• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low fade midranges

In the words of Dave Greenwell holy cow! I would not touch the Stratus lefty. I went to play two rounds afterwards and i took a second field throwing session afterward. Nuke ESP 161 and 166 on high and low s-curves to 337' means that with the muscle tension i had restricting follow throughs on plane combined with my lack of repetition meant i turned over drivers too often if i tried to take steps. In fact one of the longest throws was with a run up and a non crossed x step and the other one was with a non crossed step first and the plant step second. I gain lessened consistency with a run up and about 10-15' of average D on successful throws. Meaning not that much added average D but shit tons of annied worm burners or semi mole fuckers. I do so so on a short course with one or two step lefty bh with neutral to moderately OS discs tossing FLX Drone on dog legs only a couple of times per round. In a course where i could drive 50/50 rh/lh when my right arm was ok.

From my experience, I'd recommend these, in this order:

Classic Roc- This disc is a laser for me with a level throw.
Putter- Hyzer flip it flat, and it'll fade 10ft at most
Lat64 River- This is actually the disc I use for straight holes going for a laser ace

If you release the river off level though, it will hold that line to the ground, so it takes a dialed in throw. Once you get the hang of it, it's wonderful. Bear in mind, I throw mostly forehand river and classic roc included.

To the post about the Roc3, I have one of those too, but I'd trade it for a couple more classics any day of the week.

Here's a inbounds comparison of some of the straightest reported discs: Comet, Panther, and Fuse; threw the AMP in there because it's the straightest flying fairway driver I've ever throw or seen, and it's numbers are strikingly similar to those midranges.

I was thinking about picking up a star panther for those ~200 foot straight shots, anyone used a Panther before?

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR9711069076809088225024193232O

A panther should do nicely for that. I have one that doesn't make it into the bag mainly because I keep buying and trying other discs. The champ panther I have is something like 175 grams. It flies almost exactly like a slightly beat 177g mystic, which turns right if I try to get it out past 250 or so, but is very straight for a slightly shorter shot. I have a less beat 180 g mystic that it straight as can be no matter how much I put on it. Full disclosure, my form is not great, and I still have a tendency to strongarm my throws, so your mileage may vary...

I messed around with a Panther today at Academy. Interesting disc. I would have bough tit, but it was from a broken starter pack, and not for sale individually.

Pretty happy with my Truth for this. I have a Claymore and two Tangents that do not fly as understable as I expected.

The Panther is simply the best wooded course disc there is. Thrown flat, it flies and lands flat. At this time, I believe it's only available in champion plastic. A small diameter mid with a very shallow rim that's super easy to throw. I have a Panther in my "wooded course" bag.

I did some field work with my champ panther along with a Fuse (gold line), Claymore (recycled), and a couple of Mystics (sure-grip). I would say the glide rating is fairly accurate. These discs are very similar for me.

The glide is probably accurate but somewhat deceiving. It is understable, so it doesn't need a lot of power to go far. Also, the rounded rim allows for a clean release and makes it easy to impart a lot of spin without worrying about OAT.

My favourites for straight midranges with minimal fade are West Side VIP Air Warship (154-157g) for longer throws and VIP Tursas for lower power approaches.
Pretty much every manufacturer does have these kinds of mid ranges. Axiom Alias is a lot of fun too. D-Line MD2 from Discmania may need a bit of use but is excellent after a while as well.

I have thrown disc of the same MOLD that flown overstable and understable by the color I bought.
Sometimes you need to throw a few of them and pick the best that you like and flies right for you.
EX - my destroyers all seem to fly different.