• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

More Distance/ form help

caleb1989

I have two videos, the first one is with a run up, the second is standstill/ one step throws. First of all I play a lot usually 5-7 times a week and I fear that I learned wrong from the start and have some very bad habits, I have been told that my x step form is not good, but I'm not sure we're to start, I believe that my actual throwing motion is not to bad I get decent snap, I just don't seem to get any help from the lower body in the 1st video I am throwing around 300' in the second video from a standstill I am throwing 300' to 320' and thus my problem I can throw just as far and sometimes farther from my stand still. Please help me I just feel like something is not clicking Thanks
https://youtu.be/q_IjkHX-FTQ
https://youtu.be/3ij-nAFInHc

I am still learning and don't have any specific advice to offer, other than to let you know that yes, many, many of us play for a long time with bad habits. Almost all of us have to 'start over' which feels very, very uncomfortable. Just remember that it's not uncommon, and it's really the only way to becoming a better player.

Hopefully someone with technical advice can come in and help more specifically!

Your footwork and balance are a hot mess. In your standstill you are leaning/tipping back and never get balanced forward. Because you lean back over so far you can't turn into/inside your rear leg further. In your x-step you step too backward with the left foot and then lean back over it instead of striding more sideways in dynamic upright balance. Your rear toes go airborne before your heel, so you are pushing off the heel which is not athletically moving you forward. You also tilt your whole body and arm and disc anhyzer in your reachback which is also rather high. Keep the disc plane matched to your shoulder plane and tilt your chest forward toward your knees so when your turn your shoulders, your front shoulder rotates back under your other shoulder. Watch Brinster's shoulders and disc plane.

Thanks for the feedback I knew that my form has major issues and you gave me a lot to work on. One question though when you say that I step to far backward with my left foot at what point in my throw am I doing that?

The x-step before you plant and throw. You don't really want your feet to be turning, you want them to be striding sideways more naturally and you turn your body into the feet.

Ive been out in the field workin on some things like trying to get my weight forward , I have using some of the drills you recommended and I think it's better but video shows otherwise. When it comes down to it how important is getting your weight forward? How would you recommend practicing it in the field. Thanks Again

Ive been out in the field workin on some things like trying to get my weight forward , I have using some of the drills you recommended and I think it's better but video shows otherwise. When it comes down to it how important is getting your weight forward? How would you recommend practicing it in the field. Thanks Again
It is the correct way to swing, otherwise your swing plane will never be right and struggle with timing and nose issues. It will be awkward and it just take lots of practice, lots! I pretty much did the one-leg and feet together drills throwing and standstill with putters and mids and fairway drivers for quite some time.