• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Diverse Overstable Fairway

Most Diverse Overstable Fairway Driver

• HPP Blaze

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Champ Whippet X

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Opto Trident

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 43 58.9%

• Total voters

jdw80550

* Ace Member *
I know there have been a bunch of threads about what is a good overstable fairway driver, but my question is, I'm only going to carry one, which will not just be a utility driver, but a regually used driver. Choices I have are HPP Blaze, Whippet X, or a Trident.

Champ banshee is what I use. Great for OH, flex, sidearm, wind, and an overstable driver.

whippet X is very overstable from what I've heard, and I think the trident is comparable to the banshee. don't know anything about the blaze though

Champ banshee is what I use. Great for OH, flex, sidearm, wind, and an overstable driver.

whippet X is very overstable from what I've heard, and I think the trident is comparable to the banshee. don't know anything about the blaze though

Trident is very overstable. Moreso than a banshee, probably almost as much as a whippet. (at least the ones of each i've thrown)

I use a glo and star whippet x, thr star is flat and stupid overstable. The glo has the normal whippet dome and is nice and beefy. I have an 11x that has more glide to it but its still very stable. This is my go to disc for when I need a big hyzer shot and has a nice predictable, heavy fade. Also good for OH and skip shots.

Trident is money, and feels just as overstable, if not more than the glow whippet I threw.

idk though, surge and I disagree on which is better, but we can throw the same shots with each.

I voted Trident, but I advise you to check out the dome and PLH b/c like XXX's there are Tridents that are less of a meathook and therefor more versatile. But I like Banshees too.

See if you can grab one of the new flat-top champion glow firebirds. Picked up one recently and can't believe what a meathook it is. More overstable and shorter in distance (less glide) than an 11x. It flies like a mid but skips like a driver because of the wide wing. I've played some stupid crazy skip shots with mine. Just wish I could still throw thumbers (shoulder's messed up) because it'd probably be money in that department too.

Champ Whippet-X gets my vote.

Can't be turned over, FH/BH, giving it bomb capability without crashing and still getting maximum fade.

Because of it's SUPER overstability, it's great for big turnovers.

Makes a decen forhand roller that you can really put some muscle in to.

As for thumber or tomohawks, the Whippet-X is extremely predictable at a all angles of release. Great pancake tomo disc as well.

Huge skipper. Nice big, tall, quick skips as opposed to long "wraith-like" skips -- as I call 'em. Skips can be precisely place with this one. Predictable skipping discs are hard to come by.

The only disc that I spike besides my Firechickens. These make excellent spike hyzer discs, FH/BH

Need anyone say more????

I voted Trident, but I advise you to check out the dome and PLH b/c like XXX's there are Tridents that are less of a meathook and therefor more versatile. But I like Banshees too.

I thought the trident was a nice overstable disc too. I just prefer my whippets too. I agree they can be thrown on the same shots. Only threw it once but it cut through the wind well. Which ones have more dome? I threw a GL, and is was pretty flat from what I remember. Are the optos domier?

Champ Whippet-X gets my vote.

Can't be turned over, FH/BH, giving it bomb capability without crashing and still getting maximum fade.

Because of it's SUPER overstability, it's great for big turnovers.

Makes a decen forhand roller that you can really put some muscle in to.

As for thumber or tomohawks, the Whippet-X is extremely predictable at a all angles of release. Great pancake tomo disc as well.

Huge skipper. Nice big, tall, quick skips as opposed to long "wraith-like" skips -- as I call 'em. Skips can be precisely place with this one. Predictable skipping discs are hard to come by.

The only disc that I spike besides my Firechickens. These make excellent spike hyzer discs, FH/BH

Need anyone say more????
Couldnt have said it better. Whippet got my vote for these reasons right here.
:hfive:

I really enjoy the slanted but I chose a XXX over the trident because I can get a little more distance out of it, and it won't hook immediately unless powered down a bit. Opto Tridents seem to be very flat these days, feels like a flat fb, but are not good at opposing gravity. Only thrown these in Opto as of posting.

Blaze flies like a WhippetX, just a few physical differences: more of an X wing, a slightly less blunt nose, bit wider diameter, and the HPP tends to be domey. I do prefer the Blaze over the Whippet mainly due to its availability and I prefer a little flex to my plastic which the GloChamp doesn't seem to offer (one of my blazes tacos beautifully).

Banshees are nice though, just a faster whippet, but I wish they came in star.

XXX is what is in my bag after days of throwing these side by side.

I thought the trident was a nice overstable disc too. I just prefer my whippets too. I agree they can be thrown on the same shots. Only threw it once but it cut through the wind well. Which ones have more dome? I threw a GL, and is was pretty flat from what I remember. Are the optos domier?

Here's a knowledge bomb about Lat. 64 run to run differences by Jeronimo over at DGR: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20266

Basically, the more domey the Trident, the more massively overstable it is. So I'd stick with a flat one if you want it to push forward a bit before it fades.

I'm unclear here. Wouldn't a neutral driver be more versatile?

I have a champ Banshee that I carried until I got my Predator, then it took a back seat. The Predator has become one of the most important utility discs in my bag.

I voted Trident

I have some flat ones (flat like an 11x FB) and they are nicely workable
I threw one on a FH anhyzer and I got surprised as it held the turn a little longer than I would have expected. Very strong fade though and will always come back

I have since picked up some of the "domier" optos and in comparison the wing profile looks a little different but I can't really see if clearly enough to properly comment on the PLH

I picked up the domey ones on the basis of the overstability comments in the thread from DGR

Edit: having said all that I would think that Whippet/Trident fall more in to the utility category

whereas a Pred or FB (or XXX for even more stability) would fall more into the overstable regular use category

Champ whippetx is the most stable. close to that is a champ viper. glo whippets arent as stable as the regular champs.