• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the 10m/Putting circle

cheesethin

Birdie Member
In one of the other threads toddl said that you can't assume a marked putting circle is official and accurate. This brought up some interesting thoughts and questions.

The rule book doesn't reference the 10m circle being physically marked at all, it just defines the distance. Whereas for Mandos it describes the procedure for both a physically marked line and for an imaginary one. And for OB, the rule book assumes that there will always be a physical line of some kind.

And the rulebook tells us how to treat physically marked lines. For OB the line itself is OB. For Mandos the line is 'safe' as the disc has missed the mando only if "it completely crosses a mandatory line".

So questions:
1. Can a physically marked putting circle ever be considered 'official'? As the rulebook doesn't give any official status to that marked line, nor does it define how to handle the line itself.

2. How big is the potential for problems if a marked (but always unofficial) line is incorrect?

3a. Should/could the rule book detail marking of the putting circle.

3b. And possibly allow custom shaped putting areas?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Physically marked putting circles should never be considered official. They're good for reference sake, but errors happen. I don't believe that players should have to abide by a painted circle that has a radius of 10.5 meters or 9.3 meters when making rulings just because they're there.

Should the rule book address physical markings? I don't think it should unless the rule is changed so that 10m circles are not required. If custom shapes are allowed, then physical markings are obviously imperative (like OB markings). If the rules continue to read that all putting circles are exactly 10m in radius around the basket, then markings should be irrelevant from a ruling standpoint.

So if you get out and measure every painted circle and you know the painted line on a hole is 9,8m and somebody makes a jump put from the line. . .can you call a footfault?

Last edited:
So if you get out and measure every painted circle and you know the painted line on a hole is 9,8m and somebody makes a jump put from the line. . .can you call a footfault?

No reason that you couldn't call a fault in such a situation.

Though if I were in possession of the knowledge that the painted circles were incorrect, I'd probably speak up before the round began to inform at least my group, if not the TD as well. I certainly would speak up before anyone in my group jump putted from right at the line to prevent any controversial calls from needing to be made at all.

Used to be common for people to paint the circles at 30feet. They say it's good enough, I say it's not 10meters. I'd call the foot fault.

I do believe that in the future it would be a good thing that whatever the distance is painted (even non-circular shapes) that should be the official distance for that round (or event).

There is a problem with allowing the TD to mark their own circle and making it official, although it might be theoretical. What would keep a TD from marking the "circle" right in front of the Tee, and thus requiring Stand & Deliver from everywhere except the Tee?
The best fix in my mind is still to do away with the circle entirely when it comes to stance.

There is a problem with allowing the TD to mark their own circle and making it official, although it might be theoretical. What would keep a TD from marking the "circle" right in front of the Tee, and thus requiring Stand & Deliver from everywhere except the Tee?
The best fix in my mind is still to do away with the circle entirely when it comes to stance.

Given that much freedom, I'd paint the circle in the shadow of the basket, effectively doing away with the falling putt rule, too.

Probably a good thing that TDs can't create custom "circles". People like me might abuse the privilege.

I have always thought marked circles are:
A. unnecessary
B. a waste of paint
C. ugly
D. unnecessary
E. a waste of time that could be spent more productively
F. unnecessary

...so now for Udisc we have to do 2 instead of just one for USWDGC...

You have to mark Circle2?

If you want to facilitate people using UDisc scorekeeping and their stats.
Seems to be becoming pretty popular.

Until last year, I didn't even know Circle 2 was a thing. :\

Let's be honest, for most of us rec players C2 is just fairway.

Also if people are using UDisc, when it comes to determining C2 (since rulewise it's the same as fairway) why not just use the "distance to pin" readout on their scorecard? Should be close enough. And if the pin locations aren't mapped, well, play a round where you're the good guy and map it.

C1 & C2 come to, what, about two miles of paint, per course?

I'm inclined to let them guess whether a missed putt was 65' or 70'. (Then again, I don't put too much stock into any stat that lumps 35' putts and 65' layups into the same average).

Ok, ok. Some people are using the straw man to get ridiculous. Two miles or paint, etc. I've seen other methods of noting the 10m circle, most notably whiskers (spaced out) or a 10m chain or rope on each basket.

Let's stay within the crux of the OP and not get fixated on "paint." From what I understand, no 10m circle is ever official; it is a guide. If you felt or knew they were off you certainly have a right to check with your card mates if it's your turn, and get confirmation. I'd think it was chicken s—- to call someone else on a fault by using such knowledge without saying something beforehand. Heck I do that even if it is marked correctly. Something like, "just so you know your inside the circle and if you fall forward or catch your balance in front of the marker it might be a foot fault" BEFORE they throw

Apologies. I got lost in the digression of Biscoe saying he had to mark Circle2, and mentioning paint. (The two miles isn't hyperbole, it's actually an understatement). Hundreds of whiskers will work, and of course at 20M it doesn't have to be exact. Though I'm still skeptical that it's worth the effort, anywhere below top-tier events.

You're right that the 10M circle isn't official. If it was drawn well, I can imagine players abiding by it, though.

Latest posts