• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

Take any uber understable disc that will flip unless released at a 30-40 degree outer wing angle down (combined with an arm follow through at the same angle) and release it 5-10 degrees lower than that flipping point. This will take the S-curve out. Keep the nose down to prevent hyzer and throw it at less than 80% power to avoid turning, and it should go straight from start to finish.

Legacy Gauge and the Super Stingray would also fit this role. At 200 feet, a regular Stingray would probably work too.

Oh man, I hate to be that guy, but if you're throwing Buzzzes only 200', it's gonna be hard to see the designed flight.
At that speed, I'd probably suggest an Opto Fuse or a Tangent.

Stingray as mentioned above.
One of the only shallow mids I know of that is straight.

M4, opto fuse, buzzz ss, gauge, comet and more.

It's just a matter of finding something that matches perfectly to your armspeed and feels good in your hand.

I'd suggest a Comet (ESP is my preferred plastic). Slight hyzer for longer shots, almost flat for shorter ones. I don't know of any disc that will power down 50% without changing flight characteristics if thrown at the same angle.

At Middle Creek I use a Mako or Fuse for every hole except 3, 6 and 15. With MC you either want to go dead straight or on some holes you want to hyzerflip something so you can negotiate the early and late slight bends in the fairway.

Wow, you guys rock. I really appreciate all of the great feedback. Now all I have to do is research each of these in a bit more detail and likely buy a few more discs. I've promised myself not to order any more new ones until I at least test the 4 MVPs I have coming - two of which are mid-ranges and one each a little short and little long for a mid. They are from shortest to longest: Anode, Tangent, Axis, and Amp. From reading the Tangent thread it looks like that might be the ticket. I'll find out early next week when the UPS man brings Christmas.

Yes, I understand the points about releasing on different angles to get straight shots. In fact I can do this perfectly with the Atlas and Foxbat. The first I add a little anny and the second a little hyzer. They're like mirror images of each other. Maybe carrying 2 mids with opposite biases but that I can both make go straight isn't such a bad idea as it opens more lines. My original though was just to keep it super simple - carry one mid - flat for straight, anny for right, and hyzer for left but it doesn't have to be that way. Lots of ways to think about this.

I really appreciate all of the feedback and hope it continues. Thanks!

Last edited:
learn how to hyzer flip. it will increase your skill and game and line possibility by a ton

This is a little left-field suggestion, but Discmania P3. It's fast for a putter, and nowhere near as overstable as the flight numbers make it out to be. My arm speed is low and I use it in D-line for slightly shorter upshots than what you're looking for, and it fades only slightly when new. This thing might be dead straight up to 200 feet.

The Fuse is also a great disc, the greatest glide I've ever seen on a midrange. It may turn over just a bit on your desired range, but will come out of it if there's room for a bit of height.

Last edited:
If you were getting to much fade out of a buzzz, then I would definately definately recommend you get a star coyote. One of the first mid ranges I ever threw, and the first mid range I was able to throw without it turning or fading the slightest bit. Once you get the snap and arm speed up a bit, the buzzz and truth will do this as well. But give the coyote a try.

I use a mildly beat up Mako3 for this. The disc has the teeniest light turnover with almost no fade. The disc tends to just slowly glide into the dirt before it manages to fade out.

My Star Mako could achieve this as well when it was brand new, but beats in past the point that you are looking for.

I'll echo the the suggestions for the Fuse. At your power, I think it would be pretty close to ideal, even if it is a bit glidey.

I have to say an sure grip scout by gateway. It has a little less LSS than in evo plastic. Also it has a very penetrating fade. The suregrip cycles well. The disc is pretty shallow.

The only downside being that you may beat up quite a few on trees. In that case a evo plastic scout would be worth a look.

Latest posts