• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Member, Need Help w/ 1st Big Disc Purchase

TCDGFAN

Hello,

I've been using this site for courses for a while and finally realized I could join the forum! I'm glad to be here and looking forward to learning from the community.

I've been playing recreationally for 5+ years but have gotten more serious the last 2 and would consider myself to be in the intermediate range. I am RHBH dominant but developing my RHFH pretty well. I can hit 300ft+ with both but usually wind up in the 275 range.

So far I've been using random discs but I do have a Champion Leopard, Champion Archon, Cobra Mid, Aviar JK Pro and a Nuke OS. (recently lost MVP Wave and a Katana that I really liked).

My power drives tend to hyzer badly and I need to upgrade my mids and putters across the board. I mainly want a straighter flying discs that match my intermediate skill level for both BH and FH.

I've done some research and have found several discs I think can help me out, nothing too fast and most are pretty standard but will hopefully all be a good compliment to what I already have.

Please see the list below, any thoughts or obvious substitutions I should make?

Thanks in advance!

Putters:
Innova Star Aviar X3 - 170-175g - Driving Putter
Innova Yeti Pro Aviar Putter - 167-175g - Short-Range Putter
Innova DX Aviar3 Putter - 170-175g - Mid-Range Putter

Mid-Range:
Innova DX Roc3 - 170-174g - Short-Range Mid
Discraft Z-Line Buzzz - 170-174g - Long-Range Mid
x

Drivers:
MVP Fission Tesla - 158-163g - Go-To RHBH/RHFH Distance Driver
Innova Pro Beast - 169-172g - Go-To RHBH Distance Driver
x
Innova Champion Firebird - 170-175g - Go-To Headwind RHBH/FHBH Distance Driver

Last edited:
The most common response to your post on this site would be to get a Leopard and a Teebird and throw them each until you can hit 750 ft. Probably good advice but I have never fallen in love with either disc. I personally do not like Leopards, they are uncomfortable to grip imo... For some other options BH, I like DD Witness and Mambas for understable duties. Mvp Waves and Insanity are awesome in the 155 to 160 gram range also. For FH shots I use a Champ or Gstar Thunderbird for most shots, Firebird for extra beef. I too am in the 300+ range and plan on throwing more putters and mids to try and improve my distance but I also have a life outside of disc golf so until then those discs mentioned seem to work well for me.

If you are looking for something straight Backhand I would try Leo/3 or Teebird ( slightly OS) or a Valkyrie. I flick Firebirds and AviarX3s if I have to.

After a test on a football field yesterday I found I am throwing about 275 by hyzer flipping my Prodigy F5 which is basically a Leopard equavilant. I have a Leo at the same weight (169g) that behaves pretty much the same that I throw over water. If you are throwing about 275 they will flip flat and fade just far enough left that they will still be going mostly forward but come back to your line as they turn at the end. Overall this is a really straight shot. I have one at 158g that make a good compliment for a turnover disc or use with a slight tailwind

If you need a "straighter" mid a Mako3 is a good option.

Latest posts