• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lowered Baskets.

Do you like lowered baskets?

• Yes

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 53 60.9%

• Total voters
One of the baskets at Avalon peaks was broken and just sitting on the ground. I kinda horseshoed my disc in from 10ft. It was weird not aiming for chains.

I've also seen a basket where rain washed up the concrete footing and it was leaning a good thirty degrees; that was interesting.

Hole 13 at Tyler State Park in PA. When the basket is in the "B" position, it sits in a small gulley. From the fairway all you can see is the number marker on the top. I happen to really like this hole when it's in that spot. It makes it a real possibility to skip a disc into the basket.

57d3190a.jpg

I like this hole a lot, played Tyler a few times and what a great course.

My answer to this question kind of goes more general than just lowered baskets. My preference is a course with varied baskets from lowered to high / on top of steps / rocks, leaned, something that gives you a different look basically, makes the game more "fun", in my humble opinion.

Generally I would say no to this sorta thing. But on rare occasion, or at a novelty course it could be cool.

Haven't had a chance to post the updated PDGA course specs but the recommendation is that up to 3 targets be installed at non-standard heights and no more than 6 on an 18-hole course.

It also says they have to be like 14 inches off of the ground for approved PDGA play.

No. We have one in Louisville that's a few inches higher than the one you posted and I don't like it. I guess it's cool that it mixes things up and makes you think, but to me it just feels really weird putting down like that and I don't like it. I don't get that feeling from upwards putts on an elevated basket, dunno.

Generally I prefer they be worked into a course's natural landscape, such in a gulley or on a rock outcropping, but if they're done right, in the right setting, raised or lowered baskets can be fun. The two that come to mind that I like are at Flyboy: the one in the OP and the basket on the "Wise Old Tree of Disc Golf" hole. I also find hanging baskets rather appealing, but I wouldn't want a course full of them, and I wouldn't want them at non-standard heights and hanging.

This kind of thing should be done in moderation, and with more creativity than just sticking the basket on a really tall pole.

Baskets that are above ground level, but lower than normal, don't have much attraction to me. They seem more a mistake than anything.

its obviously not a mistake when the basket is in the ground.. unless youre meaning a mistake in being included in the course. in that case meh you may be right, its a matter of opinion

57d3190a.jpg

That I like. :thmbup:

4ec1055b.jpg

That not so much. :thmbdown:

Although I would love to brag about having a skid ace. :p

Latest posts