• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Putter Suggestions

djjeremiahj

Double Eagle Member
I've got an Max Weight EcoStar Aviar that's got a concave plate. (it dips inward).
I only use it for Gimme Putts and shots within my "short putt" range. Beyond the 30' (or so) range i go do a different disc.

I want to test a new putter.
I've tried a magnet (liked it).
I've tried a max weight skeeter (liked it, but it wasnt a true "putter") - I really like the feel of a driver as a putter vs. the blunt feel.
I've tried a Dart. (Too floppy, loved the flight as a long range putter.) - Intrigued by a DX version.
I own a Rhyno, love it, but its not a putter.

Suggestions?
New Aviar?
Magnet?
DX Dart?

The rhyno is a putter.. It has the same speed as the Aviar more overstable with less glide. Great for putting in the wind.

The rhyno is a putter.. It has the same speed as the Aviar more overstable with less glide. Great for putting in the wind.

i know why people say that...
but for me its a "super short" approach range disc.

It doesnt have the glide of a putter; on any shot other than a gimme, it always falls short and you have to consciously adjust.

(dont think i am being a hater.... i LOVE my rhyno, i just dont use it in a putting capacity in most situations.)

I completely agree about the rhyno. Its my go to up shot disc when i am anywhere from 150' to 75'. I have been using a soft magnet and love it but if you dont like the floppy feeling, try a wizard. they just feel really solid in your hand. if you don't like the blunt feel of the wizard, its edges are really rounded, go with a magnet again. you said you liked it so just stick to what feels good.

APX/Reef if you want tons of glide, Magic if you like a low profile putter. I'm rocking an Ion for approaches and drives now.

SS Voodoo for me all the way. Just pick up the disc and hold it in your hand. For me it fits perfectly with my grip allowing me consistancy. I myself switched from Aviars.

I really like my Banger GT right now.. Before I was putting with a Challenger But now my Banger can really do it all for me

If you like the magnet, go for it, I loved mine, before I lost it...

Out of the putters you didn't mention, I'd say try a wizard. Honestly, all of the Gateway putters I've tried, I've liked, but there is something about a wizard...

There's nothing I'd rather drive/approach with than a seasoned M or Glow Wizard. Timko said it best on a DGR thread: the Wizard is a great short mid that you can putt with. (Note: people who hit frequently hit low with a max weight report greater success, especially from 30-out, with something closer to 170).

I'm playing around with a Magic, it feels really nice in the hand, putts just fine from the circle in, and it has a sweet neutral/fadeless drive with great glide right outta the box. It might make it into the bag, but the Wizards won't be going anywhere.

I can definitely recommend trying each of them, and there's lotsa Voodoo folks for whom Wizards didn't quite feel right, but Voodoos felt perfect. Throw one of those into your order too.

for a longer range putter and an approach disc, I use a DX Innova XD. The XD is a lower profile disc than most putters and will hold just about any angle I put it on. It also has a lot of glide for a putter which helps make those longer push-putts. An XD is old school and well worth giving it a try. I always carry it and an Aviar.

I have liked...

APX (my main putter)
Banger GT (windy day putter)
Magnet, hard and soft
Avair P&A (older softer one, the new ones in the store seem rock hard compared to it)

I was so-so about the soft organic wizard and could not stand the medium wizard.

I would recommend the APX even though you didn't care for the Dart. Discraft soft disc's are more tacky then floppy like the R-pro I've handled. Of the APX's I've handled the orange and red were the most firm with the light blue being the softest (though I've heard white is softer). The reasoning behind the APX is that it is a straight flying putter right out of the box. I constantly see people use over stable putters and miss left and throw big hyzer putts with no accuracy. Actually aiming for the basket seems so much easier.

Other then that the Banger GT is a good disc, but is low on the glide. The Focus also looks very interesting and eventually I need to try it out. If you are worried about not enough stability but don't want too much it seems designed exactly for that.

I'm not a fan of switching putter molds for conditions, though i did do it early on. Look for versatility, one that can be well controlled in a variety of situations.

I use three weights of Voodoos. a 171-172 for true putting, max weight for driving, and a 168 for long putts, finesse, as it will hold the line a bit longer (but it's the same line), yet still feels the same in my hand. If I'm putting into a headwind, I'll putt with the max weight instead and aim a touch low, and add a hint more hyzer to it to be sure it drops off the line. For approaches and short drives into a headwind, I grab a newish Roc, rather than a specialty putter, as the faster disc at low speeds will act more overstable, yet I still am comfortable with the line.

That's my take on it...choose a mold that allows versatility that isn't too much in one direction or the other that you could use in 95% of all situations. Voodoos, Wizards, Aviar BB, and similar putters seem to fit that description.

Wizard. Wizard. Wizard. Wizard.

I have to second or third the wizard. I bought a soft 1 for off the tee and longer putts, a SS for 15 ft to the basket and a SSS for the cold winter. I have to say I have never been happier with any other putter.

Since you like the low profile feel, what about an XD?

Although I am an avid focus lover, then wizard lover :)

You will always get a bunch of different answers on these. Only thing I can tell you is it is a lot of trial an error and in my case, my favorite is always that fresh new putter for a couple of weeks, then I become indifferent.

Latest posts