• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan weekend disc golf trip, what courses should we play???

I'll agree with Victory Pk, I played it just before Burchfield, the water holes at Victory are spectacular.

Finally someone that feels the same about Leviathan! I just never understood to hype.

Wow, we'll have to agree to disagree then. ;)

I'm by no means a good golfer but to me there are very few things better than a round at Leviathan from the longs. :shrugsmiley: :)

@ Leviathan: I spent a weekend up near Ludington, played all those area courses. They are pretty sweet. Leviathan is a really nice course, but there are a lot of holes that are very unforgiving if you can't hit the lines. This can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you like to play the long tees. My 2 cents there.

As for another suggestion, if you are going to be making your way South along the West coast, don't overlook Shore Acres. I play there regularly and have a blast. It's still pretty challenging, and a couple of holes can seem downright rediculous (5, 6, 18 long). My first round there was devistating, but it's grown on me over the summer. The only downside is the lack of other courses in the area to check out, so you're driving a little out of the way from the main stream.

Umm... ok

@ Leviathan: I spent a weekend up near Ludington, played all those area courses. They are pretty sweet. Leviathan is a really nice course, but there are a lot of holes that are very unforgiving if you can't hit the lines. This can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you like to play the long tees. My 2 cents there.

The longs are supposed to be difficult. They are championship caliber holes from there. There are 3 sets of tees to choose from to suit a players level.

This is the "hype" im talking about. IMO The course is solid, but its boring and doesn't really have character. Not even top 3 within 25 miles. :popcorn:

Last edited:
The longs are supposed to be difficult. They are championship caliber holes from there. There are 3 sets of tees to choose from to suit a players level.

It is a nice course, and it is challenging. However, it's not the kind of challenge that every disc golfer loves.

When I go out and play a new course, I enjoy the challenge of looking at a hole and planning out how to beat it. What path to take. When I make a bad shot, it's nice to be able to look around from my lie and see what kind of shot I can take to get back in the game.

Now, at Leviathan many holes you walk up to the tee and see the tight fairway and you see the basket. You make your shot, and if you don't hold the line and go into the woods then you find yourself in a position where the only move you can make is pitch it back to the fairway and try again. To me, that's more frustrating and repetitive than enjoyable.

Still, as I said, it's a nice course. I would not tell anyone that they should skip over it. It's just not a course that I look at and go "Man, I want to play that again and again."

OP Ill be in Grand Rapids and would be happy to be a guide at Fallasburg.

Other than Fallasburg you are better off checking out the more northern courses mentioned by others. Riverside Park is the only other notable course in GR area worth maybe stopping at, but is by no means a destination course.

Not enough Fallasburg love in here. My best suggestion for OP is to hit something on the way through to Lowell (Lansing, etc), do Fallasburg, continue up 131 to Big Rapids and play the course there (an underrated course, in my opinion.) And then go to Flip City following that, and then Ludington.

As a resident, I'd say skip Northern Ohio until you hit all the gems in MI. Norwalk (Great Blue Heron) is probably the best in the area, but it doesn't come close to what MI has to offer.

I'll second Deerfield Park in Mt. Pleasant. Not only my favorite course in Michigan buy my favorite course ever. A little bit of everything on this one.

I will also mention that if you go to mason county and dont play goliath, you are truly missing out... Goliath is the ABSOLUTE GEM of this complex... punishing but fair and some of the most insane lines you will EVER see!!

I didn't see Fallasburg Park (in Lowell, MI, near Grand Rapids) mentioned in the above comments. It is outstanding. The course in Hastings just 25 or 30 minutes south is also good (certainly big), then you can wind your day down with an evening at their Waldorf Brewpub.

In the soon future my buddies and I r making a weekend discing trip. We are from the Metro detroit area and have played all the courses around here such as:
kennington(toboggan and black locust)
Hudson Mills
Holly woods
Stoney Creek
Addison Oaks
etc...

We want to play flip city for sure, maybe the beauty and the beast in luddington, and maybe some courses in traverse city. Also debating maybe northern ohio(dont know whats down there).

I want to know your thoughts about what other courses are MUST PLAYS?

any help is much appreciated, thanks!

I have instant paypall for mysitic mills/Hudson mills halloween discs. A lil paypal may help with the trip.

I have instant paypall for mysitic mills/Hudson mills halloween discs. A lil paypal may help with the trip.

Interesting, are you saying Hudson Mills puts out a special Halloween disc? Is it for sale to anyone? I am heading there this weekend, stopping to play Hudson Mills (original) before heading over to tailgate for the U of M / MSU game (3:30). May have to take a look and see what they have for sale there.

Interesting, are you saying Hudson Mills puts out a special Halloween disc? Is it for sale to anyone? I am heading there this weekend, stopping to play Hudson Mills (original) before heading over to tailgate for the U of M / MSU game (3:30). May have to take a look and see what they have for sale there.

Tournament stamps for the Mystic Mills tournament A3 holds every year. 1 day/1 glow round IIRC.

Yea the glo round discs are SOMETIMES non productin mold glos. Plus they have the most wicked cool stamps.

I loved Independence Park. Hudson Mills, Black Locust, and Independence would be a fantastic day. Plus you could visit one of the coolest cities in Michigan along the way (Ann Arbor). You could stop at The Throw Shop and CJ's for new plastic. Just bring some semi-cold weather gear. It's getting cold fast.

Latest posts