• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low fade midranges

KDG17

I bought a couple of days ago champion roc3 and i love the feel of it but after a couple of throw i have noticed its too overstable for my needs. I also noticed that roc3 is HSS so I'm now looking for LSS disc that has less fade than roc3. I have watched some reviews and comparisons between roc3 and other discs and possible options could be Spider, MD2, Buzzz. Disc can also be putter but i prefer midranges for short shots. Store near me only sells Innova and Discmania so it would be good if i could go and buy the disc from there. If you have any other suggestions i really want to hear them. I currently use zero medium pure as my putter and straight midrange. It flies really straight but it has no fade.

If you can take the shot with a putter, do it. Putters don't have a lot of fade as you of course know. There a so many good mid ranges, so it's hard to say which one is the right for you. The one I'm using at the moment is a Z Comet. Honestly, that disc doesn't have (almost) any fade at all unless you throw it nose up. A MD2 in S/P/D-line is also a good option, although the S-MD2 must take some beating first to lose its fade.

You could maybe try a Mako. I heard it was an attempt by Innova to make a Comet. It is really straight with a very light fade at the end

They do make 2 versions of the Mako. There is just the regular Mako which is a 4 speed Midrange and then they have a Mako3 which is faster and it's a speed 5.

The MD2(Fiend) would be a great mid and would have you covered for many shots in all plastics. It's a bit less stable that a Roc so that is good for you. I read somewhere it was basically just a Beadless Roc. The MD2 might be the fade you are looking for as it's inbetween the Mako and the Roc on fade.

Westside warship is fairly straight and low fade for a midrange

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Kdg said:
I bought the C-line MD2. Tomorrow we see how it flies.

Hope you got a flat one, domey C-MD2 will have more fade and also be a little slower flying.

I think it's the flat one. If i don't like it i will give mako3 a try. It also felt good in hand.

I've thrown the Mako 3 quite a bit, very straight with minimal fade. Slow plodding flight with decent glide. The flight reminds me most of a Buzzz SS, but with the small fade.

UncleBrother2001 said:
You could maybe try a Mako. I heard it was an attempt by Innova to make a Comet. It is really straight with a very light fade at the end

Funny thing is Comet was Discraft's attempt to copy a Roc, but has more turn and less fade (sorry this site is so dead I forgot the DGR slang for saying the same thing.) That is what I'd recommend trying out, in Z plastic. I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets.

"I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets."

^^^This!

Mako it is for Innova it fades less than normal MD2s but that flat top C MD2 is hard fading compared to the Roc3 so it was a step in the wrong direction. But if you don't mind a little flipping Innova makes a smaller diameter faster longer very glidey disc called the Coyote. Powered down it does not flip but then it fades about like the Mako or a hair more. A really little fading flippy disc from Innova is the Stingray that cannot handle wind. It is the least fading Innova mid. Discmanias fade more. Naturally beating in some molds might get as little fading eventually and those discs would flip when beaten enough. There is a less flippy and only a little more fading version called the Super Stingray but i do not know about the availability now. I think they might have been a one off so they may not be available later if you like them. Beat a DX Roc long enough it will lose much of the fade too and will flip like a Stringray eventually. There are many ways to moid straightness and gicen power the Atlas is a great disc that can take winds well while remaining straight. Not a flipper and powered not a hard fade at all. It is pricey though and the joint between the two plastics is iffy grip wise for those with large hands or widely spread out four finger grips.

Outside of Innova and Discmania there are lots of great options. MVP Tangent is pretty darn straight but it can get slick in cold and wet weather.

Mako 3 is superior to the Mako...better plastic and less dome.

I would have expected flat MD2's to be less OS and have less fade than domey ones. But maybe it's the opposite with that disc.

Coyote is a nice straight old school mid.

Super Stingray is better all around than the Stingray, unless you insist on understable. I think they're a regular production disc, in champ plastic.

You must have a Proton Tangent. Neutron is not slick, even in cold weather. As for wet weather, any disc will be slick...use a towel.

Mine is a Neutron and it is a little better than Proton. I will not touch Proton any more after buying many putters in it and the Axis. Neutron flies beter and grips a little better. Unfortunately for me the Neutron is still too slick when cold and wet. Finland is like that as a rule for two thirds of the year and the other third still has enough rains to make Neutron a sunny day disc even with towels :-( I love the Axis and Tangent in Neutron on a good day. Sure some advantage can be gained from grip enhancing agents like beeswax. I have not smudged either of those likey molds with it though because have been happy with other grippier discs for the most part. Soft X Banger GT and FLX Buzz namely for most of the year in the crappy weather for DG that we have here.

Flat C MD2 is well better than normal domey C MD2s. It takes full power in a stiff head wind without fliiping and fades very late. Almost as straight in calm weather and somewhat under powered. Glo Z Buzzish. So not a low fade mid per se but a tremendous compliment to one.

Soft and Flex plastics are grippier in any weather, not a good comparison in bashing Neutron.

A mid that's less stable if domey...interesting.

BentElbow11 said:
Soft and Flex plastics are grippier in any weather, not a good comparison in bashing Neutron.

A mid that's less stable if domey...interesting.

I am not bashing Neutron i am just saying they have definite limitations in the weather conditions they excel at. More so than some other plastics. It is also telling of my slick dry skin. It was 48 F at best today and my skin has peeled off from the outer layer in a couple of places luckily in a small area only. I have a problematic skin. Those holes to the outer layers were there before throwing and now there are more :cry: Rain is a problen for many with Neutrons. At least the stronger torrents where the disc gets wet between toweling and the rip despite shielding the disc.

Rocs are flippier with domes vs without and Buzzes vice versa. Super domey Flashes were beefy and normal ones not and Ville Piippo has very flat super beefy Bosses. The best driving putter i have thrown is d P2 with a concave flight plate that makes it more hss not more lss than regular ones with a Huklab offset small stamp too bad they are not avsilable normally. Yeti Aviars are smaller beaded and concave vs KC Aviars and Yetis flip which is not surprising considering the bead difference. Rules of thumb? Err not.

Kdg said:
I think it's the flat one. If i don't like it i will give mako3 a try. It also felt good in hand.

Hey man. Just curious to which one you liked better.

One other thing I forgot to mention about a (MD2)Fiend is that it can be forehanded very nicely.

UncleBrother2001 said:
Kdg said:

One other thing I forgot to mention about a (MD2)Fiend is that it can be forehanded very nicely.

Do you mean which one i liked better flat or domey or do you mean MD2 or Mako3.

It's hard to find a mid with a modest fade that still has good HSS. Hyzer flipping an understable mid can give you a variety of non-fading shots. If you want good HSS and low LSS the Tangent is the best there is.

Kdg said:
UncleBrother2001 said:
Kdg said:

Do you mean which one i liked better flat or domey or do you mean MD2 or Mako3.

My apologies, I should have been more clear.

I meant to say which make of disc did you like better,Mako or MD2?

i haven't tried mako3 yeat but i had echo star mako and i didn't like it because it was too domey. I think mako3 will be better.