• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Movement in top 10

Holler in the Hills is probably one of my current favorites as it was a top of the list course, during an impressive spring trip (perhaps a couple of unlisted courses beat it...). Seviren Lang was about as tough a course as any we played during the same trip; and earned high praise; from a difficulty stand point. In my world, if a course puts a severe whipping on you; it's probably automatically up there with the big boys....as long as it's interesting as well and not a pure chucker course.

Paul, glad Holler stuck with you. You should come back to see it now that everything is grown in. Those tunnels on 16 and 17 are way tighter now and number 9's basket has been moved back another ~45' beyond the boulder it was perched on. That hole shifted its emphasis to your upshot placement.

Paul, glad Holler stuck with you. You should come back to see it now that everything is grown in. Those tunnels on 16 and 17 are way tighter now and number 9's basket has been moved back another ~45' beyond the boulder it was perched on. That hole shifted its emphasis to your upshot placement.

I will make the trip to Holler again and hit you up weeman. Thanks for the guide. A good guide/local group, is a nice thing. :)

Played Delevega in December; and even in short pins; I was quite impressed with that course also. (Most recent played has most recent memories. :))

I've played 12 of those and designed (and maintain) Winter Park. I will be adding Ashe Cty and Stoney Hill today!!!

Blueberry
Highbridge gold
Granite Ridge
Winter Park
Ashe Cty
Waterworks
Lincoln Ridge
Sandy Point
Wildcat Bluff
Standing Rocks
Silver Creek
Richmond Hill
Sundance Trails
Stoney Hill

Of those 12, I believe I have them all rated as 4-disc courses at least. The only questionable ones would be Water Works and Richmond Hill (single tees at Richmond REALLY take it down for me). While definitely awesome courses, I crave absolute variety and these two can be pretty one dimensional considering the used terrain. They still border on 3.5-4 rated courses IMO. I admit Wildcat Bluff could be considered one dimensional but I really loved the terrain and design. Standing rocks and Sandy pt are almost purely wooded courses also.

I think you all should check out Tailings if you're in upper MI/WI Iron River area. It is well balanced and plays in a gorgeous area.

Played 41 of the 100. Possibly adding Winter Park this morning if we don't get washed out. Visited Silver Creek in the rain yesterday after crossing the lake but just drove around and didn't play it. Disappointed Steady Ed isn't on the top 100 list. I'd play Steady over Flip City any day. It's nice but it's apparent players are giving extra weight for the great care and manicuring of the course versus technical challenges. In thinking about it, I think Flip might be one of the best and appropriately challenging courses for Super Class competitions I've seen.

I've played 12 of those and designed (and maintain) Winter Park. I will be adding Ashe Cty and Stoney Hill today!!!

Stoney Hill's teetering on the list at #100. You could play it and check it off the list, the review it and knock it off the list!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts on this subject. I think I benefit from being a n00b who has only played a small handful of the courses on the Top 100. Every course I play, whether it be a 9-hole community college course or one of the supposed Top 10, is new and exciting to me. I've just enjoyed being introduced to the sport so much that I love having all these amazing courses just waiting out there to be played. I understand what everyone is saying about the ratings being skewed, but it's tough for me to think that way when every course I step on holds such an exciting possibility.

I've only played 7 on the list, with an 8th scheduled next month. Lists like that depress me; so many great courses, so little opportunity to play them!

Oddly, I've played half again as many that would probably make the list, but are extinct. (Maybe it's me? I'm dying to play Flyboy but it's already endangered; with my track record, one visit and it's a goner).

Played 41 of the 100. Possibly adding Winter Park this morning if we don't get washed out. Visited Silver Creek in the rain yesterday after crossing the lake but just drove around and didn't play it. Disappointed Steady Ed isn't on the top 100 list. I'd play Steady over Flip City any day. It's nice but it's apparent players are giving extra weight for the great care and manicuring of the course versus technical challenges. In thinking about it, I think Flip might be one of the best and appropriately challenging courses for Super Class competitions I've seen.

I, too, was kind of scratching my head wondering how Steady Ed isn't in the top 100, while (although great in its own right) Jim Warner is in. And how in the h e double hockey sticks is Elk Mountain even anywhere near the list, much less in it? This, of course is just my small, insignificant opinion.

I'm thinking Elk Mountain is a bit of a local ambush. (Didn't get to play it, but nearly did...there were many others in the immediate area that were much higher on our list....) Richmond Hill does not really compare to many of the others surrounding it either. It's nice; but as Superberry said; fairly one dimensional. If you like that style, Ashe County is much, much more ambitious.

I have only played 62 total courses and only 4 of the top 100. 2 of those I have played don't even make my personal top 10 (The 2 Lester Lorch courses)

"Best" is meaningless if the audience is not defined......"Favorite" = "Best" if the audience is me and those who are like-minded.

I disagree, "best" is meaningless unless you break the course down hole by hole.

For some reason this post stuck with me and I was thinking about this a bunch as I was on an exploring marathon this weekend.

I agree with you and I do not see my statement being exclusive of a hole-by-hole breakdown. In fact, that is how my mind works when going through a course. I think lots of thoughts like these when exploring/critiquing:
  • "Great hole if you got a 450' arm, but too much for me.....but is is a decent 2 throw hole for 250' arms. Boring for me though."
  • "Perfect hole for me and players with similar skills to me"
  • "Too narrow for the length"
  • "How do they expect anyone to navigate these 4' to 7' gaps 200' down the fairway.....way too much luck involved"
  • "Cool flex shot for a RHBH, but LHBH has no chance at this hole"
  • "Its hole 17 and I have not seen one anhyzer shot required for RHBH....but plenty of simple hyzer shots".
  • etc....

I build an impression hole-by-hole and try to determine how good a course it is that way......and who it is best suited for: Red, White, Blue, Gold.....or just for fun (beer drinking hooting and hollering round, but not so good for competitive play).

33, I believe. One third of the top one hundred.

Same here. 33/100. And there are several of those I've played that I would definitely drop from that list.

I think I would actually prefer a system that was numeric on the backend, but had a frontend rating system visible to users that gave courses an A - F rating system, with pluses and minuses, of course.

For me, I think the letter grades would be a better scorecard and would take pressure away from courses being .01 better or worse than each other. I also think that it matches better how we think about courses. If I'm telling someone about a great course, I don't tell them it's a 4.23-rated course. I tell them it's "an A-list course."

I'd give letters that would be something like:

4.50-5.00 A+
4.20-4.49 A
4.00-4.19 A-
etc...

Or, better yet, TimG could develop a dynamic bell-curve based on the number of courses in the system. Let's just say that every course with 10+ reviews gets a letter grade, and those courses are distributed on a curve.

I think I would actually prefer a system that was numeric on the backend, but had a frontend rating system visible to users that gave courses an A - F rating system, with pluses and minuses, of course.

For me, I think the letter grades would be a better scorecard and would take pressure away from courses being .01 better or worse than each other. I also think that it matches better how we think about courses. If I'm telling someone about a great course, I don't tell them it's a 4.23-rated course. I tell them it's "an A-list course."

I'd give letters that would be something like:

4.50-5.00 A+
4.20-4.49 A
4.00-4.19 A-
etc...

Interesting idea. ;)

I just saw that Tyler StatePark has entered the top 10, well deserved in my opinion. It is my home course and is fantastic. The club does an excellent job of keeping it fresh with new pin layouts and it is extremely well maintained.

Latest posts