• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My version of the Grip Eq bag

I saw this bag and like the looks but only holds 12 discs. The cabelas bag I have holds 19 plus two putters. And Way cheaper.

True it does not hold as many as the cabelas bag. It holds about 9 to 10 on the inside and up to 6 on the outside. so 15-16 comfortably with a little of room on the inside. (this is from the Facebook page)

You are correct it does not hold as many as easily. I was just sharing a bag like the Grip but with a little less room for the non DIY people.

I'm still trying to make "diy" rainfly for mine. I have some sew on snaps i bought, but I'm trying to find the right materials to make my fly.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i289/Larrod25/Disc Golf/

I bought the Cabelas bag a few weeks back, and now have about 10 rounds on it. So far it is awesome! Like everyone else, I wish it had a better drink holder. The 'dry-bag' does hold a 1 liter bottle as you can see in the pics.

I found all of my frame parts at Lowes for about $12. I bought 1 X 10' piece of PVC 2 X 90 degree elbows and 6 X 3 way 90 degree elbows. I cut 3 pieces to 10 7/8", 4 to 6 3/4", and 4 to 4 1/2". I did not glue the frame together, as it would be impossible to get it in and out of the bag assembled. I did spray paint it black, then used black duct tape on the bottom rails. The paint and duct tape were unnecessary, but I like the way it looks.

These are the 19 discs on the frame in the picture. From L to R:
Innova CFR Glow Champ Firebird
Innova DX Aviar P&A
Innova KC Pro Roc
Innova KC Pro Roc
Innova DX Eagle
Westside Tournament Sword
Latitude 64 GL Saint
Innova Star Leopard
Latitude 64 GL Pain
Innova DX Classic Roc
Innova Champ Leopard
Innova DX Shark
Innova I-Dye Champ Firebird
Innova DX Roc
Discraft ESP FLX Buzzz
Innova Champ Leopard
Innova R-Pro Roc+
Innova DX Aviar P&A
Innova I-Dye Champ Leopard

There are 4 Rocs, 2 Aviars and 4 other Mids, so it could hold more than 20 drivers easily.

I also put a piece 1/8" smooth panelboard to fit on top of the frame. This was something I found laying in the garage, but could probably be found at Lowes or any hardware store. This will need to be put in place prior to installing the frame, unless you unzip the divider and place it in from the top. This can be done, but zipping the divider back with the board in place may be tough.

The top compartment is the best thing about the bag. I am transitioning from an Innova Deluxe bag, so I have similar disc capacity but MUCH more room for other things. I keep a towel for me, a towel for the discs, snacks, minis, scorecards, a fleece ear warmer, a baseball, and a couple of extra discs. There is still room for a Hoodie/Pullover if needed. If the upper compartment is too full, it can be difficult to use the putter pockets, as discs may not slide in and out as well.

The phone pocket holds my iPhone perfectly, and the pocket behind the 'drink holder' is perfect for a wallet or other assorted pocket items. I use the front pockt to hold my Small Axe Puck, scorecard, Sharpies and pencils. As suggested by a previous poster, I am going to turn the extra fabric loop (not sure what it is for) on the front into a pencil holder. I just haven't gotten around to fabric gluing the bottom closed. Looks like it will work well.

Also from a previous post I attached a 12" bungee chord to the zippers on the lower disc compartment. This makes zipping up the bag very easy. I am going to have some zipper pulls made to replace the bungee chord and the ugle 'bumble bee' zipper pulls that came with the bag.

I still haven't decided if I will remove the "rod holder". For now I have it strapped to the side with the attached velcro straps. If I decide to start carrying a stool, I may remove the dangling part and use the straps to hold on the stool.

Now I am looking for some patches to decorate it. I may have something custom made to cover the XPG logo.

I would definitely recommend this bag to anyone looking for a backpack style bag on a budget. It is much easier to carry than any of the Innova bags and similarly priced. I can't speak to its durability yet. The fact that this thread has been going for over a year is a good sign!

Just got a green one in. Seems like it's going to be a great bag for a great price--$50 w/ free shipping.

I don't see any immediate need for a frame, but I'll probably get around to try it out eventually.

The only concern I have is that the "putter pocket" seems a bit shallow, so I'm worried my discs might pop out. Maybe I will figure out something to make it more secure.

Another thing worth mentioning is that I've tried on a Grip and it was too small in the shoulders for me. I was concerned this bag would be the same, but while it's not roomy, it fits reasonably well.

I don't see any immediate need for a frame, but I'll probably get around to try it out eventually.
Adds a lot ot stabilty and rigidity to the bag, never regretted doing it.

The only concern I have is that the "putter pocket" seems a bit shallow, so I'm worried my discs might pop out. Maybe I will figure out something to make it more secure.
It holds discs quite nicely. I keep a Beast, a Challenger and an APX in the putter pocket; only time a disc has ever fallen out was when the bag fell completely over.

Bottle holder

I know it has been addressed, but what holder are people using and where is the best place to sew it on. The stock one is horrible. Is there a way to mod the one on the bag?

I know it has been addressed, but what holder are people using and where is the best place to sew it on. The stock one is horrible. Is there a way to mod the one on the bag?

Again, it's not a water bottle holder - It's a dry bag to keep things from getting wet. I just throw a water bottle in the upper compartment, works dandy for me.

Again, it's not a water bottle holder - It's a dry bag to keep things from getting wet. I just throw a water bottle in the upper compartment, works dandy for me.

That makes sense. :doh: I think I will get something to strap onto the other side.

Now that I know how to post large pics, and since everybody is asking for ideas for water bottle holders......
picture.php

picture.php

I used an exacto to remove from my old discraft bag and had my wife teach me how to sew by hand. That a 1 liter bottle btw. I used this bag all summer I'll try to get some after use pics.

Just got the backpack since it was on sale with free shipping. I asked a few pages back about taking the sunglasses case off without there being a hole. Main reason was that it's a prime spot for a patch (or patches). I also found the case to be bothersome. I went ahead and tried it out.

img5359d.jpg

I realized that I was pulling out the wrong thread, since the backing was still there.

img5360w.jpg

I believe you can take the case off in one complete piece, so it's still functional. I destroyed mine from the trial.

img5361d.jpg

You can see where it was. Prolly could clean it up a little better, but now there's plenty of room for patches, buttons, or whatever flair you want to put on.

I'm satisfied for now. Just gotta figure out what to put there now. Great bag for the price!

Here's my contribution to the XPG-DG Bag hacks:

As noted above, I was concerned about discs slipping out of the putter pocket, and on my maiden voyage today, it did turn out to be a problem. Although I suspect it was largely because I don't have a frame yet and thus I was putting the bag on it's back on my stool, which caused the discs to slide out of the putter pocket.

I've had this thing around the house for awhile. I always knew it would come in handy some day for something, so I kept it around. I have no idea where it came from. It's just a big black bead on a six inch or so elastic loop.
F0j5Tl.jpg

I attached it to the elastic loop above the putter pocket, thusly:
akXKTl.jpg

I now just pull it down and the bead goes through the elastic loop on the lower flap. It secures the putters, but it also secures the bottom flap without having to use the zippers. Works real nice.
P08xTl.jpg

fyi...bag is 50 right now, promo code 2REWARDS gets free shipping.

Happy Day!

Ordered! Should be here by Jan 8.. Can't wait! Now all I need are some patches so I can differentiate my bag from Holotone's bag when we are on the course!

I sacrificed a clipboard (couple of bucks at any office supply chain) to create a 13" x 6" shelf for the top compartment; lightweight, thin, stiff and cheap . It's supported by the (Lt. Dan style) PVC frame and keeps the top from sagging a bit when I load it up.

Make sure you use a legal size clip board because a letter size isn't quite long enough.

I am thinking of taking off the sunglasses pouch. I don't use it and I think it would look cleaner without it.

Anyone know where I can get some good patches?