• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Looking to move, best state for disc golf?

Since you said "disc golf and other outdoor activities", I will have to say Colorado. 300+ days of sunshine a year, amazing mountains, epic plains, and check the map browser and you will notice that the state has an INSANE number of disc golf courses, including world class ranch courses that are 40+ holes.

I honestly don't think there's any other option that comes even close.

The person who started the thread should really be looking what type of course they like best overall. Flat and open with long holes, short and wooded, elevation?

I travel to Phoenix yearly and leave my discs behind. I ship my mountain bike. I travel to Dallas twice a year for family and leave my discs behind in exchange for a couple of books, alcohol, and the pool.

One person's four and a half disc course is another person's goose egg.

San Diego, CA!!!!!!! World famous Morley Field DGC, beaches, surfing, fishing, diving, mountains 60 minutes away, desert 90 minutes away, Comic-Con, San Diego State, UCSD, USD, Torrey Pines, pro football team, pro baseball team, no snow, no tornadoes, no hurricanes, the micro brew leader in the US and the most beautiful women in summer clothes all year long.

I have to agree. I'm sure there are multiple reasons why my dad stayed there after leaving the Navy. Beautiful weather all year. As long as you make decent money it's definitely a sweet life.

The real question is where is the best area(that has a dg scene)with cheap quality land to build a house/ disc golf Mecca for yourself! Thats what im wondering anyways

I day dream about that too. I am leaning towards the Charleston WV area. Or any mid-Atlantic Appalachian area. Dental costs are lower too around there I think. :D

California is pretty awesome if you make decent money , i make a little over our minimum wage and struggle to get by but it's worth it to live in a great place like this. Plenty of worthy courses in the area and playable weather basically year round , you don't have to worry about not being able to play in any of the seasons .

I doubt the OP is still reading this, but...

If I was a young man with his degrees I'd move to The Woodlands, TX. I'd work in north Houston for one of the oil companies, they're all hiring right now. You'll never see snow down there. It's disc golf, year round (with deet). You'll be on the beach in an hour any time you want to. The women are awesome.

I went down there earlier this month and the courses are great. They weren't near as crowded as the DFW courses are.

Cons: It's hot. Not just a little hot, but really, really hot. Sticky, sweaty, take a couple of extra outfits wherever you go hot. That's not all bad, the women are hot too!

There are great courses to play nearby. Road trips to the Austin area (for more than just disc golf) and DFW are realistic any weekend. Galveston and New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

I will swear on this... no one parties like to do in Louisiana. It's not far from there either. Just start networking with the locals. Life's good in south Texas... promise!

I suggest you and 10 friends move to PA and invade all those courses oh and seek out the secret courses and play them and post online where they are oh and reproduce and invite more chuckers out there and litter definitely litter.

FTFY. :D

And you should know that we would never show our secret courses to people from OUT OF STATE.:p

Virginia is nice because you're central to a lot of courses within a few hours drive. Plenty of places to do outdoor stuff other than disc golf, history and for the most part beautiful weather and scenery.

Having stayed in Charlotte for a week last year I would put that on the top of my list as well. Stupid amounts of courses within a 30 min drive in either direction, plus Rock Hill about an hour or so away from there as well. Can't comment on the cost of living or etc but it seemed like a beautiful city as well.

If I was a young man with his degrees I'd move to The Woodlands, TX. I'd work in north Houston for one of the oil companies, they're all hiring right now. You'll never see snow down there. It's disc golf, year round (with deet). You'll be on the beach in an hour any time you want to. The women are awesome.

I went down there earlier this month and the courses are great. They weren't near as crowded as the DFW courses are.

Cons: It's hot. Not just a little hot, but really, really hot. Sticky, sweaty, take a couple of extra outfits wherever you go hot. That's not all bad, the women are hot too!

There are great courses to play nearby. Road trips to the Austin area (for more than just disc golf) and DFW are realistic any weekend. Galveston and New Orleans for Mardi Gras.

I will swear on this... no one parties like to do in Louisiana. It's not far from there either. Just start networking with the locals. Life's good in south Texas... promise!

I concur! :thmbup:

An no income tax!!

I'm still reading, just taking in all the suggestions. Texas and NC are starting to look more and more appealing to me. Just wish I had the time and money to check out these places first-hand before I make a jump to move.

I'm still reading, just taking in all the suggestions. Texas and NC are starting to look more and more appealing to me. Just wish I had the time and money to check out these places first-hand before I make a jump to move.

If you like scruffy/ugly shrubs and dirt and flat land, TX is your new home.
If you like lush vegetation, kudzu, great trees and hills, NC is your new home.

Any disc golf shops hiring in Charlotte? I think I'm going to relocate in 2014.

Play It Again Sports and Alpine Ski Center are the spots. Both seem to have geniunely friendly/good people that work there. Do you know ski equipment? If you worked a PIAS you could certainly have a nice side business poaching good used plastic.

If you're considering NC, make sure to look at Asheville, Wilmington, Charlotte and Raleigh. I could be happy in any of these cities.

Yep, those four are certainly the best combination of livable (bigger) cities with good DG culture. Charleston and the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC should also be included. I'm not a big fan of Columbia, SC but it is also a large metro area with multiple courses.

Play It Again Sports and Alpine Ski Center are the spots. Both seem to have geniunely friendly/good people that work there. Do you know ski equipment? If you worked a PIAS you could certainly have a nice side business poaching good used plastic.

Alpine Ski Center had awesome staff, if I knew anything about skis I'd get a hold of them.

Yeah...I live in Ohio and skateboard but dont skie or snowboard. Makes sense.

Yep, those four are certainly the best combination of livable (bigger) cities with good DG culture. Charleston and the Greenville/Spartanburg area of SC should also be included. I'm not a big fan of Columbia, SC but it is also a large metro area with multiple courses.

Columbia does have the merit of being halfway between Charlotte and Augusta. And has 3 good courses in the area. But you're right; Greenville/Spartanburg is a much better option in the "not quite in Charlotte" category.