• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] My search for perfect lazer straight mid-range

I'd also like to know what you think of that 166g mako3

180 is a bit too much for me, but it seems super straight/far.

I'd also like to know what you think of that 166g mako3

180 is a bit too much for me, but it seems super straight/far.

I have tried lighter weight mako 3s but I go with a 180 for straight shots. Not a huge fan of the lighter ones.

There's a ton of good ideas in this thread. I'll put in a vote for the Fuse if you need a straight flyer immediately. If you're willing to cycle out some mids, Buzzzes are popular for a good reason. My straightest flying buzzes are the SS molds, lightweight Zs, and seasoned Crystal. Good luck with those tunnel shots, all!

There's a ton of good ideas in this thread. I'll put in a vote for the Fuse if you need a straight flyer immediately. If you're willing to cycle out some mids, Buzzzes are popular for a good reason. My straightest flying buzzes are the SS molds, lightweight Zs, and seasoned Crystal. Good luck with those tunnel shots, all!

on a random note, what other discs have the glide of a fuse?
I'm talking all discs, mids, fairways, drivers. Can ANYTHING match the fuse in pure pound for pound glide?

on a random note, what other discs have the glide of a fuse?
I'm talking all discs, mids, fairways, drivers. Can ANYTHING match the fuse in pure pound for pound glide?

I've never thrown a fuse but the glide on the foxbat is amazing - hangs in the air forever - and with no fade no less.

On another note I've received my mako3 in the mail. I have a busy schedule this weekend but am dying to get out and try it. Will report back when I do.

I don't get peoples fascination with glide, it doesn't help you with anything except a little more distance with less power.

In every other way too much glide can reduce your ability to range the distance you throw the disc and limits the accuracy of a placement shot, it also makes the disc more vulnerable to wind and more angle sensitive.

If you are looking for accuracy, range-ability, wind resistance, and more overall control.. don't get a fuse. Only if your a beginner and your struggling to get that extra distance.. then it might be a good idea to get a disc with so much glide to learn with at first, in fact i usually teach people how to disc golf with a fuse, especially women and older folks :)

Last edited:
lol no offense but you sound noobish.
Being able to throw a fuse requires much more skill than any MVP disc I've ever thrown.
And glide can be very helpful on tight wooded angles where you don't want too much fade. I can get my fuse to ride a tight, long, hyzer line that not many other discs can do.

You can't always throw a disc hard. A finesse shot can do wonders.

Being able to throw a fuse requires much more skill than any MVP disc I've ever thrown.
And glide can be very helpful on tight wooded angles where you don't want too much fade.

the first comment just seems like you are trying to poke the bear. the second makes me wonder what correlation you think there is between glide and a lack of lss.

GL Core, mid 170's could be a good start. A couple people threw out the Buzzz SS which is solid disc for a number of shots. Westside Tursas is pretty amazing and what I've thrown of the Fuse I like.

I have been throwing my Blend Judges on a frozen wire lately at least 220 and I have horrible arm speed so that might be one to look into as well. If you are having trouble getting a Buzzz over 200 you might want to look at a putter. Ion's, Pure's, Wizard's, and Judge's are all great driving putters that may fit the bill for you.

Nice jab, but your right, MVP discs don't require as much "skill" or effort to place great shots in my opinion. :p No offense taken.

Last summer i genuinely tried a fuse and tursas (you can look up a long, detailed review of both discs that i wrote if you search for it) because the tangent was not turning over enough for me.. i bagged the tursas over the fuse first of all because it had the out of the box flip i was looking for to fill the spot. The Fuse was a fun disc, but that's it, it doesn't really give me the accuracy i wanted and the lack of enough dump at the end was very annoying because it felt like it just kept floating past the basket when i wanted it to have range-ability and sit at the very end.. just not my preference for my play style, not to say it wouldn't work well for someone else.

Ultimately i beat in one of my tangents enough by the end of summer to replace the tursas for similar reasons as the fuse and i could not be happier. The tursas beat in very quickly into a turn and burner for me so i got rid of it. The fuse still sits around for when i take people disc golfing for their first time though, beginners seem to love it.

As far as tight wooded finesse shots, nothing beats my Ion putt and approach, it holds hyzer, straight, or anny lines tight all the way to the ground.. i rarely use anything but a putter for tight finesse control shots.

Last edited:
the first comment just seems like you are trying to poke the bear. the second makes me wonder what correlation you think there is between glide and a lack of lss.

Yea I am poking the bear, because I know he loves his MVP, and I see nothing special with MVP. I've thrown them. I've given them a chance. I stand by my comment, the fuse is infinitely harder to throw.

Second point, mr in4d said it himself. "it (glide) also makes the disc more vulnerable to wind". ie, less stable, or, less lss.

But I get your point. I'm talking specifically in this case (the fuse), the glide + low lss in combination is something special.

I have a neutron anode, and even that is nothing compared to the fuse. I can bet a more os ion cannot do what a fuse can do. Not even close.
MVP discs like taking dumps, to the ground. Fast.

If you can't throw a fuse or tursas correctly, it's you. And that leads me to believe you don't have much of a touch game. So I'd reconsider referring the fuse as a noob disc. Quite the contrary.

If you can't throw a fuse or tursas correctly, it's you. And that leads me to believe you don't have much of a touch game. So I'd reconsider referring the fuse as a noob disc. Quite the contrary.

If i spent enough time with the Fuse, im sure i could be just as good with it as i am with my beat Tangent, which brings up a good point.. Its more so the archer and not the arrow, I get my arrow to the same spot a little differently than you do. No disc is "better" than another, they may have different attributes that someone may prefer over another.

Throw what you like best and leave it at that, lets try not to act like what we throw is better than what everyone else throws, secretly we all know that's not the truth.

If that were true, no one would have over 13 discs.
If that were true, people would still be using lightning discs.

As stated before, some arrows are better than others, and that is just the truth buddy.

Whether you know this or not, is the question.

If that were true, no one would have over 13 discs.
If that were true, people would still be using lightning discs.

As stated before, some arrows are better than others, and that is just the truth buddy.

Whether you know this or not, is the question.

Well people need different speeds and stabilities for different types of shots, so obviously one needs enough discs to cover the different shots they need to make.

Lightning makes fine discs, i have thrown them before and the flight is comparable to discs from other companies, if someone practiced with them enough they could get just as good... people have won majors using lightning discs before. Most people probably don't even know about lightning discs anyways, besides their plastic sucks, you hit one tree and it will never fly the same again.. which is unfortunate.

Keep thinking what you throw is better than what everyone else throws, that will get you far :)

Fuse is a great and consistent disc, I never felt like I had to be awesome to throw it, never been hard to throw. And as far as more distance with less power...duh. It's helpful to be able to throw with less effort and get a similar distance. It may not suit your game, oh well. It's called a touch disc. I loved the fuse but it is only straight at the op's current power Or for short throws. It is a hyzer flip and turnover machine. He is happy with the tangent. So am I despite how much I love the fuse. Oh well.

Stick with the tangent, man. Check that mako out too, I have never thrown one.

Since you like the Leopard why not try a Teebird. Beat in its as straight as any disc I own.

Latest posts