• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Love for the Gazelle

Motha****in' dx gazelle.

I might disc down for a while. Hole 14 at cp adams is a long, downhill hole, but this was a pretty nice blast.

Still love my gazelles. Glad i grabbed some dx again. It's the best gazelle.

20170606_195224_zps8q6gtkyl.jpg

Also we found a dx gazelle with a split in the middle with the rim still intact. We were playing dubs at acorn park which is hella flooded and my partner forgot his discs at home. I was worried he would lose one of my discs on hole 2 (i was sharing) so I said it was fortuitous to find a gazelle on the first hole and my buddies laughed because it was so broken. I picked it up and proceeded to hole 2. Hole 2 is a flooded disc eating nightmare. I handed my partner the broken gazelle and he piped the shot. We left it there for some other fortunate soul to use. May the gazelle bring luck to your rounds.

Last edited:
you know, i'm pretty ****ing pissed about losing my asia open gazelle with the snake stamp last year . . . or whenever i lost it. i don't even remember exactly when/where it happened, it just sort of . . . was gone. it was a cfr glo, much flatter than the current runs and the plastic was nice and gummy too. anybody happen to know where to get one?

I believe these were from the first run of glow gazelles around the end of 2010 to 2011. I had two with the dragon chain stamp which were released just before the stamp you are talking about. Any that have stamps dated from 2010 to 2011 should be from this run. They show up from time to time on eBay. They also have patent numbers which the later runs do not.

There is one on eBay right now from the same run stamped for the 2011 European Open. They are asking 29.99 buy it now plus 3.99 shipping though.

There is one on eBay right now from the same run stamped for the 2011 European Open. They are asking 29.99 buy it now plus 3.99 shipping though.

That's also a beautiful stamp...but i really liked the one i had more. Those older glo gazelles are nice because they are flatter and fly a little faster, but i really just want the stamp back. :\

Nope. thats it. There's a few champ gazelles from the 2002-2003 era. Almost all are cfr except for a small run of mini proto stars. Shortly after came the 11x.

Are the old CFR Gazelles worth anything? I think I've got one basically mint from that era, one of the first CFR batches. Might be 2001--I'll have to check later. IIRC, those were pretty overstable for Gazelles.

I got a gstar Gazelle earlier this year, and it seems to have finally gotten broken in. OR, I finally figured out the best way to throw it to do that flip into the right place thing that the dx plastic editions of it I have do so well.
Stoked

Are the old CFR Gazelles worth anything? I think I've got one basically mint from that era, one of the first CFR batches. Might be 2001--I'll have to check later. IIRC, those were pretty overstable for Gazelles.

It depends on what it is. The Gazelle market has been dead for several years now. There's been a CE one on Ebay for $50 BIN for quite a while. Used to be that it would be bid up past that. Now nobody wants one for more than $30. Pretty awesome for those of us who have bins of the darn things that we've spent hundreds or even thousands on. At least I learned my lesson. Now I have thousands in savings and retirement funds instead :D.

What's going on here? Any love for the Gazelle? Latest post in July 2017!!

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.

I'm wondering about Star and Pro Gazelles in the pro shop. I've felt one Star Gazelle (yellow) and it was pretty domey. Are they all like this? How do they fly? I have no idea about the Pros, would be nice to hear about those as well.

I've been curious about those as well - my old DX Gaz has gotten flippy on me.

I'm a huge fan of the Gazelle, and have it in pro, gstar and star plastics. I bag g-stars in 168 and 173 and a max weight star.
The Star is slightly more understable than either pro, or g-star, and behaves more like my beat in DX. The pro behaves like my sweet spot DX.
The G-stars I have are both fairly domey, and the star is kind of in between, and not nearly as firm as other star plastics.
I also have the pro plastic, and it is kind of in between the g star and star for stability and is the flattest of all of them.
The star and gstars are a lot more forgiving in ground play and will either skip or slide to a finish, and the pro plastic, which is really gummy, has a tendency to want to catch the ground and roll out to a finish.
If I need the turn away and not look where it lands because I know where it will predictability. My main choice is the g-star plastic.

I cannot keep them in the bag, but I think that is mainly because I throw a mixed bag. My Truths and Verdicts are such long discs that they operate almost like shorter fairway drivers. That is exactly what a Gazelle is, a short but deadly accurate fairway driver. If anything, the Gazelle is almost a longer stable midrange. So, I have a ton of overlap. Still, I will not trade away my Star Gazelles.

As you noted, Stars have a more pronounced dome than DX or GStar, but of the three, I prefer the Star because of their truer stability compared to the other plastics. I never gelled with the GStar. I know the Gazelle is not known for its glide, but the GStar had even less glide than the DX or Star. The Champion Gazelle looks pretty, but was even more of a glideless hog.

If I would go with a more traditional midrange lineup, I would see a huge need for my style of throwing to have the Gazelle back in the bag. If anything, it pairs really well with the FD and TeeBird.

Then again, this is all predicated on my style of throwing, and I know several Gazelle throwers who abhor the Stars for their dome. Give it a try and then make a decision.

Thanks for sharing! The Star Gazelle I felt was indeed pretty soft for Star plastic. I wish there were some firm ones that wouldn't be so domey but I guess it's a bit too much to ask for unless a top pro starts throwing them and they would make a new run. For that matter, are there any pros that bag the Gazelle? I can't recall anyone and I've watched quite a bit of tournament coverage over the years.
Same goes for G-star, they're usually a bit too soft for my liking but it would be nice to give one a try.

DX Gazelle was one of my first discs and I loved how straight it was for me for a while. Now I only throw DX in the winter when I don't want to lose my favourites in the snow. The Champ and Champ glow I have go in and out of the bag, swapping them between Teebirds and FDs. All three are great molds but Gazelles have more sentimental value for me.

I cannot keep them in the bag, but I think that is mainly because I throw a mixed bag. My Truths and Verdicts are such long discs that they operate almost like shorter fairway drivers. That is exactly what a Gazelle is, a short but deadly accurate fairway driver. If anything, the Gazelle is almost a longer stable midrange. So, I have a ton of overlap. Still, I will not trade away my Star Gazelles.

As you noted, Stars have a more pronounced dome than DX or GStar, but of the three, I prefer the Star because of their truer stability compared to the other plastics. I never gelled with the GStar. I know the Gazelle is not known for its glide, but the GStar had even less glide than the DX or Star. The Champion Gazelle looks pretty, but was even more of a glideless hog.

If I would go with a more traditional midrange lineup, I would see a huge need for my style of throwing to have the Gazelle back in the bag. If anything, it pairs really well with the FD and TeeBird.

Then again, this is all predicated on my style of throwing, and I know several Gazelle throwers who abhor the Stars for their dome. Give it a try and then make a decision.

Yap, Champs don't have much glide and are pretty stable, but they're very controllable and can handle some wind. I feel like it will take a lot of beating in before they get straight. The Champ glow I have is very straight though, with a tiny bit of drift. I really like it and it would be nice to find a replacement for that in case I lose it. Champ Leopards are pretty close in flight so that's one option. But it's not a Gazelle :p

Thanks for sharing! The Star Gazelle I felt was indeed pretty soft for Star plastic. I wish there were some firm ones that wouldn't be so domey but I guess it's a bit too much to ask for unless a top pro starts throwing them and they would make a new run. For that matter, are there any pros that bag the Gazelle? I can't recall anyone and I've watched quite a bit of tournament coverage over the years.
Same goes for G-star, they're usually a bit too soft for my liking but it would be nice to give one a try.

DX Gazelle was one of my first discs and I loved how straight it was for me for a while. Now I only throw DX in the winter when I don't want to lose my favourites in the snow. The Champ and Champ glow I have go in and out of the bag, swapping them between Teebirds and FDs. All three are great molds but Gazelles have more sentimental value for me.

The two reasons I think that most pros do not throw Gazelles are:

1) It is an older disc with not much love. Therefore, most top players who are new likely never experimented with one because it was not a top seller or produced in large enough quantities in premium plastic to be noticed. Look at older players, you may see a few here and there.

2) The Gazelle is a stable disc, but it is a one-line wonder, meaning that it will lock onto that line and hold it. It will hold an anhyzer almost all the way to the ground; same for hyzers or flat throws. It looks onto the line and holds it. However, because of its shortness, you often do not see those strict lines in open and long courses. The Gazelle is better suited for courses with more obstacles. However, since it only holds one line, heavily wooded courses with doglegs or multiple turns do not play well with Gazelles. The Eagle, near the same speed and distance, has more turn and more fade, making it better suited at flexing lines or getting around or through multiple obstacles. Likely the reason more top players picked the Eagle over the Gazelle.

I'm going to have to slightly disagree about one-line wonders for two reasons:

1. Teebirds. Super popular. One angle one line. That is what they are for. And lots of Gazelles fly like slightly shorter Teebirds.
2. Then there are Gazelles that fly like mini-eagles. Flat 11x, for example. Some flip, some fade. Heck, there are opaque 10x with flatter tops and high PLH that fly these Eagle-esque lines too.

But yeah DX Gazelles and more recent glow champ Gazelles do indeed pop up and lock onto lines.

ODRB sent me a couple of champ glow gazelles. Pretty domey, very stable. Make a decent OS bookend to a spectrum of leopards, or a stand in for a S/OS mid. I was hoping for a slower teebird, got a faster roc. Nothing wrong with that, but I will say there is a vast difference between a gazelle and a teebird, more so than just one unit of speed on the flight numbers might suggest - when they gave the gazelle a glide rating of 4, they really meant it.

I wonder what it would have been like to be playing when the teebird was released - I know the Cyclone sort of blazed that trail but I've never thrown or held one.