• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

It had been a while since I went out golfing. Other things in life had been taking over. Lifting weights, my new road bike, girls....you know how it is.

Got an email the other day about the new Plasma Ions. Made me all reminiscent about the days MVP was just the Ion & Vector, when I started really throwing them.

Went out the other day and just played with the 3 Ions I used in my first MVP vid. Was a great round. Had a few near aces, banged in two 50'+ putts, and had a couple laughable tee shots as my body got used to DG form again.

It was a relaxing day with great weather. Just nice to be outside watching the beautiful flights of my Ions in the air. It was such a simple and pure time. No cameras. No scorecards. Just me and some putters, like the good old days.

Exactly what I needed to get me back into the game. Excited to make another Ion video sometime soon :)

Attachments

• ions 2015.jpg
    ions 2015.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 65
I know what you mean about life, Mike. It happens to be a little more important than disc golf. :)

Looking forward to some more DGTV, and your thoughts on the Plasma Ion.

Mike - you should put together a new video of ALL the MVP(and Axiom) putters out once you get your hands on a 150 class plasma ion especially. I am very excited to throw one of those!

I think that's a good idea! I've already been doing a lot of comparisons between the Atom, Envy and Ion lately on my portable basket.

The PLH is a smidge higher on this Plasma Ion compared to my FR Neutrons. Aim has mentioned they changed it a little bit, and I may not have noticed if it wasn't for his posts. I'm playing tomorrow, so I want to put this Plasma through its paces to see how she flies.

I think I'll be getting some this week. I plan to make a video with them, then get to work on my backlog of test videos of other discs.

Ohhhhhhhh baby! Played a one disc round with my 174 Plasma Ion today and I love it! I could not miss a putt. Ok, I missed ONE. But I was making them all over the place. From 15, 20, 25, 27, 36, 38...they were all going in. I'm not sure if it was "new putter" confidence, or that little bit of extra grip that the Plasma gave over my Neutrons. It could also have been the touch of stability that it's got over my seasoned putters. Whatever it was, I was a putting machine.

Also, the Plasma has great glide, and feels so light. Even though my tester is a 174 versus my usual 172 putter weight, it was more feathery in the hand. I think the give in the plastic has something to do with it.

I'm not sure I want to give up Neutron, but with how the Plasma performed tonight, I may have some deciding to do.

yeah I could very well see these being my new driving ions no doubt. have a pair of super hard throwback stamps which I want to work up nice and might use those for putting in summer time then throw in another set of these new plasma ions for winter along with the soft neutrons and old 2011ish soft opaque protons.

I'm giving thought to switching back to my old opaque proton Ions for putting and my go to straight driving putter. Then a Soft N Envy for more overstable shots, and a seasoned Atom for some turn.

I got a box after I got home from work tonight :) I'll post pictures if anything in there says ION :D

I was just telling someone earlier today that I think this plastic is going to reacquaint a lot of folks who used to throw/putt with the Ion but moved onto another mold.

Personally, I've really enjoyed the Soft Envy and have been using the Atom for a couple of months to beat some in. But after putting a ton the past two night with the Plasma Ion, there's a nostalgic familiarity there that has been quite enjoyable.

I'm leaning toward's what Mike said about moving to the Ion again for Primary putting and keeping the Atom for US drives/approaches and the Envy for the OS stuff. Kinda squeezes the Proxy out of the picture, but it may find a home back in there again if it gets the Soft Neutron treatment.

I really like the Proxy in my bag right now, I just question how much I'll need it if I put Ions back in. Now that It hink about it, I don't think I've ever thrown them back to back.

I'm going to make an 18 hole Plasma Ion round video. Been wanting to do another Ion video anyways after throwing a few putter rounds with them.

I think after I do that I'm going to just throw all of the MVP / Axiom putters back to back and do a comparison video. I'll make sure to include a fresh & season Atom.

I actually just purchased my first Ion in plasma. Never cared for it in the other plastics, but plasma intrigues me so, we will see. It's got a hard fight though. I am pretty set on the RDG putters.

I really like the Proxy in my bag right now, I just question how much I'll need it if I put Ions back in. Now that It hink about it, I don't think I've ever thrown them back to back.

I'm going to make an 18 hole Plasma Ion round video. Been wanting to do another Ion video anyways after throwing a few putter rounds with them.

I think after I do that I'm going to just throw all of the MVP / Axiom putters back to back and do a comparison video. I'll make sure to include a fresh & season Atom.

Can't wait for these videos. I got serious about driving putters because of your videos and by God it surely helped my game.

Here's a quick album of photos. Hard to really capture the details with bad lighting and a phone camera.

http://imgur.com/a/WiuJj#0

The orange one is really neat. It has this greenish holographic looking appearance in the light. Color changing! Also a sparkle green Plasma Ion!

The plastic feels really good. It's a bit softer than the metallic Tesla & Switch I've made videos with. Feels in between regular neutron and soft. I might actually putt with one of these over my soft opaque Ions if I switch back to putting Ions.

Laying them on a flat surface and comparing them to other Ions, they look like they're the tiniest bit flatter & sleeker in the nose. It's a very tiny difference, but laying a level on top of the two putters makes it obvious its not just my eyes. I wonder if they'll feel any faster in the air?

I'll try to get out and film tomorrow, but it might have to wait until later in the weekend. Pretty excited to try them out. I'll make sure to show some close-ups under the sun so you can get a good look at them.

Last edited:
Been doing some practice putting in my church gym. Using my soft proton and neutron Ion along with soft P and N Anodes, soft and reg Envys, Proxys, and Protos.

Ions are killin it. What surprises me the most is they actually feel better after giving the Envys my putting duties last year. I was nervous to use my soft N Ion last year cause its the only one I have, but it's just too good to not use. Picked up a beat white opaque proton Ion last summer and that thing is sweet.

I might just have to try bagging 4 putters this year. One of each. SN Ion-S Envy-Proxy-S Atom

Really enjoying the 150 class plasma ion. The light weight doesn't impact the stability but wow does it glide nice. Pairs up very well with my max weights. Its a long putt and tailwind killaaaaa

Hey AIM what's your favorite Ion? Is there a plastic you like over the others?

Just curious what you prefer. I'm really diggin the plasma right now. The only one I don't have yet is a reg. proton