• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Man made obstacles on the course.

Can't wait for trees to grow? Telephone poles last an awful long time. And oddly enough, they tend to get chopped off at the knees by cars pretty regularly. I doubt it would be very hard to get your city to donate their damaged poles. String some wires or rope between a parallel row of poles to make a lane. Want to make it even tougher? Encourage players to toss old shoes over the wires like a city street (or that tree that used to sit at Morley Field in San Diego). Wires of different heights and angles with shoes as well to provide more obstacles? Sounds cool to me. A gimmick? Possibly, but better than a 340 ft open shot in a flat field that does nothing more than get you from hole 1's basket to hole 3's tee (I'm looking at you Barber Park hole 2).

Go check out the pictures of Brent Baca in New Mexico, they've done some of that there to make things a little trickier. They used abandoned construction materials to make some tricky lines off the tee, and some railroad ties to protect a green.

As I saw written in the guest book at Baca; "Mad max meets disc golf." The course designer did a lot with little to work with.

Log stacks

How do you get the logs stacked that high without falling on people?

How about something like this?
From the NC Museum of Art...

iu

I estimate it's cost at roughly $100K - damn mercenary artists, just blame warhol...

How about something like this?
From the NC Museum of Art...

iu

I estimate it's cost at roughly $100K - damn mercenary artists, just blame warhol...
Instead if the the obvious triple mando, this could be more interesting if you made the first and last hoops Mandos through them, with the second one being a mando around/ outside rather than through.

Instead if the the obvious triple mando, this could be more interesting if you made the first and last hoops Mandos through them, with the second one being a mando around/ outside rather than through.

The beauty of this situation seems to me its potential for variable mandatories - none, any 1, 2 or all 3, at any given meet. For informal matches, 'your' group could decide amongst each other to sweeten your side bets, which is much less 'deterministic'...of course there are multiple fantasy iterations of this idea, the most interesting being a combination of this set-up with some elevation changes...brainstorming can be fun.

For the more competitive course designers, a single 'hoop' like this, even smaller in scale, would put that bamboo fence at winthrop to shame...and be less costly to maintain in the long run...

Last edited:
Just make the 3rd hoop a mando. If you can get through it off the tee while missing the other 2, more power to you.

If you need a 2nd or 3rd shot to get through it, you've already got enough problems.

Latest posts