• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My First Disc Dyes! (shaving cream)

PAR21494

Hey Y'all!

This was my first attempt at dyeing some discs and I thought I could tell what I did and show you my results. Hopefully you can find some entertainment and education in this post and I'm hoping to hear some tips for other types of dyeing techniques like spin dyes and dip dyes.

The first picture is the collection of discs I have decided to use to learn some lessons on.

The two discs I dye in this post are the Orange Innova Champion Destroyer With a Rastafarian stamp (top middle) and the White Dynamic Discs Fuzion Bounty with a red foil stamp [later removed] (bottom right)

1. I used dawn dish soap, water, and a sponge on both first to scrub, clean, and rinse.
(dry)
2. Used Cotton Balls and Acetone to really clean and surface and removed the parts of the stamp I didnt want to keep.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Thoroughly Mixed iDye Poly (picked up from JoAnn Fabrics for 4.99/ea) yellow and blue in separate 6oz plastic cups with shaving cream until I got a desired intensity. In the blue that was used on the Fuzion Bounty I added about a Tbsp of water and a dash of white alcohol ink.
(use popsicle sticks or something of similar size to mix/stir)

5. Opened ziplock style sandwich bags so they're somewhat self supported with one hand while collecting the shaving cream around the popsicle stick and placed the stick in the bag with the dyed shaving cream(DSC) and squeezed the bag around the stick where all the DSC is enclosed and then slid the stick out nearly clean.

(repeat until cup is empty or bag is full with both colors)
6. Set aside or disposed of mixing cups. Wiped off and kept the sticks. (I'll use them later to pull lines through my design for more swirl, burst, cross, stripes, etc.)

7. Squeezed DSC into corner of ziplock while letting air escape out the top through a small opening in the ziplock top opposite of the corner that I push the DSC.

8. Once most of the air is out I close the bag and cut the smallest portion of the corner of the bag to create a pastry applicator like tool for the dyes.

9. In a medium to large mixing bowl I filled it with shaving cream and used the 6oz cups to slowly add and mix in water. I think used about 6-8 for the whole bowl and I added a bit more shaving cream to top it off after I mixed it in. If you've seen other things about shaving cream they say you want it at about milkshake consistency, easily falling off the mixing spoon. I think just the slightest bit "fluffier" or "thicker", however you want to describe it, is a better option for having it stay more where you place it. That's what I think after the two.
(This is going to be used to create the "canvas" in a pie tin that you create the dye pattern. on.)

10. Over filled a pie tin with the thinned shaving cream and the smacked it down on the table and smoothed the top as flat as possible with a painters stick.

11. On the Bounty canvas I did a spiraling triangle of blue and yellow then drew lines out from the center on the points and in towards the middle at the opposite middle points.

12. Carefully place the disc on the cream laying like a sticker or a dip where its smooth starting at a slight angle to avoid creating or maintaining air bubble.
(I did not do this I smoothly pressed the down flat, slightly regret)

13. Waited 6 hours.

14. Fell asleep.

15. Woke up the next morning and rinsed the disc off and that's what how the Bounty turned out. It was about 12 hours of dyeing.

16. Directly applied a blue spiral with a paint brush dipped in with a splash of acetone and water in stronger plastic mixing cup to the Orange Destroyer and let it sit for 45 min

17. Drew yellow spiral triangle on the pie tin canvas for the champion destroyer and pulled through the whole thing like a spiraling web.

18. Placed disc on canvas and put that tin in a platic bin with some towels to hold in place as I drove across town.

19. Met up at Harry Myers to place one last round with my buddy I met in March at Old Man McCutcheon in Lewisville before he goes off to Vegas to work for Amazon!

20. After the round (about 4 hours of dyeing) I asked for some water and walked him and other friend the back of my car and lifted the hatchback and rinsed the disc and dye off in front of them and gave the buddy moving away the disc. (He loves the destroyer and crushes is 400ft on a good day I figured he deserved it more than me haha I'm still stuck in the 10-11 speed range it seems)

That's the story of my first two disc dyes! I love how they turned out.

Attachments

• 61836806418--F7C67318-344F-45CD-A6F4-04AF9E76F1FB.jpg
    61836806418--F7C67318-344F-45CD-A6F4-04AF9E76F1FB.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-0212.jpg
    IMG-0212.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-0219.jpg
    IMG-0219.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 79
That Bounty looks tight. Not sure the pic are doing the Destroyer justice. I'm sure it looks very nice as well, just not quite showing up in the pic.

Now I want to try dying.

Thanks!

You're right. The Destroyer pic does NOT do it justice, but it's not as clean or clear as the Bounty. I'm glad you got inspired.

I'll dye my MAKO3 next with slightly adjusted steps and post here.

Hey Y'all!

This was my first attempt at dyeing some discs and I thought I could tell what I did and show you my results. Hopefully you can find some entertainment and education in this post and I'm hoping to hear some tips for other types of dyeing techniques like spin dyes and dip dyes.

The first picture is the collection of discs I have decided to use to learn some lessons on.

The two discs I dye in this post are the Orange Innova Champion Destroyer With a Rastafarian stamp (top middle) and the White Dynamic Discs Fuzion Bounty with a red foil stamp [later removed] (bottom right)

1. I used dawn dish soap, water, and a sponge on both first to scrub, clean, and rinse.
(dry)
2. Used Cotton Balls and Acetone to really clean and surface and removed the parts of the stamp I didnt want to keep.

3. Repeat step 1.

4. Thoroughly Mixed iDye Poly (picked up from JoAnn Fabrics for 4.99/ea) yellow and blue in separate 6oz plastic cups with shaving cream until I got a desired intensity. In the blue that was used on the Fuzion Bounty I added about a Tbsp of water and a dash of white alcohol ink.
(use popsicle sticks or something of similar size to mix/stir)

5. Opened ziplock style sandwich bags so they're somewhat self supported with one hand while collecting the shaving cream around the popsicle stick and placed the stick in the bag with the dyed shaving cream(DSC) and squeezed the bag around the stick where all the DSC is enclosed and then slid the stick out nearly clean.

(repeat until cup is empty or bag is full with both colors)
6. Set aside or disposed of mixing cups. Wiped off and kept the sticks. (I'll use them later to pull lines through my design for more swirl, burst, cross, stripes, etc.)

7. Squeezed DSC into corner of ziplock while letting air escape out the top through a small opening in the ziplock top opposite of the corner that I push the DSC.

8. Once most of the air is out I close the bag and cut the smallest portion of the corner of the bag to create a pastry applicator like tool for the dyes.

9. In a medium to large mixing bowl I filled it with shaving cream and used the 6oz cups to slowly add and mix in water. I think used about 6-8 for the whole bowl and I added a bit more shaving cream to top it off after I mixed it in. If you've seen other things about shaving cream they say you want it at about milkshake consistency, easily falling off the mixing spoon. I think just the slightest bit "fluffier" or "thicker", however you want to describe it, is a better option for having it stay more where you place it. That's what I think after the two.
(This is going to be used to create the "canvas" in a pie tin that you create the dye pattern. on.)

10. Over filled a pie tin with the thinned shaving cream and the smacked it down on the table and smoothed the top as flat as possible with a painters stick.

11. On the Bounty canvas I did a spiraling triangle of blue and yellow then drew lines out from the center on the points and in towards the middle at the opposite middle points.

12. Carefully place the disc on the cream laying like a sticker or a dip where its smooth starting at a slight angle to avoid creating or maintaining air bubble.
(I did not do this I smoothly pressed the down flat, slightly regret)

13. Waited 6 hours.

14. Fell asleep.

15. Woke up the next morning and rinsed the disc off and that's what how the Bounty turned out. It was about 12 hours of dyeing.

16. Directly applied a blue spiral with a paint brush dipped in with a splash of acetone and water in stronger plastic mixing cup to the Orange Destroyer and let it sit for 45 min

17. Drew yellow spiral triangle on the pie tin canvas for the champion destroyer and pulled through the whole thing like a spiraling web.

18. Placed disc on canvas and put that tin in a platic bin with some towels to hold in place as I drove across town.

19. Met up at Harry Myers to place one last round with my buddy I met in March at Old Man McCutcheon in Lewisville before he goes off to Vegas to work for Amazon!

20. After the round (about 4 hours of dyeing) I asked for some water and walked him and other friend the back of my car and lifted the hatchback and rinsed the disc and dye off in front of them and gave the buddy moving away the disc. (He loves the destroyer and crushes is 400ft on a good day I figured he deserved it more than me haha I'm still stuck in the 10-11 speed range it seems)

That's the story of my first two disc dyes! I love how they turned out.
Pretty good for your first time! I use Pro Chem dye & cocoa butter in a ultimate frissbee with a heat lamp for about an hour & a half. IMO if you used a heat lamp it would be faster & work just as good. A little tip...Rinsing dye under hot water sets it. I use boiling water from the microwave to final rinse my dyes because i found they fade if i don't.

Attachments

• IMG_20230616_002235275.jpg
    IMG_20230616_002235275.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0