• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Unique baskets/targets you have putted into

Casey 1988

Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!
I Have wondered what is the most unique course targets or baskets you ever got to play on. Can even be a single odd basket on a course.

I got to play a course that had homemade baskets from 1980 with a pole/post course in the spot since 1978, Omaha park had those Rebar home made baskets still in the 2000's. That was a treat putting into a piece of disc golf history.

Also got to play the old layout of the University St Mary near Winnona Minnesota, one hole basket was over water that had a old late 1940 to early-mid 1950's pickup truck 3/4 in the water, might have even been a WWII International pickup truck. The course has since been modified for player safety as some students strapped for cash would go in the nasty water for discs to sell online, so to stop that they moved the course to avoid that part of campus entirely and due to the Cross country Ski and running course is right near that spot on the other side of that pond with only some brush to stop the discs.

Last edited:
The Goat Path's baskets! :cool: :thmbup:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=4305&mode=media#

One thing I wish he did when I looked at the now possibly closed course, is that he made it so all bottom disc entrapment devices were the same height. The tops all appear to be same diameter or close enough that to me those are not a problem.

He did a great job of getting tee pads all something then just dirt, impressive for a home course.

Last edited:
The original targets at NSRA in Sedro Wooley were pretty impressive. My favorite was the grain chute one on hole 12. But the only picture on this site is the giant hole 18. Lame.

And of course someone is going to bring up the Lake Stevens baskets.

But nothing beats the natural targets at Spirit Ridge, made of bamboo and native woods.

a lot of campsite courses have homemade janky ass baskets

I went to a KOA Near Kansas City Missouri and they had with big concrete pads under them to keep in place 3 Lighting DB-5 that had a second set of chain dded to them with an S hook in, closed off on the basket chain topper so the chain does not slide. The second set of chain was worthless due being thin lightweight aluminum that each chain is the same shape and size as full chain but thinner. For the second inner ring they used the main ring and got the length right for the second chain so the outer set fell naturally. It was not really a course, no tee pad/tee maker for the 3 baskets but I could almost have a small course, just marked the run up end with a mini for the first tee off when making a mini hole and practiced makeshift holes until the sun went down.

Not sure if this qualifies really, But the lighthouse basket at Silver Creek in Manitowac WI along Lake Michigan is pretty epic looking. And when the wind off the lake is up, pretty frustrating lol.

Back in 2014, about half the holes on the Grayling Rotary - Pine Knoll course handcrafted wooden baskets:
5ea172fd.jpg

Not sure if they're still there, but I thought they added a bit of charm and character to the course, and I've never seen anything like them on another course.

Last edited:
veterans in muscle shoals, al. discs lip out around the curved edge like crazy

7f23f0b03e6a.jpg

A Few That I Have Pics Of

This is one of the original baskets at Jumonville Glen before they replaced them with Disc Nation Liberty baskets.

picture.php

This old fellow had seen better days when I played at Embshoff Woods. Yes, the tray was sitting on the ground. This was in 2012.

picture.php

I took this one of Idlewild #13 while on the same trip as the Embshoff Woods pic above.

picture.php

One of Timberlink's Fly 18 Designer Pro bakets. RIP.

picture.php

The old homemade Bulldog Bayou baskets were fun, they had like oil drum pieces and bike tires as parts and mainly old area rugs as pads too.

The ones a Hornings Hideout with the truck tire bottoms are interesting too. Ring like a bell when you miss low.

This is one of the original baskets at Jumonville Glen before they replaced them with Disc Nation Liberty baskets.

picture.php

This old fellow had seen better days when I played at Embshoff Woods. Yes, the tray was sitting on the ground. This was in 2012.

picture.php

I took this one of Idlewild #13 while on the same trip as the Embshoff Woods pic above.

picture.php

One of Timberlink's Fly 18 Designer Pro bakets. RIP.

picture.php

I remember another course I played that had the top basket, I forgot the course becuse it was so poorly designed for the holes, one of the holes you had to layup or end up if you missed long at all were 100% ending up in the road. I found a Drone on that course in Pro D but that disc plastic was still made for that mold till the end of that year.

That Idewild Basket it looks like an honest attempt at an early Marksman type basket, but after the Gateway model became hard to find.

The Fly 18 was later copied by Quest 18 but they used a one molded PVC for the 3 parts. Those do not last a winter, an aunt who used to play had it in her front yard in western NY.

Last edited:
^That should be Quest AT in the above post, the basket was a Quest 18. So Quest AT ripped off a odd basket design almost identical even with part of the name for basket.

These pits at Chennault Park Original.
8186ea25.jpg

Most of those should have a metal pole or the like, I have played a course in California that on the board for the course was some history for the course and they had almost the same but the inner part was a concrete over metal pole thing like found in some parking lots but unpainted. They had old style Innova Discater Pro models for the modern baskets.

picture.php

Where is Jumonville Glen? I may have played there with those exact old baskets sometime in the 2000's. If that is in the Finger Lakes of NY then yes I played there, however the baskets when I played most had wood for the top middle post part, only a few did not.

picture.php

Where is Jumonville Glen? I may have played there with those exact old baskets sometime in the 2000's. If that is in the Finger Lakes of NY then yes I played there, however the baskets when I played most had wood for the top middle post part, only a few did not.

Jumonville Glen is in PA, just outside of Uniontown, about an hour East of Pittsburgh.

Lake Orient Recreation and Greenfield Lake in Iowa.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-18-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-18-59.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-16-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-08-12-21-16-50.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 95
Homemade baskets in Thompson, IA and the cones are at the KOA Campground in Owatonna, MN

Attachments

• D308171D-163B-4A59-8753-884533EA1E17.jpeg
    D308171D-163B-4A59-8753-884533EA1E17.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 28823FCE-4804-4638-BA82-3378227FDAA2.jpeg
    28823FCE-4804-4638-BA82-3378227FDAA2.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 68

Latest posts