• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Made progress on form, not on distance

timothy42b

Eagle Member

I think I look much better. I'm not throwing farther though I am more consistent.

I see my trail arm is waving around, I can fix that next trip to the field.

What else am I doing wrong? I'm throwing 180 with putters, 210 - 220 with Teebirds.

Your setup is too weight back and you stride too far forward with your weight dragging on back foot. Setting up or aiming you should have 100% weight balanced on front foot/leg, then work backwards balanced and make a forward move staying dynamically balanced through the finish on the front leg.

Check Power of Posture and Reciprocating Dingle Arm and other drills:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119328

Thanks.
By setup too weight back, do you mean back on my heels, or back on the rear leg?
Rear foot should have zero weight or pressure anywhere on the foot when aiming your swing.

Thanks. I've been setting up weight equal before the backswing. I'll change that right away and see what happens.

The light poles are 181 feet apart in that soccer field, which makes a nice measurement method. Outside of soccer games Saturday mornings in the season there's hardly ever anyone there, it's a great place to do some field work.

It looks like you are going smash your hand on the pole if you followthrough.

Yeah, I guess I came pretty close. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. Although, I thought I did follow through. :)

That would have hurt! :D

Watch the first 3 or so secs of this video to see how Paul aims his swing 100% on his front foot and follows through all the way around on the same plane with the shoulders or just below the shoulders. Your arm follows through way under the shoulder plane.

Ah! Now i see what you mean. His arm whips around on plane, mine just kind of sags down after the throw.

I'm not sure what causes that but I'll pay attention to it.

My theory on follow through: everybody says you need to follow through. Tennis, batting, most sports movements. And it's true, but not for the reason stated. The follow through actually does nothing at all for the throw/hit/motion. And forcing a good looking follow through is meaningless. The reason a follow through is important is that it is the inevitable result of correct motion BEFORE the throw. If your tennis racket did not follow through to the right spot, you did something wrong with weight transfer or path of swing. So it's a good check, but it is also possible to force a good followthrough after a bad throw. Okay, enough philosophizing. I just did some work in the mirror in the basement, and think I'm doing better on the back foot weight thing. We'll see on the soccer field soon.

Yep. The followthrough is like watching the wake of a pebble. It pretty much tells you the story of impact. If you finish like the pros, chances are pretty good you are throwing are like one.

Latest posts