• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Masters Cup Broadcast

Figured it out, the PDGA sent me the email, it's not that Ricky Chokes, he Wilts under pressure. "Despite being the world's second-ranked disc golfer, the knock on Ricky Wysocki in recent memory has been that, come crunch time, he wilts under the pressure."

I don't mean to sit on the fan boy fervor here by putting up what the PDGA wrote, but there is a good bit of evidence. ON the other hand, send all hate mail to [email protected].

The difference between a bad shot, or even a couple of bad shots and something more, is context. Ricky has had a number of tournaments where on one hole, late in the round, he melted, oh wait, wilted. Up to that "hole," he was clearly in it, was trading shots and chasing. At that hole, he would add two to four strokes, and you could tell, he was done. I've already given two cases, but he also did at Worlds, but it was much less spectacular. He started round five two strokes down. Traded strokes with Paul up and down the course until hole 17. On 17, he chained out from 15 feet, weak side. On 18, he hit a tree about twenty feet out off the tee, went deep into the shule, hit another tree in the shule, and came out with a double bogy. Within four throws he had added three strokes and it was pretty much over. After that he was fine except he dropped ground the entire last round. Now that one is harder to see, Paul was so spectacular that anything anyone did was going to look weak in comparison. The truth is that at least at USDGC and EO, you can argue that Paul didn't win as much as Ricky lost.

Now, I'm gonna admit, at some level, it is a feel thing. Up to the "hole" you felt it was a match. It felt like at any time, the lead could change. After the "hole" you could tell it was over. Is that because it gave Paul just enough that he could lay off? I don't know. It wasn't that Ricky would stop at that point, it just felt different. Now, I've not looked at every major from last year, but I'm thinking there had to be at least one more instance of this. Could be wrong.

Clearly, if Ricky was having something go wrong, he fixed it at Santa Cruz. BTW - Paul does it too. It's different for Paul. When he is down, typically to Ricky, getting late, he takes risky shots. He doesn't have this one hole wipe out, he just stops making the birds because he is, IMO, reaching to hard. Saw it at least twice last year, and at GBO this year.

On a completely different note, was really glad to see Barsby back. He's the guy I root for, well spoken, funny, and a great player. Hope he finishes strong this year.

Hope you're not patronizing me. I do realize that Ricky's three misses during that round were back-to-back-to back on hole 16 with the score tied, whereas Paul's 5 misses were more spread out.

Sorry for vigorously defending Rick, but I also vigorously defended Paul, too, when people claimed it was Paul saying that Ricky "chokes" when Paul didn't say that.

Paul got tabbed with that, but I'd heard it elsewhere long before Paul said anything. And, as pointed out, Paul simply said "if it's close, I've got a shot." Anyone can say that about any player. The reporter was making an interesting story.

On the other hand, go rewatch Maple Hill, Ricky held off Barsby and looked great. Clearly it ain't a universal axiom.

How many clutch putts from outside the circle for the win/tie is it going to take for Rick to lose the 'choker' label? Also: Everyone has 'choked'. Everyone, and- yes, this includes Paul McBeth..or at the very least cases could be made(instances available upon request). Only I think at their level it's commonly referred to as "a mental mistake".

Figured it out, the PDGA sent me the email, it's not that Ricky Chokes, he Wilts under pressure. "Despite being the world's second-ranked disc golfer, the knock on Ricky Wysocki in recent memory has been that, come crunch time, he wilts under the pressure."

I don't mean to sit on the fan boy fervor here by putting up what the PDGA wrote, but there is a good bit of evidence. ON the other hand, send all hate mail to [email protected].

The difference between a bad shot, or even a couple of bad shots and something more, is context. Ricky has had a number of tournaments where on one hole, late in the round, he melted, oh wait, wilted. Up to that "hole," he was clearly in it, was trading shots and chasing. At that hole, he would add two to four strokes, and you could tell, he was done. I've already given two cases, but he also did at Worlds, but it was much less spectacular. He started round five two strokes down. Traded strokes with Paul up and down the course until hole 17. On 17, he chained out from 15 feet, weak side. On 18, he hit a tree about twenty feet out off the tee, went deep into the shule, hit another tree in the shule, and came out with a double bogy. Within four throws he had added three strokes and it was pretty much over. After that he was fine except he dropped ground the entire last round. Now that one is harder to see, Paul was so spectacular that anything anyone did was going to look weak in comparison. The truth is that at least at USDGC and EO, you can argue that Paul didn't win as much as Ricky lost.

Now, I'm gonna admit, at some level, it is a feel thing. Up to the "hole" you felt it was a match. It felt like at any time, the lead could change. After the "hole" you could tell it was over. Is that because it gave Paul just enough that he could lay off? I don't know. It wasn't that Ricky would stop at that point, it just felt different. Now, I've not looked at every major from last year, but I'm thinking there had to be at least one more instance of this. Could be wrong.

Clearly, if Ricky was having something go wrong, he fixed it at Santa Cruz. BTW - Paul does it too. It's different for Paul. When he is down, typically to Ricky, getting late, he takes risky shots. He doesn't have this one hole wipe out, he just stops making the birds because he is, IMO, reaching to hard. Saw it at least twice last year, and at GBO this year.

I get it... you're going by your own "feel" after watching the events. Personally I like to use facts to assert my position. It's hard for me to call a guy with 77 wins, 68 of those since he won Worlds as a junior in 2010, 36 of those A-tier or higher, and 12 of those in NTs and majors as a guy who "wilts under pressure." Heck every shot at an NT or Major is a pressure shot and Ricky's now won the last two in a row. He also beat Paul by at Vibram last year coming from one stroke down starting the last round. Those facts don't line up with your "feeling." I dig your point, Lyle, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. Maybe the European Open and Worlds, just "looked" worse in your mind.

But I get it. There were people who called Phil Mickelson and Rory McIlroy the same thing for years.

I think Will fell short of demonstrating full control of balance before advancing on that winning putt.

Anyone have a link to the final round coverage?
Is the final round even out yet? I missed the live broadcast and have spend the past several days trying to avoid spoilers around here hoping to just see a damn YouTube embed.

What is the reasoning that CCDG didn't get the final round again??? Cause their videos seem to be coming out at a steady clip.

seems like Terry kinda gets first dibs? which is too bad cuz CCDG is faster and i prefer their commentary.

Anyone have a link to the final round coverage?

Is the final round even out yet? I missed the live broadcast and have spend the past several days trying to avoid spoilers around here hoping to just see a damn YouTube embed.

What is the reasoning that CCDG didn't get the final round again??? Cause their videos seem to be coming out at a steady clip.

Not yet.

It'll be at Terry's youtube page when it's out -- and the PDGA Masters Cup coverage will link it.

I get it... you're going by your own "feel" after watching the events. Personally I like to use facts to assert my position. It's hard for me to call a guy with 77 wins, 68 of those since he won Worlds as a junior in 2010, 36 of those A-tier or higher, and 12 of those in NTs and majors as a guy who "wilts under pressure." Heck every shot at an NT or Major is a pressure shot and Ricky's now won the last two in a row. He also beat Paul by at Vibram last year coming from one stroke down starting the last round. Those facts don't line up with your "feeling." I dig your point, Lyle, I'm just looking at it from a different perspective. Maybe the European Open and Worlds, just "looked" worse in your mind.

But I get it. There were people who called Phil Mickelson and Rory McIlroy the same thing for years.

You wouldn't patronize me now would you? You're making it a black and white issue, that's great for a debate, but not the real world. You're looking at the data and drawing a very interesting conclusion. A player has four bogies through a round, all on different holes, and that is the same as dropping four stokes on one hole, late in a round, where you can't possibly recover. The two situations are vastly different, but by numbers, in a flat sense, they look the same. In each case, the player dropped four stokes. You need a better metric. Number of strokes dropped per hole over a round is a bad measure. Number of stokes dropped in the last four holes of the final round is a better measure. The place where I started. I added in feel, simply because, well, the awful wilt aside, you can feel it. Turning on my magical make you watch video mind tool, go back and listen to the commentators. They are befuddled when this happens, it is clearly striking. All commentators point out when these top guys miss putts they normally hit, and drive weirdly. This is different, the number of strokes dropped in so little time has an impact, dare I repeat, you can feel it.

There is a lot of black and white going on here. "You're saying RW is a choker, RW has a reputation as a choker, and RW is a God, how can you not see that?" None of the above. RW is a supremely talented player, who on occasion, late in a round, loses several strokes in short order. It typically happens when he is at or near the lead, and in the cases where it happens, he doesn't wind up winning. Tisnt just my opinion, there's much discussion of the tendency, by both casual and non-casual commentators. It is numbers that can't be denied, but you can feel it too. Any one who tells me you can't feel a fail or a win needs to check their OS, the emotion routine isn't running.

Not yet.

It'll be at Terry's youtube page when it's out -- and the PDGA Masters Cup coverage will link it.
As much as I love Smashboxx they are really dropping the ball on this turnaround time. Feels exactly like the USDGC final round debacle last year (SpinTV doing a similar thing).

The whole 'strike while the iron is ice cold' mentality confuses me. People are talking about these events immediately after they happen and ESPECIALLY on the next Monday when everybody is at work. Why taking advantage of that 'heat' isn't priority number one.... I guess I don't understand (travel?).

In before:

"They aren't getting paid so shut up."
"No critique of free content allowed."
"You are part of the black spot so they don't care about your views"
"#GrowTheSport"

As much as I love Smashboxx they are really dropping the ball on this turnaround time. Feels exactly like the USDGC final round debacle last year (SpinTV doing a similar thing).

The whole 'strike while the iron is ice cold' mentality confuses me. People are talking about these events immediately after they happen and ESPECIALLY on the next Monday when everybody is at work. Why taking advantage of that 'heat' isn't priority number one.... I guess I don't understand (travel?).

In before:

"They aren't getting paid so shut up."
"No critique of free content allowed."
"You are part of the black spot so they don't care about your views"
"#GrowTheSport"

From what I understand, Terry agreed to certain terms made by the event coordinators to wait before releasing final round coverage until its super polished. So with that in mind, this video should be one of the best ones to date from smashboxxx.

Who talks about disc golf tournaments at work?
Seriously?

When do you think this board & r/discgolf are the most active. Business hours.

I wasn't implying that people sat around the water cooler and talked Masters Cup with their co-workers. Although I'm sure that is starting to happen on a small level.

Last edited:

Latest posts