• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mold Consolidation - Replacement Disc Advice

Hahaha, well....ya know. One for super flippy, one for hyzerflips and powered down straight shots. The freshie for some fade and line holding.

If I could throw rhfh I'd probably bag something else, but having those three stages is suuuuuper important for us bh exclusive folks IMO.

lost two patriots yesterday.

those lighter patriots have zero durability; i'd put them on par with pro at best. i lost one and bagged a freshie yesterday at BRP (lost it on the same hole, same shot, same spot, awesome) and the first tree i hit bent the parting line WAAAAAAY down.

so now i'm buying some of the stiffer pinnacle and i find i really do like them. gonna be terrible in the cold/wet but they'll last so much longer. i'm down to 3 of the original 5. :\ of course i bought two more but my first one was getting really nice and flippy, would've been a roller in a month or two.

kc roc is getting uglier and uglier; put a fresh one in the bag and kept on rockin'. it has parts where the bead is just GONE, dunno if it hit a sharp rock or what, but it still holds any line whatsoever and won't really turn yet. very impressed with kc plastic. they need to make more stuff in it.

in other words, they need to make polecats and teebirds in it.

stiff star teebird got used a lot yesterday due to the wind, started throwing rollers too since it's pretty OS it won't turn easily from a well-gauged two finger roller. it's funny how bulletproof that thing is, it's remarkably similar to 750 plastic or the super stiff pinnacle.

really got to see what could hack it in the wind yesterday. pretty much just the stiff star TB, my xxx and my superflat, freaky OS giant. even fresh vip giants were turning into that wind and not coming back. i never really threw my tb into a headwind directly; that would've been disastrous, but it held to the crosswind for the most part.

Last edited:
well, life happens and i've realized i need to not focus on DG so much. i'm not going to be a touring pro and taking dg serious just sucks the fun out of it for me so i'm in the process of selling the vast majority of my stash. gonna have fun dicking around with different setups again. i 'd like to go back to gazelles and have some more fun with that older stuff. i really like how the older molds fly.

wizard or vp, haven't decided yet.
polecat or soft P anode, probably the polecat.

vector

gazelle
pro leopard

h1
volt or pd

something for absolute max d, maybe a havoc or bolt or something. i dunno. and something for heady max d.

if i go with the vp i'll want a workably OS mid to bridge the gap between the relatively straight gazelle and the lower speeds.

if i go with the wizard or kc aviar again i'll go with the tensor or hornet to power down on for my OS putter role. if i go with the soft p anode, i'll probably go with the VP instead of the polecat since i won't really be using the vp for putting if i'm throwing a soft p anode. anode would get putts instead. *shrug* i dunno, basically gonna throw stuff and build a small second bag for kicks and giggles.

Last edited:
i dunno, it was more of a "i'm just not going to have time to focus on dg for a while" sort of thing. i got all amped up and cabin fevery during the winter, thinking i'd come out and throw tourneys, etc. and i realized that i just don't really care about that stuff when i have so much else i can do to just further my life in general. it'll be just for funsies from here on out. i'm not the next mcbeth so why bother worrying about it?

I'm signed up for two tournaments this year, both in May. So I've basically set my bag to be what it is through them, and then I'll spend the rest of the summer throwing new stuff, or revisiting old stuff, and just having fun.
I got bogged down in practice and fieldwork and setting my bag last spring and it sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me. I know that's all in my mindset, but I was a lot happier playing the rest of the summer with new stuff in my bag and not prepping for tournaments, and skipping disc golf to go fishing or whatever else I wanted to do. When it didn't feel like work anymore, it was a lot more fun.

TLDR - Hope you maintain the fun. We'll have to get a round in sometime this summer.
Just don't stop throwing Polecats. They are the best.

threw together a random bag today and had a blast.

vp
polecat

gazelle
leopard

pd (s and p)
xxx

giant
katana (BOOM).

had a blast today at acorn throwing this setup. it was tough not having a mid, for sure. first time EVER throwing a leopard; what a great disc!! bought an echo star katan and holy balls that thing is giving me my longest throws ever. nuts. have to say the only major gap is a disc like a vector or hornet. i definitely noticed it, but whatevs. hopefully i can pick up a beefy gazelle??? putting with the VP was great. extremely consistent, my putting was actually more consistent than usual but i did end up missing a few left. very fun! wound up finding the extra 30-50' i've been missing out of that katana. holy balls does it go. same with the ppd!

I'm glad to see you switching the bag up. I like to hear about experimentation. Don't always have them in my bag but I really like all the speed 6 discs (well except the Leopard, too much dome and isn't comfortable in the hand).

Proshop Circle Stamp Gazelles didn't fly like Gazelles at all the few times I threw them but the CS Cheetahs seem to be what a beefier dx Gaz should be. If you can find one of the Cheetahs I bet you would love it.

It was a lot more fun than I'm used to. The pro Leo flew like a bawss (Not a boss)I really liked it from A standstill. The speed 6/5 feel so much more comfy for thumbers, too.

Interest to hear your take on the .cs gazelle? how did it fly?

For me it flew more like a banshee. Had about no glide too. Didn't hyzer out as soon as you throw it but I wouldn't call it a more stable Gaz at all. Doesn't even look like a Gaz, it is WAY higher in PLH which makes its proportions a lot different. I only throw fairways 300' though it would certainly fly different for you.

The cs Cheetah is a real nice flyer, really a lot like a slightly shorter Teebird. Still shorter than a dx Gaz but I am sure they beat in to a nice disc (mine is still pretty fresh). If you want to try one out let me know.

The f2 I got in the mp is actually has a lot of turn. It's pretty flat. The regular pro shop star I bought before when I used the gazelle was quite straight, just like a fresh dx.

Dudee the domey stiff Echo Katanas go so. stinkin. far. I prefer the domey stiff E* Destros, but the Katanas go farther overall.

hmmmm.

probably gonna go cannon/pd2 combo in a bit here, after i sell the rest of my discs. the katana is good, but i think i'd probably like the distance and overstability of the pd2 more than the giant, especially with the fact it's available in p-line. if they make gpd2's that'd be awesome. plus i've never really thrown a cannon except for way back and i hear they go farther than katanas.

as far as the pd, man why did i ever drop them! such a fun and versatile disc.

threw with no mids today, didn't even miss them. the leo and gazelle are such a great combo. maybe i'll pick up a champ soon.

Dudeee! Cannon Pd2 would be a killer combo. I'm playing around with Cannons right now and I honestly believe they are the farthest disc on the market.

They are consistently outflying my Destroyers by about 30'. It's so crazy.

I started toying with PDs a few day back too. It's a SOLID mold man!! I love mine. NO turn at all but it still actually flies. I put mine out over 400 today, about 15ft to the right and pin high on a 415' hole. Loving it. When I ordered my Gstar Vroc3s I put a "flatter C-line PD xout" in my cart. I'm excited for it!

Latest posts