• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Unique baskets/targets you have putted into

Homemade baskets in Thompson, IA and the cones are at the KOA Campground in Owatonna, MN

I was going to mention the cones. I haven't played any yet but I've seen pictures. I'll be playing Hansen and Moir in late September. I'm excited to finally see these things.

at the now-extinct Lake Murray Lodge course in Lake Murray, OK:

0b941c35_m.jpg

i'm sure someone older than me knows the story with these things

For me it's definitely the baskets at Lake Stevens in Washington state. IIRC the locals call them Dr. Fred baskets.

45a05158.jpg

Discussion regarding Dr. Fred Baskets.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51316

Every basket is a little different. Some are more akin to your typical basket, some are completely blocked off from one side so you have to approach from a particular side. I was very thankful to join some locals who were able to tell me the best spot to land for a look at a putt.

For me it's definitely the baskets at Lake Stevens in Washington state. IIRC the locals call them Dr. Fred baskets.

45a05158.jpg

Discussion regarding Dr. Fred Baskets.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51316

Every basket is a little different. Some are more akin to your typical basket, some are completely blocked off from one side so you have to approach from a particular side. I was very thankful to join some locals who were able to tell me the best spot to land for a look at a putt.

I believe that Scott Stokely had featured this basket on his YouTube Chanel.

Jumonville Glen is in PA, just outside of Uniontown, about an hour East of Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the info!

Then I played some other baskets that were alomost like these in the Finger Lakes of NY but most of the baskets were all wood except for the chains and screws, only about 2 baskets had the metal pole on top. The course had hole 2 or 3 being the one that you had to lay up to the front of the basket or the disc would 100% be in the road. Course was semi-public as it was part of a Boys and Girls club or similar organisation that owned the baskets but did not own the park the course was on.

I was going to mention the cones. I haven't played any yet but I've seen pictures. I'll be playing Hansen and Moir in late September. I'm excited to finally see these things.

A tip An uncle and cousin had when they played those baskets in the 2000's. One cousin got an Aerobie Arrow in Minnesota and the uncle had a 100 mold or Ultimate disc with him to make putting easier, they got the tip from the reviews and how to get to the course online they printed out From PDGA for some of the must hit courses like the cone holes or a very challenging course, the one used for the Minnesota Majestic. those old baskets need a deep lid disc golf disc or something deep and slow like the Aerobie Arrow or a slow catch disc (uncle made sure his was PDGA approved) to make it easier to putt into.

Last edited:

This Video also helps, the guy who first putts makes it with an older 1990-mid 2000's style 100 mold. They are at Moir.

Last edited:
These pits at Chennault Park Original.
8186ea25.jpg

I have played this course ! It was one of the "most fun" courses I've played!

Not terribly long, but requires accuracy and placement to be able to drop your putt into the pipe. The Blue and Green courses on site are pretty darn good also!!

How did I forget to mention Scott Papa's trick baskets he had for Howliewood at his private Dalaiwood course? One had coated chains so they wouldn't catch, one had welded chains so they REALLY wouldn't catch, and one was about 15' tall. Oh, how I miss that course.

My son and I played on the cone baskets at Moir Park today, just to experience them for ourselves.

I really didn't have any expectations about how different it would be from a "normal" basket with chain, but it didn't take long to realize:

1) Cone targets have a much shorter vertical profile to hit your putt.
2) Since I normally focus on one link when putting, I found it hard to focus on where I wanted my put to go... other than on the cone. It just seemed to present a filed of green, rather than a focal point.
3) I found the sound of hitting a hollow drum that resonates less satisfying than the ching of chains... but I suppose that's at least partially a conditioned response.

All in all, glad I stopped to play the course. Never would have thought it was as different as it was. Neither of us thought they rejected any shots that should have gone in.

Played to a lot of different targets in the long ago. The course in my hometown had pole holes installed at the outset, so nothing weird there. The course down the road in Ottumwa had coneheads.

Then there were lots of small courses scattered around the state that had all sorts of targets. Played to tone poles, butterfly nets, through hoops, to baskets in the ground, all manner of painted trees/utility poles, homemade pole holes utilizing truck tires and bushel baskets and such.

I actually kind of miss having that variety of targets. Each type forced adjustments to throws and approaches in different ways. The standardization of targets has removed a lot of the need for learning to finesse the disc in the same fashion.

Is the top permanent no movement or does it Clang like a bell?

It is in a windy state Oklahoma how would that not be clanging all the time if it is like a bell system?

It's permanent and doesn't move in the wind. It clangs quite loudly but just when something impacts it, such as a disc.

It's permanent and doesn't move in the wind. It clangs quite loudly but just when something impacts it, such as a disc.

Okay, I don't see how that is possible But I will take your word, might have to do with being a round object at to why the wind does not affect it unlike something hitting it.

Okay, I don't see how that is possible But I will take your word, might have to do with being a round object at to why the wind does not affect it unlike something hitting it.

If I were to venture a guess...

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole that's secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole that's secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.

I forgot physics, until later how wind goes around something cylindrical or round to not affect the wind. I mentioned this on an earlier post. It is why oil, gas, and propane trucks are more rounded when transporting those items.

The inside top of the tube shaped tone part of the pole is probably welded to the pole thatÂ's secured to the ground. Then the rest of the tube shaped part of the tone pole is left to resonate. Hope that makes sense.

Also in my area People would steal the top part for money by scrapping, have a few people who make a living doing that in town or just to steal like some hoping to get actual basket replacements.

I know a guy who helped with my dad, my brother, and a friend design a course the less nice guy who tried to take all the credit including deciding what baskets were getting put in place and that he set them out that he eventually stole one of the old Lighting DB-5 on the course before the round Base was set in concrete at one point when they first got set out.

The Steamboat Park course in Pierre (pronounced Pier) South Dakota had these Lighting DB-5 baskets before it got some old Mach III top on the Lightning baskets basically turning the Lightning DB-5 basket into a modern Mach III, this was before the Lighting Baskets even got a second set of chains close to what was already on there eventually using S hooks to hold them to the top and make a ring on the bottom for the new chains.

Last edited:

Latest posts