• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Low fade midranges

andrew said:
UncleBrother2001 said:
You could maybe try a Mako. I heard it was an attempt by Innova to make a Comet. It is really straight with a very light fade at the end

Funny thing is Comet was Discraft's attempt to copy a Roc, but has more turn and less fade (sorry this site is so dead I forgot the DGR slang for saying the same thing.) That is what I'd recommend trying out, in Z plastic. I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets.

The Comet came out during the Ontario Roc's tenure and is much more comparable to that than the Rancho or it's variants.

Kdg said:
i haven't tried mako3 yeat but i had echo star mako and i didn't like it because it was too domey. I think mako3 will be better.

I've tried the Mako 3 and it's a nice mid, and as advertised. The plastic is sweet! And they are mostly flat, with maybe a very small amount of dome. Does the job it was designed for, as in very straight w/minimal fade.

andrew said:
Funny thing is Comet was Discraft's attempt to copy a Roc, but has more turn and less fade (sorry this site is so dead I forgot the DGR slang for saying the same thing.) That is what I'd recommend trying out, in Z plastic. I use a Fuse for that slot, however, which is faster than a Comet and more of a line-holder than a line-shaper like Rocs and Comets.
Turn in a Comet? What is this sorcery?! =)

discspeed said:
It's hard to find a mid with a modest fade that still has good HSS. Hyzer flipping an understable mid can give you a variety of non-fading shots. If you want good HSS and low LSS the Tangent is the best there is.
I'd put fresh and little thrown D-MD2s and seasoned C-MD2s right up there as well. I do like the Tangent but the MD2s are just so bitchin' I can't stop throwing them.

BentElbow11 said:
Mako 3 is superior to the Mako...better plastic and less dome.

I like my Champ Mako3(171g) better than my Star Mako(165g), but mine are the opposite of what you describe. My Mako is super flat while my Mako3 is not. I wouldn't call my Champ Mako3 super domey, but it certainly has a dome to it whereas my Star Mako is super flat.

My Star Mako is easier to flip than my Champ Mako3 when I give em some gas. I find that my Mako3 is more stable, it kinda seems to fight any kind of hyzer/anhyzer I try to put on it, although it will do it. Hard to explain, it's like I'm forcing the disc to do it.

My Mako is more touchy than the Mako3. However, I have used the Mako for quite some time longer than the Mako3 , and have used it BH, FH, Tommy, whereas I only throw the Mako3 BH.

IMO, the Champ Mako3 I have is better for driving from the tee or long mid shots BH , although my Star Mako is more of a workhorse.

I don't carry the Star Mako in my bag anymore, for mids I carry the Mako3 and an old Champion Cobra (165g) that's super flat topped . I use the Cobra as a workhorse. It does all the Star Mako did, is less touchy , and has a bit more fade at the end.

So I basically use the Mako3 for 250' and under drives/upshots that need to be straight, and the Champ Cobra for any (most) of my other short shots.

........................Blake

My Mako is not flat but the dome height is low. No experience with the Mako3. The Mako i have flips at full power and fades about the same as the Coyote being shorter so i have no use for it.

Yig said:
BentElbow11 said:
Mako 3 is superior to the Mako...better plastic and less dome.

I like my Champ Mako3(171g) better than my Star Mako(165g), but mine are the opposite of what you describe. My Mako is super flat while my Mako3 is not. I wouldn't call my Champ Mako3 super domey, but it certainly has a dome to it whereas my Star Mako is super flat.

My Star Mako is easier to flip than my Champ Mako3 when I give em some gas. I find that my Mako3 is more stable, it kinda seems to fight any kind of hyzer/anhyzer I try to put on it, although it will do it. Hard to explain, it's like I'm forcing the disc to do it.

My Mako is more touchy than the Mako3. However, I have used the Mako for quite some time longer than the Mako3 , and have used it BH, FH, Tommy, whereas I only throw the Mako3 BH.

IMO, the Champ Mako3 I have is better for driving from the tee or long mid shots BH , although my Star Mako is more of a workhorse.

I don't carry the Star Mako in my bag anymore, for mids I carry the Mako3 and an old Champion Cobra (165g) that's super flat topped . I use the Cobra as a workhorse. It does all the Star Mako did, is less touchy , and has a bit more fade at the end.

So I basically use the Mako3 for 250' and under drives/upshots that need to be straight, and the Champ Cobra for any (most) of my other short shots.

........................Blake

You must have an early run Star Mako. I've seen newer Star Mako's in stores and they have huge dome, they look like a Dart. Mako throwers were complaining about this for years, before the Mako 3 came out and varies from flat to a very moderate amount of dome.

BentElbow11 said:
You must have an early run Star Mako. I've seen newer Star Mako's in stores and they have huge dome, they look like a Dart. Mako throwers were complaining about this for years, before the Mako 3 came out and varies from flat to a very moderate amount of dome.

I think that I bought my Star Mako when they very first came out. I was waiting for them to be released. It's not a proto stamp or anything like that, just standard Star Mako stamp.

My bro in law has a Dart, just picked it up a few weeks back, champ plastic. My Mako3 doesn't have quite as much dome as his Dart.

He loves that Dart, it is what I would call a workhorse/utility disc , and it has minimal fade. I played a round with it, it seems very neutral, is happy to shape anny or hyzer lines . My main issue with it is If I give it some gas it wants to flip up/anny on me. I suppose I could just counter with some hyzer, but I didn't play with it long enough to bother. Seems like a good enough disc.

Did I mention he loves that Dart ? It has all but replaced his Mako3. He still bags the Mako3, but he rarely uses it now that he has the Dart.

.....................Blake

The Aurora MS was always my no-fade mid.

*is old*

*is so old that it took me three weeks to remember my login*

*is posting in a dead thread that I meant to post in three weeks ago when I couldn't remember my login*

*doesn't think anyone will ever see this anyway*

You have not posted in vain!
I have a friend who uses a QMS for his min-range, no-fade go-to disc. He is very accurate with it.
I don't really have a guaranteed no-fade mid, but it's probably poor technique on my part. If it absolutely must land straight, I'll throw a putter (aviar, wariock or warden). If it has to go farther and must land straight, it's an iffy shot for me, but I'll use either my mystic or my Fuse. I really need to spend more time in the field getting adjusted to those two...

Working Stiff said:
The Aurora MS was always my no-fade mid.

*is old*

*is so old that it took me three weeks to remember my login*

*is posting in a dead thread that I meant to post in three weeks ago when I couldn't remember my login*

*doesn't think anyone will ever see this anyway*

I see it. :D

Not sure if I count though. :lol:

Not that old of a thread, and still relevant.

:shock: I'm still watching. . . . .

Just picked up a Warship. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, I'll letcha know if it fits in this category.

...................Blake

coppertop said:
You have not posted in vain!
I have a friend who uses a QMS for his min-range, no-fade go-to disc. He is very accurate with it.
I don't really have a guaranteed no-fade mid, but it's probably poor technique on my part. If it absolutely must land straight, I'll throw a putter (aviar, wariock or warden). If it has to go farther and must land straight, it's an iffy shot for me, but I'll use either my mystic or my Fuse. I really need to spend more time in the field getting adjusted to those two...

Agreed on the use of putters. I use an Innova Birdie and it is pretty sweet. It goes straight. I know the "Lid" style putters aren't for everyone, but it does what it does quite well.

As far as straight/no fade mids go, I find if I don't throw them hard enough that they fade , or fade harder than when I throw them hard. Could be an issue with not enough spin/snap ???

My Mako and Mako3 are both straight liners , all the way to the ground as long as I throw them with gusto. Driving, long mid shots , etc that require a good hard throw they do exactly what they're supposed to. If I try a softer "touch" shot they will fade out on me.

I think it's more of using the disc for it's intended purpose. Just like you wouldn't use a distance driver as a mid , you shouldn't expect a mid to perform like a putter.

Just my opinion.

.......................Blake

Yes, on using a disc for it's intended purpose, and double yes on throwing midranges with gusto. It continues to be interesting to me to experiment with different discs, looking for overlap, looking for the breadth of application that a single disc (not mold) can cover. If I'm smart, I work that out in the field so when I have that shot that I could cover with several different discs in my bag, I can pull the one that gives me the best opportunity for success on the shot.
Both the Mystic and the Fuse are considered understable, and if I put too much on them, they do turn. But when I get it right, they are both soooo straight.

Good post regarding the Aurora MS... the seasoned QMS that I had was dead straight with power. The unique part was that it had very little fade on touch shots as well, including 30 foot stalls.

A long long time ago, on a website not so different from this, Comets were much espoused to be the ideal disc for diagnosing flaws in your form. My experience has been that any neutral flying disc can be manipulated in a number of ways. I never fell in love with Comets, personally, but can appreciate the idea of using such a disc as a teaching aid. Depending on your range with certain discs, it is important to be able to throw your stuff at multiple power levels. The more you progress with your game, the more decisions you will have to make, and being able to manipulate one mold to do multiple things can open up a lot of options. For me, the Meteor is one of the best examples. I can throw it at different speeds and achieve wildly different flight paths. They also have a great lot of glide, which can be beneficial to newer players. The more I play, the easier I want to throw, and Meteors fill a useful role for me. If you can find a used one, and concentrate on a clean release, it may be just the ticket. The Cryztal ones seem to be the most overstable, then Z, then ESP, from my experience. I haven't thrown the GLO version yet. Carry on.

KP

I'll throw out the MD2 again: Three times today I slightly messed up a shot because they didn't fade even that little bit I was expecting them to.

You left out the standard disclaimer of that applying to only pline and not when new. A flat c line fades hard under powered and late but fairly much after the onset on low lines and plenty on high lines.