• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tensor new overstable mid

This isn't based in science what so ever, but my line of thought would be to make the core and overmold the same weight. I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it seems the disc would fly more traditionally if it was equally weighted in the core and rim.

That idea to me would accomplish the opposite effect. Or at the very least something thats not really what Im after.

Basically, think of how a cheap beach frisbee flies. The weight is pretty evenly distributed, pretty uniform thickness, only think that maintains any sorta flight there is the folded down portion of the lip/wing. They cant take any torque because the outside of the disc wont stabalize that well if it ever gets off plane.

Youd need to (in my relatively uneducated opinion) have as mich weight as possible in the wing and also have a relatively small "top" portion of the mold. Think spirit/flick/Nuke OS, all wing, no top, massively OS.

this topic is way above DGCR discussion IMO understand gyroscopic principles alone is no easy thing to do. Gyro would not defeat the purpose of a massive OS disc. Look at a boomerang which is extremely gyroscopic and so stable they fade BACK TO YOU when thrown lol... Gyro essentially exaggerates the flight of a disc as it keeps the core wanting to move in one direction or the other.

found a good read here a while back when researching mvp gyro and how it could/would/should impact disc flight. http://plus.maths.org/content/os/issue7/features/gyroscopes/index

Please stop talking.

Boomerangs are the opposite of gyroscopic. They dont "fade" anywhere.

And yes, the way they use the gyro traditionally for MVP would hinder any attempt at a meathook type mold.

Meathook molds are glideless and fade very hard.
Gyro, keeps your disc on a line. This isnt rocket science dude, i know youre a fanboi and everything but if that concept doesnt make sense to you then idk what to say.

Last edited:
That idea to me would accomplish the opposite effect. Or at the very least something thats not really what Im after.

Basically, think of how a cheap beach frisbee flies. The weight is pretty evenly distributed, pretty uniform thickness, only think that maintains any sorta flight there is the folded down portion of the lip/wing. They cant take any torque because the outside of the disc wont stabalize that well if it ever gets off plane.

Youd need to (in my relatively uneducated opinion) have as mich weight as possible in the wing and also have a relatively small "top" portion of the mold. Think spirit/flick/Nuke OS, all wing, no top, massively OS.
Just playing Devil's Advocate here but Aerobies are all wing.

devils_advocate.jpg

Re: putting more weight in the center

Its basically the same reason blizzard plastic went to crap.

There were some fairly consistently OS molds when bliz came out.
Then, they started putting bubbles in the rim, now, you never know what youll get from a bliz mold.

The overmold is more dense and helps to create the gyro effect, so i dont think putting more weight in the center of the disc would achieve more overstability.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here but Aerobies are all wing.

devils_advocate.jpg

Not really. *Edit, i assume youre talking a out the ring thing*

The "wing" in my example is what im calling the bottom half of the mold.
The aerobie would be more of a ring, with none of the features found in a disc golf discs bottom half that create drag, and thus create more fade.

Right?

For anyone who didn't read the disc description it's the same diameter as the tangent, which is smaller than the axis and vector (meaning max weight will not be >180, probably 178.something.).

I kinda hope this is on similar lines as the M1, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a gator or a longer zone.

Pwingles, I think the new shocks offer a lot of what you are seeking.

It is a disc that I can throw flat with 400' of power into a headwind and it will go straight then fade hard.

Anytime I throw it flat it shows an ability to penetrate straight then fade hard. Thrown with any hyzer and it acts very OS and piggish.

I think if you tried one you would not be doubting their ability to make something like you describe.

Either eay I'm really pumped to put these up against my Zones and FR vectors.

That wing looks really aerodynamic and wide for a mid...I'm betting this is going to be kind of a fast mid/slow fairway driver tweener. Maybe like a wide diameter Whippet? Ram? I'm not a big advocate of overstable mids, but that profile looks fast and if it glides at all it's going to be near fairway distance for me. I would love a slower Shock, and that is what I'm predicting here.

Pwingles, I think the new shocks offer a lot of what you are seeking.

It is a disc that I can throw flat with 400' of power into a headwind and it will go straight then fade hard.

Anytime I throw it flat it shows an ability to penetrate straight then fade hard. Thrown with any hyzer and it acts very OS and piggish.

I think if you tried one you would not be doubting their ability to make something like you describe.

Either eay I'm really pumped to put these up against my Zones and FR vectors.

Sounds a lot like my CPD or a newer pred. Ill give one a shot, although im not in a hurry to replace my FB and PD cycle.

Im not at all doubting they can make an beefy OS disc, i just think the outter mold will be for show and not offer anything really as far as how the gyro affects the other molds.

And for record, i think it would work the same way in reverse, for understability. At some point they wont be able to use the gyro in the same way to achieve a certain amount of understability. The gyro just wont do that.

I'm excited. I just bought the Vector/Axis/Tangent combo (hopefully I like it) so hopefully the Tensor will kick the M1 out.

Please stop talking.

Boomerangs are the opposite of gyroscopic. They dont "fade" anywhere.

And yes, the way they use the gyro traditionally for MVP would hinder any attempt at a meathook type mold.

Meathook molds are glideless and fade very hard.
Gyro, keeps your disc on a line. This isnt rocket science dude, i know youre a fanboi and everything but if that concept doesnt make sense to you then idk what to say.

Its too bad you are such a troll when it comes to any type of discussion, on any thread posted here.. If you had ANY idea wtf you were talking about you would know that "gyroscopic precession" is a fundamental physics phenomenon which relates exactly to why a boomerang returns. BUT of course I am just a "fanBOI" what would I knowwww. Gyro does not hinder a meat-hook type of disc at all in comparison to the many other factors like PLH height in relation to top of disc, bead or no bead, concave/convex wings--"gyro" has little impact on over-all stability all other variables considered IMO.

173 tangent is (HSS-.5/LSS 0) very neutral/straight

That wing looks really aerodynamic and wide for a mid...I'm betting this is going to be kind of a fast mid/slow fairway driver tweener. Maybe like a wide diameter Whippet? Ram? I'm not a big advocate of overstable mids, but that profile looks fast and if it glides at all it's going to be near fairway distance for me. I would love a slower Shock, and that is what I'm predicting here.

would be nice to have something little longer than a vector and more FH friendly (never liked the feel of the rim for FH) but not as long as the shocks so hope you are right! But its pretty blunt winged still comparatively.

I don't know if this disc will have a place in my bag without trying it first, but I love that MVP is rocking and rolling! I think they're smart for not losing any momentum.

Brace yourselves for:
- Whining about MVP "fanboys"
- Asinine comments about how many pages this thread has
- The inevitable thumbs downs about the lack of "quality" DGCR discussions

Perhaps we can just get those out of the way really quick?

EDIT: Already had one mention about fanboys, please disregard all future posts about fanboys.

I was looking at the first image...Looks more like a wide diameter Zone.

I just happened to post the comparison after your post. Now that you have the 2 images together it appears the 1st image of the wing is distorted. Probably a result of some gyro effect. :)

I've got the MVP discs in my sig coming any minute. I held off on the Vector until I tested the Axis. Glad I waited, I think the Tensor will be a better compliment. Love the Zone/Breaker, the Pain, not so much.

Latest posts