• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

The hard stuff can be bent back...but large gouges, missing chunks, and cracks are another thing.

I presume those lumpy Magnets and Bangers you referenced are "soft" versions?

I threw the Electron Ion right in my bag as I prefer the baseline for fangrip and for me that is anything backhand within about 200. This is a perfect counter to the Atom for me and can get a more powerful Hyzer shot with it that I would with an electron atom. For reference I also carry a N envy as well as Soft and hard Proxy. I prefer the hard electron so these Ion's feel very natural. I took them right into my bag at the team challenge event at Borderland, MA over the weekend and needed no adjustment throwing these many times and winning both my matches.

Happy new year DGCR and bring on more gyro putter combos!

The Electron Ions are everything you want in an Ion, in a great feeling baseline plastic. Really it's a no brainer. My fave of the 3 testers I was sent is a 168 stormtrooper, in regular E. It has just a little more float, and a hair less stability than its heavier E brothers. I'm gonna bag that one for sure.

As far as the glide that Mike mentioned, I'm just not seeing it. Even on farther throws, the N, and Plasma had about the same glide as the Electrons. The only one that stood out was the 168, but that's the lightest Ion I've ever thrown, so I'm not sure if all lighter Ions fly that way. And again, the glide on ALL of them is terrific, so there's no complaints.

If you are not a fan of premium putters, the Electron Ion could be your ticket. Will it be a Wizard killer? Only Wizard throwers will decide. I certainly like it over the Wizard, but I'm also just a teensy bit biased. :p

Either way, it's sure to win over those who like the mold, but wanted a grippier, all weather plastic.

The Electron Ions are everything you want in an Ion, in a great feeling baseline plastic. Really it's a no brainer.

If you are not a fan of premium putters, the Electron Ion could be your ticket.

Either way, it's sure to win over those who like the mold, but wanted a grippier, all weather plastic.

Stoppit. You are making me reach for my wallet to buy an Electron Ion (and Electron Anode), and that's my lunch money in there. :eek: :p

(Seriously, these disc in Electron plastic would indeed be good putters...)

I got in our case of Electron Ions and I am still pretty skeptical about their durability.
I know I've had some Wizards that taco on one tree hit. These feels similar in that one shanked drive and I may be looking at the end of my precious Ion flight.

Why drive them in the first place? I dont care if it get flippy yhats the point. My 2011 ions are still OS. Lol.

Overmold felt a littttttle harder to me vs atom. Not quite as pencil eraser ish.

Some of us like driving with base plastic putters and mids that hold up for a while. :D

Well its not something id complain about. Honestly never had a baseline disc that had good grip really held up well to any tree hits. Some of the harder blends without good grip do seem to hold up a little better but do not offer the same feel at all more like a kids toy plastic. Ive recieved wizards warped by the mail...?

With soft med protons plasma and neutron i think there is a driving ion for anyone.

I got in our case of Electron Ions and I am still pretty skeptical about their durability.
I know I've had some Wizards that taco on one tree hit. These feels similar in that one shanked drive and I may be looking at the end of my precious Ion flight.

A valid concern, but if you stick to putting, you'll be golden. Electron for putts, and Plasma or Neutron for drives. :thmbup:
I actually prefer the Envy or Proxy over the Ion for drives anyway. Feels better in the hand.

A valid concern, but if you stick to putting, you'll be golden. Electron for putts, and Plasma or Neutron for drives. :thmbup:
I actually prefer the Envy or Proxy over the Ion for drives anyway. Feels better in the hand.

Oh I know. But you all know that I am a base plastic aficionado lol.
I think Plasma is the best feeling plastic MVP makes at this point. I love the very slight gummy factor.

The Plasma Envy feels like it can fly a country mile. :thmbup:

I've always wondered is a country mile longer than a regular mile?

Just threw 12 holes with a pair of 155g and 173g soft/med combos.

Hit lots of putts and a few trees driving them all off the tee. They all look and fly fine. Still OS even at 155g which are a blast to throw and putt with. Not US at all. :D once these 150s beat up they are going to be glide machines just point and pew pew in the basket.

Some of us like driving with base plastic putters and mids that hold up for a while. :D

Electron does hold up. I have been driving and approaching with Atom since release. The only one that is damaged in a bad way was one that I drove in to a tree twenty feet off the tee. The same tree that has done the same exact type of damage to a chief, shaman, couple of wizards, a fossil serpent, and a couple of Aviars. In other words, Electron is no more or less durable than other baseline plastics. It's baseline. Its meant to beat in. If you don't want your Ions to beat in from driving and approaching, there are plenty of options.

I just thought of a revolutionary idea....

One Electron Ion for driving, one for putting :D

If you don't want your Ions to beat in from driving and approaching, there are plenty of options.

That's why I use Wizards. If been working with the same one for two years and it's my most trusted throwing putter.

Electron does hold up. I have been driving and approaching with Atom since release. The only one that is damaged in a bad way was one that I drove in to a tree twenty feet off the tee. The same tree that has done the same exact type of damage to a chief, shaman, couple of wizards, a fossil serpent, and a couple of Aviars. In other words, Electron is no more or less durable than other baseline plastics. It's baseline. Its meant to beat in. If you don't want your Ions to beat in from driving and approaching, there are plenty of options.

The main problem with electron, IMO, is not the durability. All baselines, more or less, will deform on bad hits. The problem with electron is, its nearly impossible to reform back to a normal shape. Once the flightplate warps its pretty much gonna be like that, though I haven't tried any hot water tricks on these.(Maybe somebody else has?) Other baseline discs are much easier to bend back into shape. I had a pro-d challenger for 2 years that had been taco'd a dozen times but looked completely normal and still had a mild fade.