• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My latest dye - Asian themed

djext1

Par Member
Ok, so I put together a spin dye machine out of an old box fan. After a few trials to get the hang of it, I started using brushes and other things to achieve different effects with the spinning process. My favorite is a blend of the brushes and normal spin dye spreading.

I like the asian, almost pottery look. So taking that, I used my Katana as my first official work of "art". I look forward to doing many more like this and focusing on this style with different colors and images.

The lettering by the way means "Katana Number One"...

IMG_0768.jpg

I like it a lot. I have a few J-dyes from Hero discs that are similar.

Yeah, the J-Dye stuff was the inspiration for it. I really liked the way most of those discs looked and wanted to try and make some along those lines. :)

You did a great job. How did you get it to look like the disc is glazed?

That turned out really sweet dude! I love the work on the rim it looks random and textured but uniform. The colors work really together as well. Really unique dye! Good stuff!

Wow, looks great............been playing with the spin dye thing too but have not come up with anytning like that yet. How did you do the texturing?

The center is just using a small paint brush for brush stroke effect and gradients, the "dots" that spread out in the orange part actually I think are just a byproduct of the liquid detergent I used. For some reason it was sort of clotting up a bit, but in a good way. For the rim I just did a quick solid drip circle of two colors while it was slowly spinning, then I sped it up for just a second to get the colors to run a bit at the edge and stopped it with my hand.

I'm going to try some color blending with the brush strokes while it's spinning next I think, and then maybe use something like a small piece of screen that is cut to drag some heavy lines in the dye.... I dunno, there's a lot you can do for different texture effects :)

Latest posts