• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Is anyone planning on hitting up Eagle's Crossing? It has a 5.0 rating with only 2 reviews, so I'm wondering where on the list it'll be once it gets enough reviews.

Is anyone planning on hitting up Eagle's Crossing? It has a 5.0 rating with only 2 reviews, so I'm wondering where on the list it'll be once it gets enough reviews.

Two of us played it last Oct, both would have given it between 4.25 and 4.5. I didn't do a review because nightfall chased us out at hole 14 or so. Site rules frown on reviews on partially completed courses.

A few really unique holes, lots of variety from the different tees. Nice setting. Nothing is easy but most are fair. Cons? Too much artificial OB for my taste, expensive to play, several baskets quite close to water (fine for pros, risk of disc loss for most of us). Navigation a bit tricky at times. It is also remote with limited cell signal. Very pricey pro shop for snacks/drinks.

Should you play it? Yes.

Taking a road trip end of summer to Iowa through St Louis and debating whether to play Eagle's Crossing. I don't throw very far and it seems like it might be beyond me. $25 seems high for disc golf as it stands right now. Also time might be an issue with all the driving we have to do. On the fence

Taking a road trip end of summer to Iowa through St Louis and debating whether to play Eagle's Crossing. I don't throw very far and it seems like it might be beyond me. $25 seems high for disc golf as it stands right now. Also time might be an issue with all the driving we have to do. On the fence

It is a unique venue, but like you, I don't think I have enough distance to really make it fun.

It is a unique venue, but like you, I don't think I have enough distance to really make it fun.

There are red and white tees on every hole as well. From the reds, there are no long water carries, and birdies are possible for rec players. We played some blue (the RR hole--gotta play that one blue), some white, and some red (I am 300' max on most throws)--didn't lose any discs. It is probably more fun for longer arms, but still fun from the reds...

Troll MikeMiller is again making his presence known. Have fun with this one Michiganers. SPOILER: It involves Flip City.

I guess my review immediately below this one is going to get completely overlooked now.

Last edited:
There are red and white tees on every hole as well. From the reds, there are no long water carries, and birdies are possible for rec players. We played some blue (the RR hole--gotta play that one blue), some white, and some red (I am 300' max on most throws)--didn't lose any discs. It is probably more fun for longer arms, but still fun from the reds...

I've only seen it on YouTube a few times.

Sounds like you had a good time. If you could play it regularly how frequently would you choose to pay to play it? Ie spend $ on it?

I've only seen it on YouTube a few times.

Sounds like you had a good time. If you could play it regularly how frequently would you choose to pay to play it? Ie spend $ on it?

As someone who lives in St. Louis, I'll probably play it once or twice a year, more likely once given the number of courses in the St. Louis area.

I went back and forth a bit on whether I wanted to give it 4.5 or 5 on my review. There's a lot of factors such as artificial OB, difficulty, and cost that I'm betting will put it closer to 4.5 overtime. For me personally, the design of the course was enough to overlook these factors, plus I'm personally not as put off by some of these things as other reviewers.

Troll MikeMiller is again making his presence known. Have fun with this one Michiganers. SPOILER: It involves Flip City.

I guess my review immediately below this one is going to get completely overlooked now.

I think this is now his fourth attempt posting a troll review of Flip for attention. Yawn.

Fairly certain he did not even play the course.

This was interesting to hear. Looking forward to your reviews. I've been eyeballing Selah for awhile now and to be honest, it just doesn't look that appealing. Either of them. Bucksnort is next on my top ten hit list, once Caliber gets the second course in fully that'll be next. Selah and BRP are questionable top tens. BRP isn't even top ten in MN, much less the world.

I liked the Trey Deuce courses more than Selah. Selah Creekside was pretty damn fun, though. The water holes were pretty great.

Bucksnort is pretty damn great.

BRP is a long ways from being a top 10 course. Maybe ten years ago....

perhaps the Trey courses are something to look forward too when i head back to DFW.

im struggling on how rating wise to evaluate the Selah courses. perhaps the poor conditions were an anomaly, but it just seamed like there was no focus or care on the course by the new owners. it may never be as good as it once was going forward. I'm likely going to ignore the uncut grass, but i'm not going to ignore how new construction and new buildings have ruined lakeside holes 5 and 10. Im also not going to ignore the fact that many of the baskets are leaning and several signs are in sad shape.

Skip it.

You'd waste too much time driving when you could be playing two, maybe three, more courses in the STL area. Same designer for EC and all the courses in STL, so why bother?

(This advice does not apply to anyone who could out-throw all the STL courses.)

2 of the 5 most recent reviews of Flip City are 3.0. All I can say is, if I were the one culling reviews to prop up a course's rating, I'd do a better job than that.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the changing nature/character/whatever of those who play disc golf. I've played Flip, and it certainly embodies everything that a desirable DG course was from anytime before 2010 or so. Those 'used' to or 'expecting' that type of course will certainly appreciate what Flip is.

I prefer a semi-open partly wooded course (I don't do great at tight lines), so a course having mostly really small gaps will not be something I play often except to see if I am getting better. Flip was about the perfect fit for me. Largely wooded overall, but lines that were fairly forgiving, great scenery, quite a few more open holes, but still surrounded by trees, etc.

But I think some newer players are 'used' to or 'expecting' something different in a DG course. I am not sure what exactly they might be looking for, but they probably are not going to find it on courses that have older amenities, don't have multiple par 5 1000 foot holes, grass fairways manicured to a 1/2 inch, etc. For these types of players, Flip may just be a more rustic than they prefer. To me, its great disc golf, but to each their own. I mean yeah, there were a couple things I didn't like about Flip, but 3.0 seems almost ridiculous. Kinda begs the question: "what the heck are you looking for?!" Are folks just expecting too much out of the former #1 rated course in the world?

No, you don't get a free caddie. No, there's no free beverage cart trolling around the course. No, there aren't spotters on every hole to watch your speed 14 disc go 75' left off the fairway. I dunno. This young generation just feels so...entitled.

I wonder if this is a reflection of the changing nature/character/whatever of those who play disc golf. I've played Flip, and it certainly embodies everything that a desirable DG course was from anytime before 2010 or so. Those 'used' to or 'expecting' that type of course will certainly appreciate what Flip is.

I prefer a semi-open partly wooded course (I don't do great at tight lines), so a course having mostly really small gaps will not be something I play often except to see if I am getting better. Flip was about the perfect fit for me. Largely wooded overall, but lines that were fairly forgiving, great scenery, quite a few more open holes, but still surrounded by trees, etc.

But I think some newer players are 'used' to or 'expecting' something different in a DG course. I am not sure what exactly they might be looking for, but they probably are not going to find it on courses that have older amenities, don't have multiple par 5 1000 foot holes, grass fairways manicured to a 1/2 inch, etc. For these types of players, Flip may just be a more rustic than they prefer. To me, its great disc golf, but to each their own. I mean yeah, there were a couple things I didn't like about Flip, but 3.0 seems almost ridiculous. Kinda begs the question: "what the heck are you looking for?!" Are folks just expecting too much out of the former #1 rated course in the world?

No, you don't get a free caddie. No, there's no free beverage cart trolling around the course. No, there aren't spotters on every hole to watch your speed 14 disc go 75' left off the fairway. I dunno. This young generation just feels so...entitled.

I haven't played Flip, so my reply is just in general. But I think there's a change in the disc golfers, and also in courses in general Courses I thought were great 15 years ago, I now think of as very good, because so many other excellent courses have been built, and the bar has been raised.

I haven't played Flip, so my reply is just in general. But I think there's a change in the disc golfers, and also in courses in general Courses I thought were great 15 years ago, I now think of as very good, because so many other excellent courses have been built, and the bar has been raised.

Definitely some truth to this.

I first played Flip in 2008 after seeing it on this site as #1 and thought it was DG heaven at the time, it still is even if there are better courses these days. It's still a 5 star course.

Seems like conventional design quality on "average" has gone down with more un or lesser qualified players doing design due to the sheer influx of new players, private courses, use of golf course sites (permanent or temp), excessively long courses not suitable for daily play and the influence of OB laden courses making designers think more punishment and lost discs are good.

More than offsetting that negative, course amenities have improved with what many seem to think are better baskets, more/better signs, benches, pro shops, and better teeing surfaces with turf becoming more popular (DiscGolfPark). This has resulted in more overall player satisfaction that contributes to the generally inflated UDisc ratings.

Seems like conventional design quality on "average" has gone down with more un or lesser qualified players doing design due to the sheer influx of new players, private courses, use of golf course sites (permanent or temp), excessively long courses not suitable for daily play and the influence of OB laden courses making designers think more punishment and lost discs are good.

More than offsetting that negative, course amenities have improved with what many seem to think are better baskets, more/better signs, benches, pro shops, and better teeing surfaces with turf becoming more popular (DiscGolfPark). This has resulted in more overall player satisfaction that contributes to the generally inflated UDisc ratings.

(1) For the sake of this argument, it wouldn't matter what the trends of "average" were -- we're talking about top courses.

(2) One trend has been the increasing availability of better land, for public and -- particularly -- private courses.

...anyway, for my own experience, I think of the courses in my regions that were here 20 years ago and are here now, as well as the courses that have been built in the past 10 years. Those old courses that used to be the best, I'll now skip in favor of newer courses that I enjoy more.

Whether they meet others' tastes or opinions of what good design should be, I enjoy them. And there is some evidence that plenty of other disc golfers do, too.