• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

Nice rigs

But has anyone built a frame to be able to sit on and store your discs ABOVE the lower compartment ! Just in case I have 6-8 reasons to store underneath my discs ! My dog needs a BIG water bottle for our 27 mountainous holes !

But has anyone built a frame to be able to sit on and store your discs ABOVE the lower compartment ! Just in case I have 6-8 reasons to store underneath my discs ! My dog needs a BIG water bottle for our 27 mountainous holes !
its been done its in this thread somewhere.

I've been using the Cabela's bag for about 4 months now. Here's my thoughts:

-I never got around to building the PVC frame that many have built, but I have been satisfied by how well it stands on its own. Don't expect it to stay upright on hills though, but laying it down on its padded back makes the discs still easily accessible.
-The side pocket that is not zippered (the one above the "drink holder") fits an Iphone w/Otterbox like a glove. When tipped over the phone stays in place, which is comforting to know.
-The zipper pocket directly next to the "drink holder" easily fits a set of keys and a wallet.
-The drink holder will not fit a 32oz Gatorade due to their large bases, but a 32oz Nalgene fit and stay secure. If you're in to drinking energy drinks have no fear NOS, Full Throttle, etc fit deeply into the holder, making them less at risk of tipping over.
-The bottom of the bag is holding up exceptionally well and I have had no problems with it tearing or looking rough.
-The main disc compartment holds more than enough disc for the average player. I find that this compartment does tend to collect a lot of dirt and even some mud if wet, but what bag doesn't... I take my disc out every so often and clean the entire inside with a wet rag and it is back to looking brand new.
-The putter pocket is big enough to easily fit two putters. I typically put both my putters and my go to driver in the pocket and they fit nicely.
-The upper compartment is big enough to carry whatever else you may find necessary, but be forewarned that if it is heavy it can somewhat hinder the removal and entry of the disc in the lower compartment due to the soft flexible padding that separate the compartments. I'm being a bit picky with that one for it is nothing to return the bag over, just something I noticed.
-One may ask what does one do with the sunglasses case? Have no fear, I've found that a small bottle of OFF fits perfectly into that awkward pocket.
-The padded back and straps make for near fatigue-less rounds even with the bag at full capacity.
-The zippers are of excellent quality and I have yet to have one snag or fail.
-The most disappointing part of the bag I found was the side straps that people have been using for either their umbrellas and or stools. I had my stool strapped to the side of the bag for one round and had a strap come un-stitched and another on its way out as well. Though these straps could certainly be stitched back on it was rather annoying for them to come undone after only one round.

All in all I say that this is an excellent bag for the money. I would certainly recommend it to any of my friends and wouldn't hesitate to by another. It is constantly getting attention on the course and it is different from the regular bags. Congrats to Cabela's for making a near perfect disc golf bag without even knowing it.

Last edited:
I pulled the trigger and bought this bag today! I am pretty excited to receive it. It is on sale too for only $50!!

Just got my grip bag and played today and i switched from a latitude pro bag like the OP. So far i love it. So much better on the back. Little more more work taking it on and off during the round but it feels lighter than it is simply because how its designed. Pretty awesome. Top pocket is great for me, i keep 3-4 of my most thrown discs in there.

So, how many of these things has Cabela's sold to DG'ers, just because of this thread???
I feel Tistoude (see the OP) is quite deserving of a 10% commission check from them!
$5/bag x say 20 bags or so is a cool C-note... not that it'll ever happen :\

Just got my grip bag and played today and i switched from a latitude pro bag like the OP. So far i love it. So much better on the back. Little more more work taking it on and off during the round but it feels lighter than it is simply because how its designed. Pretty awesome. Top pocket is great for me, i keep 3-4 of my most thrown discs in there.
^ thread fail.

So, how many of these things has Cabela's sold to DG'ers, just because of this thread???
I feel Tistoude (see the OP) is quite deserving of a 10% commission check from them!
$5/bag x say 20 bags or so is a cool C-note... not that it'll ever happen :\

^ thread fail.
I've had 3 people ask me how much I would charge to make them the same bag I made in the video. Problem is I dont think it's really profitable to make for other people .... I DO think it's a great small project for people who enjoy doing things like this though ... I had fun doing it.

How much would YOU pay to not have to make it yourself ?

How much would YOU pay to not have to make it yourself ?

I wouldn't pay anything... Maybe I misunderstood your post. :confused:

I'm was simply pointing out that Cabela's has sold quite a few of these bad boys to disc golfer specifically because of this thread. Just saying the OP deserves a commission check from them.

Went to my local cabellas today to fondle the bags. But they didn't have the regular or deleux in stock. So from the guys that have the bag. How does the size of the regular and deleux compare to say the grip. I'm going to order one and I can't decide between the two. If the deleux isn't huge compared to the regular ill probably pick it up because I like be blue better than the green.

Went to my local cabellas today to fondle the bags. But they didn't have the regular or deleux in stock. So from the guys that have the bag. How does the size of the regular and deleux compare to say the grip. I'm going to order one and I can't decide between the two. If the deleux isn't huge compared to the regular ill probably pick it up because I like be blue better than the green.

When I was looking at those two bags, someone told me the deluxe isn't as good for DG. I believe that the bottom section of the deluxe carries 3 tackle boxes while the regular holds 4. If you plan on using as described with discs vertical in the bottom section, the opening may not be big enough. I have the bag and love it. You probably don't have as much room for miscellaneous items in the regular compared to the deluxe, but IMO, the trade of space for ease of disc access is worth it.

When I was looking at those two bags, someone told me the deluxe isn't as good for DG. I believe that the bottom section of the deluxe carries 3 tackle boxes while the regular holds 4. If you plan on using as described with discs vertical in the bottom section, the opening may not be big enough. I have the bag and love it. You probably don't have as much room for miscellaneous items in the regular compared to the deluxe, but IMO, the trade of space for ease of disc access is worth it.

Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I really only was looking at the deluxe because of the color. I live in eugene, oregon and am an avid oregon ducks hater ( USC fan here) so I didn't want to be confused as a duck fan. Lol.

The std Cabela's bag is pretty much the same size as a Grip, with similar capacity for discs on the bottom of both.

Several people have posted in this thread that they are happy with the deluxe, and I'm glad they're happy with their purchase. But having taken a good look at both styles, I have to agree I agree with pfpro: the std bag fits discs better on the bottom, while the deluxe has more compartments for miscellania.

just my $.02 worth.

Much appreciated guys. I'm going to pull the trigger on the standard. Not a fan of green but I'm sure I will live. Thanks

I wish they would make these in red or OSHA orange or some other color than mallard's a$$ green.

Mine is finally starting to detonate after one year...but I am notoriously HARD on equipment
And I am sure I can get one to two more years out of it.

ok ... so after my 1st day playing with this bag I completely LOVE it. It's MUCH easier on my back than traditional bags. My only complaint is something I caused by making the frame shorter (I shortened it to 7" so it was easier to fit in the bag) it's hard to get discs in and out when it's full of discs. I took a few out and you can then turn the discs slightly on the side to get them out ... when it's full of discs you need to kind of bend them a bit to get them through the frame. I'm gonna go get some more PVC and see if I can't fit a little taller frame in there .... other than that this thing rocks

DiscDog, did you make a full box frame with a top as well? If you check out post #62, you can make a frame that only has a bottom and sides and it works, that way you don't have any pvc bar along the top preventing your discs from being taken out. Plus the top-back of the frame doesnt put a bar across the middle of your back.

DiscDog, did you make a full box frame with a top as well? If you check out post #62, you can make a frame that only has a bottom and sides and it works, that way you don't have any pvc bar along the top preventing your discs from being taken out. Plus the top-back of the frame doesnt put a bar across the middle of your back.
yea I may try that as well. I don't really feel the bar across my back though. I'm thinking I might actually use a T and have a bar across the top through the middle of the frame just so there is support for the pocket above.

I use the frame Fred Vegas shows in this post. Provides a bit of support for the top compartment without obstructing disc access on bottom. "Bar across middle of back" not an issue at all - never even aware of it when I wear the backpack.
So my backpack came in today and I made a frame for the discs...

DGBackpack1.jpg

DGBackpack2.jpg

DGBackpack3.jpg

Last edited:
Just got a bag tag and a patch, also built a frame, accidentally bought 1' pvc instead of 1/2' so it was very snug. I am using mr glass' bag design with the putter pocket on the inside.
bag1.jpg

bag2.jpg

For those who got this bag, does it seem like the sunglasses case be unstitched or taken off without leaving a hole?