• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course in Reading PA..anyone

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
New 9 hole course in Reading - Angelica Park #1
Too Much Time Away From Course

Fellow disc golfers,

I am proud to announce a new 9-hole disc golf course in Reading, PA. In conjunction with Alvernia University and the Reading City Parks & Recreation Department, a new 9-hole course has opened at Angelica Park.

Angelica Park was known in the area for many decades in the 20th century as a popular recreational spot. A dam was formed on the Angelica Creek, a tributary of the Schulykill River, to form a 13-acre lake which was used for boating, fishing, and ice skating in the winter. It was even lighted for nighttime skating! In June of 2001, a tropical storm washed out the dam and the bridge over Route 10 and completely drained Angelica Lake. What followed was five years of public meetings, debate and negotiation before city officials decided against repairing the dam and instead opted to create a wetlands project and future environmental center. And since the installation of the nearby wetland, with its wildflowers and native grasses, along with the riparian buffer along the creek which slows erosion and provides valuable habitat for wildlife, a variety of birds can be spotted in the area. It is not uncommon to encounter grackles, mourning doves, swallows, sparrows, yellow warblers, goldfinches, orchard orioles, catbirds, and downy woodpeckers. Great blue herons and even kingfishers also frequent the park. So not only will you experience a fun test of disc golf skills, you'll hopefully also appreciate the nature in the park.

The new course plays in a scenic area at the west end of the park, with a mixture of wooded and open shots along the meandering Angelica Creek. The course was designed by Sports Information Director and Head Golf Coach of Alvernia University, Jon King, with lots of input from Disc Golf Course Designers Group member Jeff LaGrassa. The nine holes offer a variety of shots, with some elevation changes, and the water coming into play on many holes. The basket on hole #6 lies only a few feet from the water's edge, and one can choose to throw a shot that carries over the water for nearly its entire flight. Hole#7 crosses the creek perpendicularly with the target located on the other side. While most of the holes can be reached for a possible 2, hole#9 is a blue level pro par four hole of some 550+ feet, where two long throws are needed to have a chance at a birdie three. The course has three other holes of 300-400 feet, and five holes less than 300 feet, and can easily be played in less than 45 minutes.

Being so new, the course is still a work in progress and white flags currently mark the natural teepads. Tee signs will be coming shortly. If the course is a success, future plans may include semi-permanent or permanent teepads, and alternate tees and polehole positions on many of the holes. Long range plans include the possibility of adding nine more holes in the woods across St. Bernadine Street. In the meantime, I invite you to come check out the new layout and the wonderful nature which can observed here.
Regards,
-Jeff LaGrassa

http://www.pdga.com/course_directory/course/angelica-park
http://athletics.alvernia.edu/discgolf

Has anyone played or know anything bout this course?

That's really great to hear. Being only +3yrs into this I'm sure that every year since the 70's has seen more new courses than the year before. WE've got a few new in New England just in 2009 including one I finally got in the ground. I dropped off my proposal during my 7th month of play. It's never too early people ;)

Wow, that Alveria page has possibly the most fandangled course site I've ever seen. It's very nice.