• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

I mean, I'm not going to knock anyone who wants to make their own bag.

Hey, me either. I hope my post didn't come off that way.

I'll DIY some things (because the DIY process for that particular thing might interest me), and buy off-the-shelf for other things.

Heck, I'm in software development. My kind is somewhat famous for DIY-ing all kinds of stuff (software) for personal use. Some of the best apps are born from that, while others never see the light of day but keep being used by the person who made it. And yet other times, buying someone else's software makes the most sense.

(For a few years it seemed like almost every web developer had written his own blogging engine that worked *just* the way they liked...).

No option is "better" or "right."

Agree. Just "better" or "right" for the individual.

Ok ... I'm gonna need help with some explanations .... see I started disc golf in February and bought a fade gear bag for the few discs I was carrying ... throughout this year I kept buying discs and swapping stuff out in the bag ... it got heavy and just last month I bought an innova competition bag off the marketplace and some quads locally down at the Nati and I absolutely love the setup ...

then I found this thread ...

and today I just ordered the damn Cabela's bag ..... sooooo how do I explain to my wife I actually NEED 3 bags for golf discs.

Do what most men do...

Lie. ;)

(I am not a marriage counselor and the above should not be construed as marital advice.) :D

You can justify it by telling her that the fade is your glow bag, the comp is your tourney bag, and the cabela is your all-purpose everyday bag. :hfive:

Or sell the Fade and Comp bags? If you started in February, the bags should be in good condition. Just sell them BEFORE you show anyone your new backpack... ;-)

I used to carry a Innova Competition bag. I built a Cabelas bag about a month a go...will never go back. My backpack holds more stuff and feels lighter. I can easily carry a jacket, discs (12) and any spares I need during a tournament. Water bottle setup isn't good, but I normally drink between rounds anyway. Still tweaking the PVC a little, but its an awesome pack. Overall, is it a better bag than a GRIP? No. I believe it holds more stuff, but GRIP is the ultimate disc solution. Is a GRIP worth 3 times more? Well, I can't speak to that...

sooooo how do I explain to my wife I actually NEED 3 bags for golf discs.

Buy some pink discs, put them in the Fade bag, and give it to your wife telling here you'd love to spend some more time together.

Result 1- She loves it and you get to go out and play more (I assume you like your wife)

Result 2- She doesn't get into DG but loves the thought that you wanted to include her. You get to keep the bag and not get as much flack when you leave to play (always invite her even though she'll say no). Plus... if you're smart and you get discs YOU like in pink you get to keep the discs too. Pink is one of the best colors to find in the woods.

Either way, you win.

Here's the seam I'm talking about. Does anyone know if this can be reinforced well enough by hand?

seam.jpg

You don't need anything but heavy duty thread and a needle you can bend to make it through the stitch holes. Just make a few extra stitches on each end of the middle seam and it will be fine.

just made a pvc frame, yea im a little late but wow it is so much more sturdy and it holds the discs better, thanks to all of the amazig people on here who created this amazing bag

Bag is ordered, can't wait to build the frame / coat the bottom / and play a lot of discgolf with this bag!

So I have had some time to customize my bag(deluxe) now and I built an internal frame out of PVC pipe. And then my bag has a whole back compartment that has more than enough room for a camelback bladder that holds 3L/100oz. which is 3 nalgenes.
DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

DSCN0646.jpg

DSCN0647.jpg

What are the dimensions of your internal frame?
I really like the looks of this bag better that the green one.

I bought a blue Bass Proshop bag a while bag (I saw it on clearance) and have been waiting a while before reviewing. All in all, for the price I paid, it is more than worth it. For my $23, I have gotten more use and enjoyment out of it than my old $30 Fade Tourney bag and my GB Silverback.

I have yet to put a frame inside , and even though I am planning to, it hardly needs it. It holds the discs very nicely and has PLENTY of room for many things. I love this thing for tournament play. The frame will help it stand up on its own though I imagine. That is probably the biggest drawback IMO. I recommend this for the money pincher, tinkerer, hipster, or just someone that wants a good bad for a fraction of the cost.

I bought a blue Bass Proshop bag a while bag (I saw it on clearance) and have been waiting a while before reviewing. All in all, for the price I paid, it is more than worth it. For my $23, I have gotten more use and enjoyment out of it than my old $30 Fade Tourney bag and my GB Silverback.

I have yet to put a frame inside , and even though I am planning to, it hardly needs it. It holds the discs very nicely and has PLENTY of room for many things. I love this thing for tournament play. The frame will help it stand up on its own though I imagine. That is probably the biggest drawback IMO. I recommend this for the money pincher, tinkerer, hipster, or just someone that wants a good bad for a fraction of the cost.

Can you post a link to the bag that you got from bass pro shop?

^ good video. Pretty much shows all the bag's features and how to get it done.

I just used mine for the first round last night. Disc storage worked really well and I built a PVC frame last night. The only thing I wish it had were a few more storage pockets for smaller things (wallet, cellphone, keys, etc). I don't want to put valuables in the large upper section since I'm afraid they'll fall out when I grab a towel from there.

One thing for sure it is much more comfortable to wear than my Discarrier bag. Glad I found this thread or I would have ended up spending $200 on a Grip bag

The only thing I wish it had were a few more storage pockets for smaller things (wallet, cellphone, keys, etc). I don't want to put valuables in the large upper section since I'm afraid they'll fall out when I grab a towel from there.

I thought so too at first, but I found a good spot for pretty much everything I need.

Looking at the front of the bag, check out the left side of the bag carefully:
- zippered compartment = safe storage for wallet and cell phone
- unzippered pocket (just outside the zippered pocket) = mini
- pouch holds a 1 Liter bottle (no mod necessary)
- pocket just above all that stuff for score card & pencils. You have to fold card a few times (typically into fourths), but I use it for that all the time.

Moving to the other side:
- rod holder = tri-pod stool or umbrella.
- you can use the cell phone holder next to the velcro rod holder loops for something else... not sure how much I trust that though.
- if you don't use the sunglass holder for sunglasses, you could put keys or something else safely zippered away in there.

All the above is quite convenient to get to during a round.

... and we haven't even touched the large upper compartment with any of this.

Last edited:
Bogey... nice right up.. My bag will be here tomorrow and I will be building a frame. I was wondering about the rest of storage too. Again great info.