• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No matter the style my putts miss right

samfoy

Bogey Member
Putting has always been the biggest struggle of my game. I've struggled to find consistency even at the 10' - 15' range and am currently easily bleeding 4+ strokes a game vs hitting 90% inside 20'.

I've done the putting confidence program when I was push putting, during which i could get into a rhythm when practicing. But at the end of the month, my putting during a round hadn't improved much and suffered the same inconsistency.

It seemed to come down to one issue. A tendency to pull right away from the pole. And then a mental hesitation about pulling right that would cause me to short it or not commit. I'd rarely miss high but straight. Would often miss right to right and high. and would miss low often, but rarely left.

I'm about 2 months in to coming back to the game after a ~4 years away from it. I bought a practice basket for my apartment since I can't get to a course everyday. I've been cycling through a number of different variables. Discs, plastics, beaded vs no bead, spin putting, grips, stance.

With spin putts i'm struggling to not "over open" my wrist, though i have been moderately more successful with them in general. There is just physically less going on.

I'll do long sessions to try and build some muscle memory. Short sessions to keep focus. I'll hit 10-12 in a row from 15'. Come back and miss 3/4. I'll focus on my chain or on the pole, and put 4 putts in a row 1 1/2 ft right.

Anyone fought through this particular issue before? Anyone have a mental trick or form cue to help combat it? Its getting a bit discouraging. Its just a bit crazy to me that I've put in several thousand practice putts in multiple styles from 15' and still see no consistency at that distance with any of those styles.

dysmike is on it.

I think of my back foot as the rudder. If you miss right and you didn't yank the release, then move it to the right an inch or two. Try again. This realigns your whole body.

Especially if you have a stack of putters in your off hand and you don't rearrange your feet between putts, and keep missing the same way. It's one thing when I miss two putts in a row...but when I miss two putts in a row in EXACTLY the same spot then what did I learn from my first miss...

Move your rear foot right.

I'll give this a try and report back. There are certainly putts where I felt like my wrist, arm, body motion was correct that missed right and this is probably sage advice for those situations. My bigger problem though is the inconsistency in release with arm and or wrist movement.

I should add. I've had the most success recently with a putt kind of inspired by HyzerUniBomber's short arm spin putt. I'm gripping out in front of the disc with my index finger at 12 o'clock and the disc well tucked in to my palm and wrist. This has fewer moving parts and it seems harder to over extend my wrist and cause that miss right.

dysmike is on it.

I think of my back foot as the rudder. If you miss right and you didn't yank the release, then move it to the right an inch or two. Try again. This realigns your whole body.

Especially if you have a stack of putters in your off hand and you don't rearrange your feet between putts, and keep missing the same way. It's one thing when I miss two putts in a row...but when I miss two putts in a row in EXACTLY the same spot then what did I learn from my first miss...

Yes its that yanking the release that I have issue with and don't seem to be able to fix.

Sounds like you are yanking the disc with index thumb pinch. Try out her grip https://youtu.be/pptxvrtN28o?t=39 She moves her thumb quite far to the middle, which makes its pretty tough to yank the disc with index/thumb.

Ok so I've immediately incorporated some things and notice some consistency here.

I'm taking a much more angled stance at the basket with my feet almost in a line with it. This seems to be making it much easier to keep my arm on line.

Combined with pinching the thumb and middle finger in the middle with my finger on the rim, my wrist is not overextending much.
After practicing it a bit i took 20 from 15'. Missed one a bit low and left and one a foot right. This seems promising.

That's good you feel an improvement. You can also post video, from the side and behind. While there are so many ways to putt effectively, a good clean weight transfer with balance, and consistent arm motion is needed for everyone.

That's good you feel an improvement. You can also post video, from the side and behind. While there are so many ways to putt effectively, a good clean weight transfer with balance, and consistent arm motion is needed for everyone.

I'll get someone to take some video next time I'm at the course.

That is part of the problem with my in apartment set up. Can't really get beyond 20' where the weight transfer is more exaggerated and practice that effect.

Couple other thoughts to supplement what's already been said above:

A MikeC tip that I sometimes use: try closing your eyes and feel whether or not you are balanced and if your weight shift is going directly targetward or not. Sometimes just a very small adjustment of balance here makes a big difference.

Similarly, practice rocking back and forth (as you drop your right butt cheek back to load [assuming RH] and shift forward), cognizant of whether your weight shift is going directly targetward or not. I feel like if it is, it becomes a lot harder to miss right or left.

And if you're like me, I used to use too much arm or maybe I just wasn't quite in sync with what my lower body was doing. Try to let your core drive the shot and simply let your arms be an extension of what your core and lower body are doing. That way, as you drive your motion forward, all you really need to do is let go toward the basket. Similar to a BH or FH drive.

I have similar space limitations in my basement, but even at 10-20 ft you can still do all of the above and feel your core and weight shift making the throw. Obviously, as you pointed out it's going to be to a lesser extent the closer you get and you aren't going to get the rear leg counter to the extent that Mcbeth gets at greater distances like SlowPlastic mentioned. But you can still feel and imagine your core driving the shot.

Good luck

I'm taking a much more angled stance at the basket with my feet almost in a line with it. This seems to be making it much easier to keep my arm on line.

So i've had a similar problem as yours fora while and it was my set-up in general too square to the basket. I basically now work from finish position backwards into a stance and then putt.
It seems to be helping but i'm still whack on consistency and i tend to just lose the whole feeling again mid round a lot, also most of the courses near me have a LOT of hillside and uneven ground greens so getting my stance messed up from that can kill my balance for the rest of the round.

I was trying to get my hip to drive into my plant leg and mimic McBeth in the vid slow linked, but my problem was when I was starting too square to the basket that rear hip drive was actually accentuating the yank to the right. I've been starting lined up like McBeth finishes, then trying to bring my rear foot down into a natural balanced place behind the front, then when I go through the putting motion my hips cock and drive naturally with the weight transfer. When i've got everything comfortable and in rhythm I fee like a world class putter with confidence beyond 20'. When its gone? ugh I feel like I"m putting into a basket with no chains even at 8'.

With spin putts i'm struggling to not "over open" my wrist, though i have been moderately more successful with them in general. There is just physically less going on. ...

Are you opening to a handshake? That's a pretty easy stopping point to hit. Just shake hands with your target.

Spin putts tend to miss right and left; pitch putts tend to miss high and low. I suggest trying both and seeing what clicks with you.

If you have not already done so, check the Technique Sticky and Instructional Videos on putting. Lots of good information in there.

Putting in practice and putting during a round are different. When you practice you throw lots of putts in a row. This allows you to make adjustments. During a round you have quite a bit of time between makeable putts. I find that practicing approach shots and then putting them out is a better simulation of conditions during a round.

A story, for what it is worth. I had been push-putting for years. My push putt was reasonably solid inside 25' and decent out to 35'. After taking a break for a few months I completely lost the feel for my putt and had to start from scratch.

Since I was starting over I switched to a pitch putt. The new putt is still a work in progress but getting more consistent. The nice thing is that the new putt has much more distance potential.

So what I am saying is this: you can see putting problems as a frustration (and they are!) or you can see putting problems as an opportunity to figure out a really solid putting stroke. Good luck!

Watch the consistency in how McBeth drives his back hip into the front hip to shift his whole weight forward. Hips start at like 45 degrees and end at 80+ degrees. On long jump putts he will be completely in line with the target, sometimes backwards slightly.

Thanks for pointing out the angles. My grip locked brain never picked up on it. It looks like Paul is finishing the putts with his shoulders in line with the basket. Is that what you guys are seeing as well?

Nice vertical, especially considering he is jumping off a concrete floor AND getting rim high with the left hand.

A story, for what it is worth. I had been push-putting for years. My push putt was reasonably solid inside 25' and decent out to 35'. After taking a break for a few months I completely lost the feel for my putt and had to start from scratch.

Since I was starting over I switched to a pitch putt. The new putt is still a work in progress but getting more consistent. The nice thing is that the new putt has much more distance potential.

I searched but the first few hits I had, have the pitch and push putt being the same. That's what I've understood. Pitch/Push/Shovel = stiff elbow, little wrist and/or finger action. What motion did you change to go from one term to the other?

I searched but the first few hits I had, have the pitch and push putt being the same. That's what I've understood. Pitch/Push/Shovel = stiff elbow, little wrist and/or finger action. What motion did you change to go from one term to the other?

Yes terminology is inconsistent. Old ("push") putt was bent arm, finger pop, but little to no wrist break (not a spin putt).

New putt is more traditional straight(ish) arm pitch putt.

Yeah my old putt was quirky.

Thanks for pointing out the angles. My grip locked brain never picked up on it. It looks like Paul is finishing the putts with his shoulders in line with the basket. Is that what you guys are seeing as well?

Yeah I never noticed that...but when I go through my putting motion I also end up with my shoulders in line with the target. I was more focusing on getting the rear hip to shift the entire pelvis onto the front leg. So many people start with the pelvis at 45ish degrees, and push directly toward the target and end up on the front leg still with a 45 degree pelvis. It makes them want to keep tipping forward, these people often need to step through when just outside the circle. When you turn the rear hip into the front hip, the entire torso/spine shifts onto the front hip and the back leg just swings around to even out the balance.

I had to concentrate on this back leg swing thing a little at first, it felt better but different. Now it just feels balanced, and if I think about it then I end up overdoing it and my consistency disappears.

The other thing that ruins my consistency is elbow bend amount. If I have zero elbow bend/fully straight arm then I get no power, but if I have slightly too much elbow bend then zero consistency. That's when I really get the left/right misses. For my putts if I have just a slight elbow bend, almost like how it is when you let your arm hang to the side of your body, this gives me enough extra pop on the putt but doesn't mess with my arm swing consistency.

What helped me was to pay attention to exactly how I line up, I am a slush putter however my form is heavily influenced by Ricky wysocki, after studying multiple forms it proved most effective for me. I line up square but my lead door to points inward slightly, this give my shoulder just enough then to release naturally but still be aiming straight on sandstone different stance