• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Wyno said:
discspeed said:
If you switched the weight distribution from the outside to the inside it would fly like crap. It would have poor glide and would want to turn or fade rather than holding a line.
Probably, in all honesty I can't see much of areal-world application for making a disc less gyroscopic by manipulating this. I can say, however, that a disc can be too gyroscopic to perform some tasks - namely multi-directional flights, slow turn/recovery etc.
Worm 28 said:
I feel our GYRO™ technology is extending our known knowledge of disc flight to date. The Ion is just the beginning.
that's the really cool part, you can add/subtract gyroscopic character without changing the shape = you'll get to know more about the influence of both gyroscopics and shape on flight than your competitors = win :D

That's going to make for a manufacturing nightmare though. I hope you keep quality front and center of your manufacturing process.

Jeronimo said:
That's going to make for a manufacturing nightmare though. I hope you keep quality front and center of your manufacturing process.

Everything Maple Valley Plastics does is based on quality at the front and center. They aren't a mass production facility, rather one geared at molding complex and high quality specialty pieces. They've got a variety of different machines and a staff that is very skilled at using them. This is why Gateway didn't have MVP do any molding...Their price was much higher than a disc golf manufacturer is used to paying due to the nature of their business.

I could definitely go for a consistently made warp speeder that behaved like the ION. =)

But yeah, the slower stuff is what I'm most interested in too.

I was about to ask if there was going to be another hot stamp contest for the newest MVP disc. I would rather see consistency in the designs than "off the wall" styles between each stamp. Congrats on getting to work on it Leopard.

Well...
I am curious to see and try this Vector
But the new LAT Pain has dampened my curiosity a tad

I'd like to see some pics of a well-worn ion. How does the flight plate hold up? Does the rim get a lot of nics/gouges?

Mad Scientist said:
I'd like to see some pics of a well-worn ion. How does the flight plate hold up? Does the rim get a lot of nics/gouges?
Our proton plastic we use for our discs are made of extremely durable urethanes and I would be confident they hold very well. I would love to see some pics of some rough/rocky course used Ions.

Side note: Mad Scientist... whereabouts in Saginaw are you located? I am at SVSU currently.

Mad Scientist said:

I've got a medium that I've put through a lot as well as some softs that I've just had laying around my practice basket for almost a year now. I've thrown thousands of Ion shots this past year as well...I've not seen the overmold nick up at all. Even when my Ions have landed on pavement I've only seen tiny nicks in the bead. Some of the softs have gone beyond flat to slightly indented on the flight plate...Nothing near as extreme as a clovered Gateway putter. I've haven't noticed any difference in flight, nor can I say for sure that they were totally flat when I got them.

The core plastic has held up remarkably well, the only thing apart from minor scratches I've seen is a chipped bead (about 2-3mm long section is missing). I've had more success gouging the overmold with my homemade practice basket. I've used a lighter to melt the plastic back into place on a couple of discs. I haven't managed to leave a mark on the overmold by playing on the course, but some of the sharp corners in my basket can take chunks out of the overmold.

discspeed said:
Mad Scientist said:

I've got a medium that I've put through a lot as well as some softs that I've just had laying around my practice basket for almost a year now. I've thrown thousands of Ion shots this past year as well...I've not seen the overmold nick up at all. Even when my Ions have landed on pavement I've only seen tiny nicks in the bead. Some of the softs have gone beyond flat to slightly indented on the flight plate...Nothing near as extreme as a clovered Gateway putter. I've haven't noticed any difference in flight, nor can I say for sure that they were totally flat when I got them.

Good to hear :thumbup:

And where in Saginaw am I? Near the corner of Bay & Shattuck.

Do we have a ballpark figure for a release date for this bad boy? Apologies if I missed it earlier.

And FWIW, I haven't noticed my Ions getting anything in the way of a major nick in the overmold at all.

^^^ reminds me of the vibram thread on DGCR "Oily" ----"not mine" "not here sir" "mine isn't" "what's he talking about?" "I've never noticed that..."

But on a serious note I've expressed before that the thing that holds me back from liking them a lot is the grip. The flight is great and overmold combo is just wonderful but how it sits in my hand and fingers, and how it just seems slick underneath are hard for me to feel comfortable with. But I've heard jubuttib talk about working through release issue specifically. Do you feel like you have to get past some things with the grip to feel confident throwing it?

Also, my fiance loves her non stamped pink Ion.

cfair said:
...on a serious note I've expressed before that the thing that holds me back from liking them a lot is the grip. The flight is great and overmold combo is just wonderful but how it sits in my hand and fingers, and how it just seems slick underneath are hard for me to feel comfortable with. But I've heard jubuttib talk about working through release issue specifically. Do you feel like you have to get past some things with the grip to feel confident throwing it?

No issues. The mechanics of the throw are the same with any disc so if you have to work specifically on grip with some discs, IMO it's only because your pre-existing issues are exposed or you can't get over a disc that feels different (so you subconciously change your throw).
Best advice is to get over it, get used to gripping loads of different discs - it's obviously possible. Personally, I see no good reason to let my own first impressions limit my choice in discs, and I've yet to find a disc I couldn't get a grip on wth some practice.

Edit: I realize this might sound categorical or harsh, however I just wanted to be clear about my opinion and the reasoning behind it. If grip and feeling is more important to others it's all the same to me :p

Latest posts