• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New California courses update thread

Did the Beckwourth or Dixie fires get close to where the course in Portola is going in?

The fires did not effect the course, lots of smoke sure but never in danger from either fire.

I will be adding 4-5 courses to the database today. I was able to check out 8 courses this past weekend. 2 already listed and 5 I can add plus a cool private course I will discuss in here this week.

Oyster Bay Disc Golf Course opened on October 10, 2021 in San Leandro. It's a 18-hole course with two tees and two baskets on every hole -- that's right, two baskets, not just two sleeves. Which means there are 72 unique tee shots every day!

This is the first course in the East Bay Regional Park District, a two-county district with 75 parks and over 100,000 acres under management. We first proposed a course to EBRPD in 1977. You might say it took a while to get it done. (Also, the district has been a great partner on this project.) They consider it a pilot project, so we're very hopeful that it goes well and leads to more courses.

It's an unusual site. It's a big course by Bay Area standards, around 30 acres. Several par 4s. But the course is only a small part of this ~200-acre park, a former landfill right along the San Francisco Bay, overlooking the Oakland International Airport.

When we started installation a few years ago, there were only a couple trees on the course, plus a few holes with coyote brush and other scrub. The district planted ~300 trees in 2020 and 2021. The trees are still small, so they don't present much of an obstacle yet -- except for the protective screens. But the course has a fair amount of elevation change (26 out of 72 tees or baskets are elevated!), several unique rock features (two fake lakes and one fake creek), and two big "pyramids" (tiered greens). And, of course, the course often has a lot of wind, given its location right along the Bay. It may not have a lot of obstacles, but it's not as wide open or boring as you might think.

The views are amazing.

The walk from the parking outside the park is long -- roughly 1/2 mile.

There's no drinking water in the park, and only a couple pit toilets.

I just added Redwood Run Disc Golf Course in Boulder Creek. It's at the Boulder Creek Golf Club.

I am not sure if I should have added it as a 27 hole course or 18. Since the 2020 CZU fire only 18 are in play.

Excellent course. I look forward to going back.

Just added (The Ranch DGC) to the database. Course is located in Big Bear City, CA. new 9 hole course that went in during the spring. I will try to get pictures added soon.

Added three courses with pictures to the database:

Dairy Creek DGC in San Luis Obispo (18 holes)
Liberty Park DGC in Farmersville ( 9 holes)
Meadowbrook DGC In Tehachapi ( 9 holes)

I did play a cool private course in Shafter, CA called The Boneyard. JP oil employee course. So that's out there too.

Just added Ladera Ranch in Mission Viejo. 9 hole course with nice features. Pictures added as well

So 3 new courses added this past week by others. Thank you. One in Avalon on Catalina Island and the other two are between the Bay Area and Sacramento. Nice additions. I'm hoping to add a few more next week once I verify them this weekend. Fun times.

So I played 13 courses this past weekend, I added 3 to the database, checked out 7 already listed, and the other 3 I played are listed on my dashboard page. It was a fun time and cool to play that many private courses.
Added:

Spiders Web in Aromas
Park Hill in Hollister
MVCS DGC in Watsonville

New course in the ground in the city of Tulare. New 9 hole course at Woodville Park. If you check it out, please list it.

Played Foxtail Ranch in Southern California this past weekend. Fun course with a pro shop and cool family. Private course with a lot of cool animals, elevation, lines, distances and more. CHeck it out if you can.

Thousand Pines DGC - Upper Course had 9 holes is now gone. The camp with the members of the los angeles disc golf club have permanently installed 18 holes. Innova discatchers, rubber teepads, and tee signs. The old course should go extinct and a new listing put up since no old holes are used. The club has also installed a temp course in the lower section from may 19-22nd for the discovering the world open B tier.

Update:

I added Thousand Pines Upper Championship course to the database. 18 holes now and permanent. Nice course that had a lot of work done to it this past week and a lot of foot track to really push the trails done.

I also added as a temp course Thousand Pines Lower Temporary Championship Course, hopefully in the next year this course will be permanent.

The camp has expressed interest in adding a third 18 hole course in the next year or two if things continue to go well with the disc golf clubs and community.

New course opening this upcoming Saturday in Pinecrest, Ca at Dodge Ridge Ski area. If I can I will try to get out there to check it out.

I have added White Thorn @ Dodge Ridge to the California database. Its an amazing course and property that can rival any California mountain course.

Played a really cool little 9 hole course at Matilija Middle School in Ojai, CA. Opened sometime in March/April from what I gather. Open on Weekends and Weekdays after 4pm. More information and a course map can be found on UDisc.