• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking for my new first discs!!

Andrez

Ok so, I'm spending way too much time thinking about discs these days. I wanted to buy 3 easy for beginner discs. I chose the Pure (but recently also considering the Reko), the Mako3 (also fuse/buzzz/svea are valid options I heard) and the River (leopard as alternative). The other 2 discs are for my colleague who also wants some to begin ahha. I'm staying away from faster discs atm, I think I need to work A LOT on technique before. But there are so many! And since I live in italy there are no shops around here to test them sadly.
Any suggestions? Also on plastic types, I feel like I spent so much time on reviews that I'm even more confused than before now...

Link to the cart I made earlier: https://imgur.com/a/FxzopS1

Most putters are pretty much the same at 30 feet or less. Of course, there are exceptions but that is worth getting into later.

Everybody should have a midrange that flies straight like a Mako or Buzz. A mid range that fades would be good too, something like a roc. And understable mid range, something like the fuse would be icing on the cake. Depending on how understable it exactly is, it could be a replacement for the straight midrange.

I'm hesitant to recommend a driver until you know what your max distance is.

A lot of season players took years to get their bag. And they change their discs around along the way. I imagine the type of courses you have around also plays a role.

As a long time player who's had to start over a couple of times, I'll give you the same advice that was given to me and I ignored at first. (My having to relearn the game helped me greatly.)

Don't think too much about drivers. When you're first starting out your drivers will go about as far as your putters. Concentrate on slower discs and controlling them. Then concentrate on shot placement. (Think of the present shot as the set up for the next shot.) Then, when you work up to drivers, you'll be kickin' ass. When you look into drivers, champ leopards are gold.

Looking at buying from Europe, check out Disc Golf Center. Their flight numbers are pretty reliable.

https://www.discgolfcenter.com/

About not having a shop to test discs.....well, that is pretty much anywhere. There are shops where you can buy discs, but there probably aren't any that let you try them out. Plastic gets damaged pretty quickly, so they would be throwing away money. At the most, they might have a few discs that they rent out....but you'd be stuck with what they have for rent.

One consideration, how about getting a Starter Pack? They are usually inexpensive and the company has put together a set of discs that they believe work well together for a beginner.

No i meant like a store where to see and handle them, not throw them of course haha. In Italy it's not very widespread as a sport, so my only option is buying online.
My friend has bought a starter pack from disc golf UK (Baron, duchess, count) and I threw them a bit. I have never seen or touched any other disc but they feel pretty cheap, not sure if my throws could get better with some "real" discs.

No i meant like a store where to see and handle them, not throw them of course haha. In Italy it's not very widespread as a sport, so my only option is buying online.
My friend has bought a starter pack from disc golf UK (Baron, duchess, count) and I threw them a bit. I have never seen or touched any other disc but they feel pretty cheap, not sure if my throws could get better with some "real" discs.

Agreed. Particularly just getting to feel different plastics would be a plus.

Aviar putter
Buzzz mid range
Avenger SS Driver

In the end I got a K3 Reko, A Big Z Buzzz and an opto river. My friend got an Avenger SS though!

How's that as a starting 3 disc set? I'm worried Buzzz and River overlap a little, maybe?
Anyways, can't wait for them to arrive !

Those discs should serve you well! Once you can get the River to consistently fly further than the Buzzz maybe look into an Explorer or something similar as your next disc

In the end I got a K3 Reko, A Big Z Buzzz and an opto river. My friend got an Avenger SS though!

How's that as a starting 3 disc set? I'm worried Buzzz and River overlap a little, maybe?
Anyways, can't wait for them to arrive !

Great start. When you get frustrated with those discs, and think you just need some different molds… don't. It's been said already, but throw those until you know exactly how they fly, and you can shape lines with them. The River will (probably) be very overstable until it's beat up. Throw it as your second putt into the chains to help knock the newness off faster. Someone said the River should fly longer than the Buzz, and that is very true. The Reko should be going like 225', Buzz 280' and River 320' before you really need more discs. Oh, and that Avenger SS should go even farther when your form gets consistent. Wish I could go back and start again - especially if it was 20y ago instead of 3y.

Those discs should serve you well! Once you can get the River to consistently fly further than the Buzzz maybe look into an Explorer or something similar as your next disc

Thank you! From the flight numbers, is the explorer the overstable counterpart of the river?

Great start. When you get frustrated with those discs, and think you just need some different molds… don't. It's been said already, but throw those until you know exactly how they fly, and you can shape lines with them. The River will (probably) be very overstable until it's beat up. Throw it as your second putt into the chains to help knock the newness off faster. Someone said the River should fly longer than the Buzz, and that is very true. The Reko should be going like 225', Buzz 280' and River 320' before you really need more discs. Oh, and that Avenger SS should go even farther when your form gets consistent. Wish I could go back and start again - especially if it was 20y ago instead of 3y.

I'll definitely try to throw them as much as I can, even though I already know the temptation to buy new cool discs will be there haha.

Avenger SS has been my go to driver for a long time.

Nice! My friend can't really throw really well at the momento, so I'm worried he really won't be able to appreciate the 10 speed of it. I'll definitely try it to see how it flies though!

Thank you! From the flight numbers, is the explorer the overstable counterpart of the river?

Correct. It's pretty much a Teebird clone so you could get one of those instead honestly. Like Seedlings said though I would wait until you can get the River to fly relatively straight out to around 300 feet before buying a lot of discs. I would have saved myself a lot of money if I'd have done that starting out :)

I currently have 170 discs. Gotten from friends, player's packs, tournament volunteer packs, found, and a whole bunch bought. (Does't include all the ones I've lost that haven't come back or the ones that I've given away). Of those 192 discs....I have 17 in my bag and regularly throw 6 of them.

Find out what type of plastic you prefer...this is very important. I have found that I don't like the Champion/Lucid type of plastic; it's just too slick for me to get a good grip. Star-type is my favorite. So, I have a pile of Champion/Lucid type of discs that may never see any use....but then might get used in the future....never know. I met a player who ONLY uses base (DX-type) discs.

Discs are an addiction.

Bill is absolutely right. After going through the phase of buying tons of discs, I FINALLY understand why my bag and cart can hold 35 discs. It's to hold each of the 6 discs I use regularly, in varying degrees of wear. Incidentally, I normally use just Star plastics, but also have a small grab and go shoulder bag of all DX plastics for the days when I dont want to drag the cart around.

Ok so, I'm spending way too much time thinking about discs these days. I wanted to buy 3 easy for beginner discs. I chose the Pure (but recently also considering the Reko), the Mako3 (also fuse/buzzz/svea are valid options I heard) and the River (leopard as alternative). The other 2 discs are for my colleague who also wants some to begin ahha. I'm staying away from faster discs atm, I think I need to work A LOT on technique before. But there are so many! And since I live in italy there are no shops around here to test them sadly.
Any suggestions? Also on plastic types, I feel like I spent so much time on reviews that I'm even more confused than before now...

Link to the cart I made earlier:

River is a great disc, but probably not for a brand new beginner. The Pure putter you have, and Fuse/Buzzz that you mentioned would be a decent start. If you really want a driver, a light weight Leopard is a good beginner distance disc. You don't need to get crazy trying to buy the right discs at first - just get out and throw and see if you have fun. Good luck!

I suggest going to a pro shop that lets you throw the discs before buying. If this doesn't exist near you then I would suggest a DX or Pro Leopard and a lightweight DX Eagle. 7 speed discs should hold you over until you can throw over 300. The Pros can throw both these discs 500 plus easy.