• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

McBeth re-signs with Adidas, for money!

I could be wrong, but getting a mainstream company with widespread brand recognition like Adidas to budget for disc golf seems pretty big. I think it will help legitimize the sport to the uninitiated and the skeptical.

Just like Vibram.

Vibram's presence is great, however they are sort of a niche market, in an already niche market.

That and they haven't ever sponsored someone with the Star Power of McBeth.

I think Keen would be a better example of a bigger outside company throwing support our way.

Vibram's presence is great, however they are sort of a niche market, in an already niche market.

I think Keen would be a better example of a bigger outside company throwing support our way.

Agreed. However, I can't think of seeing anyone outside of disc golfers wearing Keen's shoes. Their sandals I see everywhere.

I wonder if they would ever venture into the "pre sale" market and create a shoe that will only go into production once they have that minimum 10,000 order. I honestly believe that they could relatively easily obtain 10,000 pre orders with the number of GTX shoes I see on the course. It seems that in my area 75% of the guys are rocking adidas. Give us a real disc golf purposed shoe and I bet it sells like crazy.

In case anyone is interested I started a poll on the Disc golf thrower exchange on facebook. IDK if it will stay posted depending on the Admins but head over and give it a vote if you feel like it

Just like Vibram.

Let me start by saying, I'm glad that both Vibram and Keen have been such solid supporters of the sport.

But the point I was trying to make is that as a brand name, Adidas reaches far more people (both domestically and globally) than Vibram and Keen combined. You could probably include Merrell in there as well, and still not have as many people recognize those brands as there are people who recognize Adidas.

Adidas may have made their name in shoes, but they sell all manner of sports related equipment and apparel, and have been around for long time.

Last edited:
Agreed. However, I can't think of seeing anyone outside of disc golfers wearing Keen's shoes. Their sandals I see everywhere.

Up here in Wisconsin, Keen shoes are very popular, along with Merrells. Pretty obvious the reasoning why. :D I have keen mid height boots and sandals.

With adidas Terrex running more our of its online storefront and less in big box retailers, it's not something that makes sense at the moment.

#growtheoutdoors

#trunkdealerlife

the division of gigantor adidas that would touch DG with now a 9.5-foot pole, not in stores. sounds about right.

Up here in Wisconsin, Keen shoes are very popular, along with Merrells. Pretty obvious the reasoning why. :D I have keen mid height boots and sandals.

I read that as "mid Thigh" boots the first time glancing over it. I love Adidas gear and this is a great move in the right direction for the sport. I wouldn't be surprised to see other players start getting some sort of deal like this from them and other companies.

10,000 pairs of shoes is a ton. Yeah people have bought them like crazy since Paul landed the merch deal, but let's not forget that we are disc golfers. How many of your buddies paid full rip price for theirs? A pre order dg specific shoe would more than carry a $120+ price tag. People flake out on $20 Facebook frisbee purchases and TDs have to pull teeth to get people to pre register and pay entry fees in advance.

A monetary deal for him is huge, but let's crawl before we can walk. Forking out the cash to wait several months for shoes only to make a fuss because your toe drag blew them out in 3 months is about par for the course around here.

He's_right_you_know.jpg

When I was a freshman in high school in 1971 I tried out for the basketball team in Chuck Taylors. They were heavy and didn't have very good traction. My friend's brother, who was a junior, gave me his old Adidas high tops. Those shoes transformed my game. I have been an Adidas fan ever since and now need to go get me some Terrex Swift R Gore-Tex DG shoes. Good job, Paul.

That's cool. Can anyone recommend a pair of waterproof Adidas with durable toes? I've got a pair of terrex fast x gtx that I blew through the right toe real quick from my forehand toe drag. Never had that issue with Keens. Glad to see Adidas stepping up here.
I got a pair of ax2s i've had for 2 years. their great, eventually they get soaked through in real wet conditions, and too hot most of the year.
I also have/had the non-waterproof version for the summer, but a stick got 'em just right and put a hole in the mesh top and the heal started to rub (also 2 years old, but way more use)

10,000 pairs of shoes is a ton. Yeah people have bought them like crazy since Paul landed the merch deal, but let's not forget that we are disc golfers. How many of your buddies paid full rip price for theirs? A pre order dg specific shoe would more than carry a $120+ price tag. People flake out on $20 Facebook frisbee purchases and TDs have to pull teeth to get people to pre register and pay entry fees in advance.

A monetary deal for him is huge, but let's crawl before we can walk. Forking out the cash to wait several months for shoes only to make a fuss because your toe drag blew them out in 3 months is about par for the course around here.

This is where our real problem lies and always will. Unless people are willing to put their money where their mouth is we as a sport will always be behind others. It is going to be hard to motivate any manufacturer to produce something specifically for us if we aren't willing to buy it. The funniest thing about it is that the people that are always saying #growthesport are often the ones that in fact do nothing to actually grow the sport :wall:

Maybe one day...

Thank you adidas and paul. Buying from the adidas outdoor site this month.

Congrats to Paul. He's being smart. I hope he has a great season this year.

Adidas has to love the kind of sales he's brought to them. They'd've been fools to walk away from whatever the deal was. Now if only they'd drop the regular price on the Terrex GTX to the $67 sale price that was out during the holidays. :D

I bought them on the last day of the sale 😁

Now I'm waiting for a shoe company to pop in and sponsor Ricky! Get a little more competition going.

Latest posts