• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

How are the new wooded holes?

Too tight & lots of scrub brush that needs to be cleared AND after you finish hole #14, I think, you end up walking across the fairway of #13 to get to #15. M-hmm. :doh:

Does anybody on here know anything about the Bay City course? Was up that way today where they are suppose to be putting it and still nothing. Has the city given up? Such a shame Bay City has sooo much to offer, a course up that way would sure to be a hit.

Cascade's new layout is refreshing... but not good. Very disorganized layout (as stated, long walks from hole to hole, and baskets/fairways crossing each other) the wooded holes are tight and challenging, which I like, but there is literally no fairways and on most holes, not even a walking path. Where you end up walking is about 2-3" of leaves laying over downed branches and gopher holes. Rough on the ankles. I do like that they brought some water into play on 17, and hole 11 is a massive downhill off the top of the sledding hill into trees. Tricky shot. I like it.

They lost most of their distance, as well. However, the whole point of this layout was to minimize danger to others in a multi-use park. They did a very nice job with this. There are very little risks to anyone besides the walking path on a few shots which is easy to watch for and avoid. No more parking lot risks, no more playground risk, no more soccer/baseball/lacrosse player risks, MUCH less danger to walkers. That deserves some kudos with all the bad media disc golf has gotten with recent accidents. They've also used the elevation very well. Instead of a 100' downhill putt on hole 5, they've reversed it to a ~140' uphill. Better challenge.

All in all, I think the layout is not only safer, it's more enjoyable. More interesting shots, some woods, less danger to the multi-use park. Before, I gave Cascade a 2★, now I'd give a 2.5★, with some paths/walkways/maintenance in the woods, I think it could go up a little more. Even better, if they moved 2 baskets/swapped basket and tee placement, or just changed hole numbers to make a more linear path to walk, it could even get up to a 3.5-4 possibly.

Strongly disagree that the new layout at Cascade is "more enjoyable." Now it's just an annoying walk in the park because some of us know there was a better proposed layout that the township chose to not use. That's certainly their prerogative. Not sour grapes; just extremely disappointed.

I really liked the old layout, despite it's few flaws <sniff>.

I like the woods and the water hole, but this is definitely a lot of added, and unnecessary walking (which with a current injury is not welcome) The layout needs some definite work, but I do find that overall, the holes are more interesting to me.

It can never be Fallasburg. ;)

added about five new courses to the registry this morning:
Marlette Golf Course
Buttles Park (Lewiston)
Yankee Springs Golf Course (Wayland)
Mecosta Twp Hall (Big Rapids)
Canadian Lakes DGC

go Michigan disc golf!!!

added about five new courses to the registry this morning:
Marlette Golf Course
Buttles Park (Lewiston)
Yankee Springs Golf Course (Wayland)
Mecosta Twp Hall (Big Rapids)
Canadian Lakes DGC

go Michigan disc golf!!!

No reviews yet?? Cooome ooon maaann!!

Good stuff, I get up toward Lewiston/Atlanta once in a while, it will be nice to see another option. Thanks for getting these posted.

Anybody heard about a new course in Hudsonville/Georgetown area at Rush Creek Park?

for some reason I am thinking this is private?
nick kohn has been posting on it though on facebook

I know Ella Sharp Park in Jackson just started cutting in the new course that will be there. I know a few of the guys involved with design. Sounds like it could be good!

Sad News...

Looks like Bonnie Brook was laid to rest today.

Course Conditions as of 1/4/2016:
Closed. Thank you for everything and for all of your support. (Last updated by TedS36486)
Doesn't seem like it's just closed for the winter. Nothing on DG Scene about it, nor on Facebook. I have a feeling Ted and the property owner came to some sort of impasse, whatever it might have been.

All the blood, sweat, tears (not to mention money) Lydia, he, and Brett put into that place. I played about 20 rounds there this year, and noticed tangible improvements literally every round. They were always tweaking, clearing, fixing, really pouring heart and soul into the course. I truly feel for them.

I'm apprehensive to ask what the deal is… don't wanna pour salt in the wound. :(

I'll hold a small glimmer of hope they'll reopen in spring, but...
Glad I was able to log so many rounds while it was still active.

Fondest memory: playing with my son, caught up to a group of five who offered to let us play through on 17... aced it with everyone watching.

Also hit a putt from this lie to card a 3 from #12's long tee (480'):

Attachments

• Bonnie Brooke #12 Long  - made putt for 3.jpg
    Bonnie Brooke #12 Long - made putt for 3.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I had heard whispers mid year that they may not have a chance to renew their lease but hoped they were just rumors. Bonnie was a great course. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that some kind of break through happens and they stick around!

I had heard whispers mid year that they may not have a chance to renew their lease but hoped they were just rumors. Bonnie was a great course. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that some kind of break through happens and they stick around!

This is too heartbreaking for me to even consider. I threw up a post on DGS to see if I can get a response. Losing Belle Isle and Bonnie would be tragic. The economic viability of running and maintaining a course is slight, they've done a wonderful job.

This is too heartbreaking for me to even consider. I threw up a post on DGS to see if I can get a response. Losing Belle Isle and Bonnie would be tragic. The economic viability of running and maintaining a course is slight, they've done a wonderful job.

Seconding all those thoughts. From two Detroit courses to zero in less than a year would be awful, especially with all the untold hours of hard work put into them.

Rush creek park

georgetown township park is in the ground. 9 holes short couseno tee signs like their other course at rosewood. first three holes are too close together. after that it spaces out better.
pitch and putt course or putter only course. park is located off 48th avenue turn right on first street past port sheldon going north. turn right then left then right park is straight ahead. first tee is right side of tennis court.

apparently, the current course in Greenville (Alan Davis) is going to be removed and the baskets moved to tower park next year. The current park has 9 baskets to 9 will be added to make an 18.
Kind of excited but kind of sad to see Davis go... it was an interesting little park :)