• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need Form check & Analysis please

Check another image in the attachment section.

How can I hold my body more in closed position while disc is getting ripped out from finger? One more frame for my throw and disc is gone while Drew's disc is ripped out and body still closed and not open to target, well you see the image. Is this an issue as well aka loss of distance?

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_004402.jpg
    IMG_20220718_004402.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 12
I think part (maybe all, at least conceptually) of the answer is the same as swinging weight and the practice swing I mentioned above.

You have a slightly "artificial" swing path. You are trying to make the disc follow an in-out-in pattern with your arm. Instead, you want it to be created by your posture and arm swinging wide such that the disc "confronts" your CoG and then "rebounds" our toward the target.

Swinging something heavy *properly* will help your body how to learn to brace and swing in a more powerful posture. Right now when you throw you are swinging out "over top" of the brace because of your posture and arm path.

As you've discovered, if you're athletic and fast and other things are working, you can throw pretty far with these limitations. If you want to throw more like Drew and others you need to learn to dingle the arm and swing wide.

If you've been throwing that way for a while it may be hard to correct. Weights, hammers, and heavy bars can help do it faster. I've returned to working seriously now too since my own swing path & the posture it requires to swing properly through the CoG is harder to get right with old arm habits interfering.

Hammer X-step for one hand. Kettlebells and something like a battering ram (cinderblock) for two.

Hey,

I realized today I can get into another position to throw that stretches my legs more like trying to do yoga. Do you mind looking at the attached images and let me know your thoughts on them?

Pos1 = Position I use to throw always.
Pos2 = New position by turning my hips and shoulders more, causing stretching in my upper legs.

Attachments

• imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-j7rbPnVGhbAZh5.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-j7rbPnVGhbAZh5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 11
  • imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-RsuyjmCx5VOfKEMe.jpg
    imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-RsuyjmCx5VOfKEMe.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 11
The above post can be ignored that I made about the new position. I realized something important.

Check Drew's feet and mine, no wonder I can't get a reasonable distance out from my lower body because I'm late with rotating while Drew is ideally in hershyzer drill position, butt leading. I'm going to start doing it too.

Attachments

• img1.png
    img1.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 13
Hey Sidewinder,

I've been working on my form and trying to imitate Drew's movements because why not, I have snap, he has snap and is explosive so I thought I'll try to imitate him because we're similar? Also, his movements are easy to mimick which is another reason.

Anyways I've attached some images and videos of my throws. You do not need to give any advice, but I would like to know whether I'm on the right track and if I should keep trying to imitate and complete that form or not. I have some issues at the moment like:
1) timing
2) not feeling the power
3) forgetting to elbow someone in the face faster
4) hips not rotated or rotated too early
5) not holding my plant foot in one position longer
6) grip pressure issue, disc ripping off from ring finger instead of the index which also hurts. Thumb pressure issue most likely and another issue, adding pressure from below with ring finger instead of index finger only and having other fingers just for support.

I do get over 400 ft but not 450 easily and I have high hopes that if I complete that form fully, everything is fixed then I'll get more distance. What do you think?

Looking forward to your reply :)

Last edited:
Your posture heading into the X-step is off - notice that your spine is tilted back and away whereas Drew's is more vertical and his shoulders are more aggressive toward the target in transition over the drive step.

Right now you're not getting the correct swivel in the rear hip due to your posture. As a result, you are reaching a bit incorrectly with the plant leg and your rear arm is coming higher and wider out than Drew's to compensate and keep you in balance: not what you want.

Need to get the feel for the correct posture and hip rock over the drive step with e.g. Hammer Swing X-step.

yVjCegA.png

Yup,. I've had problems correcting that. I'll try swinging 5-10 pound dumbbell tomorrow. I'll wear gloves so I won't tear my skin apart. I don't have any hammer that heavy which means dumbbell should be okay to use or it's too short?

^When I use dumbells, the most important part is to grip it the same way you would leverage a hammer, so just try to hold it the same way you would hammer a nail and imagine swinging the dumbell like it has a hammer head to pound a nail.

Probably shouldn't swing so hard that it'll tear skin. The more fluidly you can swing the weight wide with a dingle arm using your weight/Center of Gravity to lead the swing like I mentioned above, the easier it is to get your arm to "coil" properly into the hit on its own. Once you get used to slinging a weight far like that it'll help your weight transfer/ground force too.

We're going for the same idea that makes the discus throw work, but the disc golf posture will make the disc swing in toward your body on its own.

Look at these in the order I placed here for what all of these have in common. Notice how once you get in more DG-like posture like medicine ball lady you start to look like Shusterick. It's all the same thing, just different tools & postures.

circleswing.gif

sledge-sledgehammer.gif

hammer.gif

throwing-daniel-stahl.gif

MasculineMarriedAsiantrumpetfish-max-1mb.gif

will2.gif.gif

DeadlySilverBluejay-max-1mb.gif

INNOVA_Disc_Golf_Drives_in_Slow_Motion.gif

QHHBT9.gif

Anthony Barela doesn't "try" to form a "pocket" when he bowls. If the bowling ball were lighter it would look just like a disc golf "power pocket" when he swings.

PFRUPn.gif

So basically once I fix my posture to get it to be same as Drew, I'm all good and can proceed with imitating his movements to perfection or it doesn't matter because I have artificial swing path or I don't have it anymore because I've started to rotate my shoulders?

I was thinking of just keeping weight in front of me like walking to stay in upright posture instead of tilted posture.

Yeah looks like my arm swing has got artificial swing path, in other words, not a correct swing.

I stumbled upon this video which looks promising. I'm going to check it out before doing field work and picking up weights to practice throwing.

So basically once I fix my posture to get it to be same as Drew, I'm all good and can proceed with imitating his movements to perfection or it doesn't matter because I have artificial swing path or I don't have it anymore because I've started to rotate my shoulders?

I was thinking of just keeping weight in front of me like walking to stay in upright posture instead of tilted posture.

Hard to say. Trying to swing the weight in Hammer X-step will probably reveal how much is posture vs. arm vs. rear hip and drive leg action. Sometimes they're all related, others they each need some attention. Hammer X-step is really good because you can't do it correctly without the mechanics you need in the backhand.

Yeah looks like my arm swing has got artificial swing path, in other words, not a correct swing.

I stumbled upon this video which looks promising. I'm going to check it out before doing field work and picking up weights to practice throwing.

That's me ;-)

Most people start out with some kind of artificial swing path to start, getting it nice and loose and used to swinging it like a weight will weed it out.

BTW - I mention it in the disclaimer, but ignore what my lower body is doing in those videos since it recently drastically improved, I'll add an update module about posture and leg action soon... However, I'd still vouch for what I talk about with the arm and learning to swing or sling the disc in the vid there. Same concepts I learned from SW22/seabas22 dingle arm, I'm just an overeager student aiming to pay it forward!

Hello,

I've stumbled upon Dan beto drill 2. I don't push my forearm out like that. I elbow the door which causes pulling from the reachback as I've been taught. That's "artificial swing" you mentioned yeah? If so, I just have to practice right pec drill to do that way which will cause me to rip the disc out at 10 or 11 o'clock. Atm with my current form, disc rips out at 12 and 1 o'clock sometimes.

Hello,

I've stumbled upon Dan beto drill 2. I don't push my forearm out like that. I elbow the door which causes pulling from the reachback as I've been taught. That's "artificial swing" you mentioned yeah? If so, I just have to practice right pec drill to do that way which will cause me to rip the disc out at 10 or 11 o'clock. Atm with my current form, disc rips out at 12 and 1 o'clock sometimes.

Last edited:
When I say artificial swing I think if it to be any of a number of ways of trying to get into the pocket without whipping your arm into it using the rest of the body. You want your posture and arm in a position to have the shoulder leading the elbow leading the wrist. This just came up again in my own form thread if you want to look at the last couple posts.

Last edited:
Hello,

What do you think of my 400 ft standstill throws and what can I fix/improve for more standstill distance?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Going to be tough one to fix.

Also I've been playing with hunching my shoulders forward, getting elbow away from my body more like I'm trying to hug someone. I heard that when you reachback and release, you want to hug someone. Correct? I'm going to try out Dan beto drill 2 soon so I would like to know which version of the picture is correct or whether any of them is correct. I've attached them.

Also, elbow being little bit upwards instead of neutral with forearm, is it bad or good?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-08-06-11-02-11-559_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-06-11-02-11-559_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2022-08-06-11-01-50-848_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-08-06-11-01-50-848_com.miui.videoplayer.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20220806_110401.jpg
    IMG_20220806_110401.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 8
What do you think of this video? Is this how you need to use hips?

It looks simplified for dummies like me to try to do. I can feel the pressure though it's uncomfortable and I'm afraid whether it's going to cause hip injuries or not when doing it for a long time.

What do you think of pinch grip that OT is teaching his viewers? Apparently that pinch grip he is teaching where you pinch the disc flight plate, allows the disc to pivot forward. Good or bad?

I myself don't have that kind of grip, I push down as much as possible on disc flight plate with my thumb if I'm going for mac distance and applying pressure from below the disc flight plate with index, middle and ring finger, index finger applying more pressure than other fingers down there. Middle and ring finger pad touches the rim while index finger is barely over the edge of disc rim, touching the disc flight plate.

When trying to get the disc pivot with my grip, it doesn't happen like shown in that OT video but when I pinch the disc instead where thumb and index finger pinch the same spot, take the disc away and they would pinch against each other. This allows me to get the pivot then.

I was wondering whether it matters for more disc spin (results in more spin probably because the faster it sound the further it will go faster?)

or what matters more is to use the grip that you're comfortable with and have used for a long time?

Attachments

• IMG_20220807_002345.jpg
    IMG_20220807_002345.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20220807_002402.jpg
    IMG_20220807_002402.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220807_002406.jpg
    IMG_20220807_002406.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts