• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No 10 Meter Circle

Should we:

• Eliminate the 10m Circle

Votes: 61 24.6%
  • Keep the 10m Circle as is

Votes: 147 59.3%
  • Allow course designers to designate custom areas where stand-still putting is required

Votes: 28 11.3%
  • Players can jump from behind their lie and shoot before touching down.

Votes: 12 4.8%

• Total voters

Rockwell

Birdie Member
I see no need for a 10 meter circle in our game now.

The basic rule should be that you must have a supporting point behind your lie when you release your shot and no supporting points in front of your lie before you release.

This would make all shots from tee to pin fall under the same guidelines, and simplify any in-round rulings that people need to make regarding proper putting form or where the "circle" starts.

Am I wrong here? Is there a good reason for the putting circle?

This would allow step-through putting. You ok with that?

The basic rule should be that you must have a supporting point behind your lie when you release your shot and no supporting points in front of your lie before you release.

If the rules were implemented as you suggest, then anyone could jump-putt or walk-putt from any distance, and that's just silly.

The reason for the 10 meter circle is to prevent people from performing "falling" putts from a short distance.

This would make all shots from tee to pin fall under the same guidelines, and simplify any in-round rulings that people need to make regarding proper putting form or where the "circle" starts.

You are correct.

But you will be bombarded by everyone who claims that falling putts will ruin the game forever. HORRORS!

This is the rule already.

The point of the rule is to specify a point at which you are not allowed to follow through beyond your lie as part of the shot. Taking away the circle would mean that even on a long fairway shot, you cannot follow through completely. This would lead to increased risk for injury and less distance potential.

The point of the rule is to specify a point at which you are not allowed to follow through beyond your lie as part of the shot. Taking away the circle would mean that even on a long fairway shot, you cannot follow through completely. This would lead to increased risk for injury and less distance potential.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? The 10-meter circle rules are the exception to the stance rules that govern the rest of the course. Removing the circle would allow for follow-throughs anywhere on the course.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? The the 10-meter circle rules are the exception to the stance rules that govern the rest of the course. Removing the circle would allow for follow-throughs anywhere on the course.

Ah, I misread the OP as wanting to eliminate the circle to force the same in-the-circle restrictions to every shot not on the tee.

I think the biggest point you make which isn't even listed is the fact that I would bet maybe 5% of all holes even have a accurate circle. Its not like every DGC is built like a tennis court or basketball court.

Brad- Couldn't it just be allowed? forget the balancing acts and falling/jump putt debates? Not to mention it would make for a better reason to move to smaller (cheaper designed and better catching) baskets IMO.

I don't see falling putts or walk through putts as a problem. Just as I don't see following through on tee pads or approaches as a problem.

What are the perceived problems with a follow through on putting?

Brad- Couldn't it just be allowed? forget the balancing acts and falling/jump putt debates? Not to mention it would make for a better reason to move to smaller (cheaper designed and better catching) baskets IMO.

The problem is that allowing follow through on shots that close to the basket significantly change the shot. After about ten meters, the differences become much less. Yeah, you can squeeze a little more range out of a shot with a follow through, but a "falling putt" inside the circle can actually significantly reduce the distance of the shot.

10m is somewhat arbitrary, so for that reason, I'm okay with it not being easy to enforce exactly.

Yes, but at that distance (less than 30') will any skilled players need the 2 extra feet? I would guess most would prefer to stay balanced and in control. Those who don't are just adding risk/reward.

I think the biggest point you make which isn't even listed is the fact that I would bet maybe 5% of all holes even have a accurate circle. Its not like every DGC is built like a tennis court or basketball court.

Wait, courses have circles? I've seen them painted for tournaments, but I've never seen a circle marked permanently on the course. But as far as I'm concerned, 10 meters is 10 meters and it is impossible for it to be inconsistent from course to course.

Even if it is painted, the line isn't official. It's painted for player convenience first and foremost. If it is painted inaccurately, then it's meaningless in terms of rule enforcement. This is why players are allowed to carry measuring devices.

10m is not arbitrary. It is a very well defined unit of measurement lol. Its also called a decameter, aka decametre, aka dekametre

To the OP, the main issue is that step through putting will significantly increase putting percentages in the circle.

You can argue, this change should bring with it a move to smaller, harder to hit baskets but the reality is that changing all the existing baskets to smaller ones is not feasible at this point.

I'm lobbying the RC and Competition Committee that if a circle is marked, that it is the official line regardless if a player takes out a tape measure to check it. Also, that the circle doesn't have to be circular but could range from 7m to 15m to not only provide shape to our "greens" but to accommodate trees and terrain issues making it difficult to mark at precisely 10m. However, if no marking then 10m circle remains the default.

Wait, courses have circles? I've seen them painted for tournaments, but I've never seen a circle marked permanently on the course. But as far as I'm concerned, 10 meters is 10 meters and it is impossible for it to be inconsistent from course to course.

Even if it is painted, the line isn't official. It's painted for player convenience first and foremost. If it is painted inaccurately, then it's meaningless in terms of rule enforcement. This is why players are allowed to carry measuring devices.

THIS pretty much sums up my first post. Yes courses have designed putting circles sometimes very accurate and others not at all. Not to mention some wooded courses I don't even think there is a defined green that large in the first place.

To the OP, the main issue is that step through putting will significantly increase putting percentages in the circle.

You can argue, this change should bring with it a move to smaller, harder to hit baskets but the reality is that changing all the existing baskets to smaller ones is not feasible at this point.

I'm not sure it would make putting significantly easier, many people choose not to jump putt even outside the circle because they are more accurate with fewer moving parts.

Once someone is close enough for it to make a real difference (say, inside 8'), then it's a distance that has a high percentage of makes anyway and doesn't change the game.

Just delete the whole "am I outside?" question from our game.

I'm not sure it would make putting significantly easier, many people choose not to jump putt even outside the circle because they are more accurate with fewer moving parts.

Once someone is close enough for it to make a real difference (say, inside 8'), then it's a distance that has a high percentage of makes anyway and doesn't change the game.

Just delete the whole "am I outside?" question from our game.

I get your point.

I don't agree that it doesn't affect putting percentages though

Think of super windy days and the fact that you could step towards the basket. It would definitely help

Plus it would open a whole new can of worms of if the putt was released before the swing foot came down. I can foresee lots of arguments

I'm lobbying the RC and Competition Committee that if a circle is marked, that it is the official line regardless if a player takes out a tape measure to check it. Also, that the circle doesn't have to be circular but could range from 7m to 15m to not only provide shape to our "greens" but to accommodate trees and terrain issues making it difficult to mark at precisely 10m. However, if no marking then 10m circle remains the default.

Chuck, Has the idea of eliminating the circle come up in past rule committee meetings, and if so, do you know the reasons stated for keeping it?