166.5 KB · Views: 0
And regarding the forehand, here's a quick video of it.

I'm pretty happy with the distance I got now, but if there are any changes that could be made for a more healthy sidearm, or more accuracy and power I'd love to get some advice.

Need to stay more inside posture/feet. Your head is out over your toes/into the wall.
Screen Shot 2023-07-31 at 6.14.08 PM.png

Thank you, I'll keep working on the inside swing drill and try to get more into Simon's (inside swing) position, any advice on the forehand?

Your footwork looks fine FH.
Your arm action is little odd.

Today I started doing some rocking (hoping for more sidebend especially) into the X-step drills at home before heading out to the field, also tried to get some inspiration from McBeths reach back, mainly focusing on reaching more down and actually reaching out as I tend to keep the elbow bent.

I also worked on the Inside swing drill and made sure to try to swing inside posture better.

A lot of experimentation and not the best slow and methodical session today, a lot of bad throws but still a few of them I felt like I came a little closer to some of the things I worked on.

I liked the follow-trough position here, the brace and posture seemed better, stays more inside the swing. I rarely end up with that much integrity with the tilt and with a clear target ward counterbalance. If I remember correctly some cues were "rocking" and also jamming the left side more aggressively into the brace.

Still focus on rocking and here especially trying to get the forearm reach out and lower. Finish position seems weaker here then the first clip. Sometimes I feel like I get in good positions throwing into a net and when trying to throw in the field right afterwards I kind of lose it a bit. Noticed that the knee does not come compress over the knees too much here.

I've seen some pros also do this, especially Ricky comes to mind and found a few other ones do a slight head tilt target wards, I did get a more straight head angle doing a few throws just now and it did feel a bit more balanced.
Is it best to be angled more like Paul is in the previous post or is that more of an exaggeration, looking at pro form a lot of them seem to be pretty straight angled in the power pocket?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 21.11.34.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 21.11.34.png
    640.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 20.52.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 20.52.15.png
    382.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 20.48.33.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 20.48.33.png
    493.8 KB · Views: 0