• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No matter the style my putts miss right

I saw a putting clinic on here can't remember who it was.. Some pro.. He suggested a straight arm approach without arm movement locked in, kind of a horseshoe pitch.

I'm with Dr bogey.. Slight hyzer, try a straight lob in a line with basket, back foot turned so there is a straight path from start to finish to the basket. Try something a little stable Rhyno or better an Envy haha.

In a new development that totally surprised me, a slight anhyzer putt seems to be actually working really well for me. My misses seem to be much more in the normal range for a spin putt. I haven't tried this outside about 25 feet yet but will report back after the weekend.

What are you putting with?

The reason I ask is because when I put with beadless putters, they seem to drag a little on the crease of my index finger and I hang on to them just that extra bit and every other putt misses right.

The bigger the bead the better for me.

Just a thought

What are you putting with?

The reason I ask is because when I put with beadless putters, they seem to drag a little on the crease of my index finger and I hang on to them just that extra bit and every other putt misses right.

The bigger the bead the better for me.

Just a thought

I've tried several beadless, small bead and big bead. Putting with firm electron Ions right now. They seem to feel the best in my hand.

I'd simplify. If you are consistently missing right by the same amount, it could actually be a good thing. Just aim left of the target until it works.

Putting is always an adventure with me because i am right handed but i am left eye dominate. So i just square my hips & belly button up to the pole & pray for the best.

I say use other arm as a track guide with the disc when putting, only thing that helped me not miss as much left or right on the basket from a traditional putt style back when I changed from a no disc rotation basketball like putt that I stunk with, when I tried to play disc golf again in 2014 after not really playing much since early 2009. It is a push pitch putt combo with adding spin to the push style further I am from the basket starting at 10 or 12 feet adding spin.

Putting is always an adventure with me because i am right handed but i am left eye dominate. So i just square my hips & belly button up to the pole & pray for the best.

I am too, I do the same, with front foot to the pole and trying to have throwing arm in line with the pole too.

I am a huge advocate of always aiming at the basket. Not off target to miss and hope your bad form goes in.

With my armpit comment I wanted to convey a weight transfer without saying shift your weight towards your target. Another culprit of missing right could be that your weight transfer is ahead of your arm motion. Start your arm first to trigger your timing. Go through your putting motion without a disc often to verify that your WT is taking your hand to the basket. Have your body weight on your forefeet. Hmmm, forefeet/forefoot? Not sure if that is a word, but it is very important.

Sounds like you are yanking the disc with index thumb pinch. Try out her grip https://youtu.be/pptxvrtN28o?t=39 She moves her thumb quite far to the middle, which makes its pretty tough to yank the disc with index/thumb.

Should never be really pinching the disc between thumb and index finger in putting. It's the thumb and middle and ring finger that have the most pressure. The index is just for the lip of the bead/disc to rest on and control nose angle. See Dave Feldberg's clinics.

When a player shoots a free throw he/she puts backspin on the ball. That spin is in line with the basket, that means the ball isn't ever pulled off line. The "pull the disc to the right phenomena" is actually common, you see it on the part of Pro players in video. The reason it occurs is obvious, if you lift the disc without spinning it, it flies like a wounded duck. To get it to fly right, you have to put spin on it. Spin is to the right so, viola, the disc wants to pull right.

I suffer greatly from this problem. In fact, I have a tournament reputation in my age bracket. I drive about 950, and putt about 750, so I'm an 850 rated player.

Here's my suggestion.

Lift putt, That wrist flick to put spin on the putt, its job isn't just to put spin on the putt, it's to lift the putt into the basket. If the focus in on the spin lifting the disc, instead of just putting spin on the disc, then the force going into the disc is up, not to the right.

Spin putt, this one is harder. The concept is the same, the spin isn't to put spin on the putter, it's to put it into the basket. However, since you're already on line, it's harder to mentally justify that the spin is to lift the disc into the basket. The solution lies below, but you have to use the same techniques for either style.

To get this to work you have to slow down. Go watch Paul McBeth putt. few do it like him. Most bounce the disc up and down to set a rhythm and get the angles right. He doesn't. He looks at the basket, sets his distance and stroke then very slowly lowers the disc to the bottom of his stroke. He pauses there and lifts cleanly and spins the disc into the chains. All players are slower than you think. Most of them have a momentary pause at the bottom of their stroke, Paul's is pronounced. The truth is that you need zero momentum from that down stroke. The lift and distance comes from the flick/spin on the putt, not from the stroke per say.

1) His stroke is slow and measured, never hurried. You don't need a ton of lift and arm speed inside twenty feet. Twenty to thirty you don't need much either. You just aim higher. That is, the point you're trying to drop the disc onto is at the top of the basket, not the middle.

2) Never rush any part of your putt. That's what goes wrong for me. Under pressure, I didn't want too much time to think so I'd hurry. Don't do that. It's an easy thing, lift the disc into the basket.

3) There's a tendency to lift the disc too high at release. To get the disc into the basket on a high release the spin has to push the disc out, not up. On 15 feet and in, my release point is below the basket. The spin has to lift the disc or it won't get in. From 15 to 25 it's about midway, from 25 to 35 it's to the top of the basket (or a little lower). When I'm outside 35 I use a different stroke, one that I've never had problems with. It is meant to put drive on the putter to get it there, and it is more in the vein of a layup. I figured out that if I aimed at the basket, sometimes it fell in.

Practice like you putt. You've read this, I now cause I have, over and over. Put pressure on your putt, and follow the same rules. I don't try and make it autonomous. I try and learn this so that if something goes wrong, I know the parts of the putt so well that I can look my putt and say, that went wrong.

I am a perpetual "miss right" guy and I know EXACTLY what the cause is. You are getting your disc to the hit before your arm and body. The disc gets out there and because the force to propel it to the target hasn't arrived yet your wrist flies open.

One suggestion in this thread was to move your armpit towards the basket. Do NOT do this. It will.happen naturally with poor form, as you are trying to give your hand a couple extra inches of leeway before your wrist flies open. But what you are really doing is allowing the wrist to open even more freely.

I'll do long sessions to try and build some muscle memory. Short sessions to keep focus. I'll hit 10-12 in a row from 15'. Come back and miss 3/4. I'll focus on my chain or on the pole, and put 4 putts in a row 1 1/2 ft right.

If the OP is making 10-12 in a row then missing a bunch right all aiming at the same target, then I don't think aiming left will solve things. He'll just miss left when he "hits" what he's aiming for right?

I straddle putt as flat and straight as possible with a good deal of spin. I had the exact problem as the OP (over/under opening the wrist) and what worked for me to fix it will probably sound overly simplistic but it did work. I keep the disc on line to my target at all times and follow through at the target well after the disc leaves my hand. I don't punctuate the putt with the release of the disc. That is what was causing left/right misses for me. If 0 is the position of my hand at the full backswing and 10 is the position of my hand at the end of my follow through, the the release of the disc is somewhere at 8 to 9. I use a slight flex of the wrist on my back swing and no extension on the follow through. I guess this is similar to "paint the pole"

I know thats not mind blowing but my point is that you always put that rule first. I still have 3 or 4 essential parts to my putting stroke that need to happen, but if anything in the putting stroke fails that shouldnt be it. The desired release of the disc is important for me also but it comes second to that rule.

I imagine the target on a vertical line that extends to infiniti up to the sky and down into the ground. The disc should be locked onto that line as much as possible like a train on a track and follow through is essential.

Putting has always been the biggest struggle of my game. I've struggled to find consistency even at the 10' - 15' range and am currently easily bleeding 4+ strokes a game vs hitting 90% inside 20'.

fwiw...I was (still am maybe) in a similar position. But what has helped...me immensely and add a good recent win, is to pretty much only practice putting at 25ft. Sure I'll start and end with a few putts at 5,10,15,20, but the majority of my practice is at 25ft now. It has allowed me to develop more confidence, snap, aim, etc. I've come to realize that putting is the most time sensitive aspect of this game. If you don't put in the time, you simply will not get better. And it's the first thing to go after taking some time off. Even if you don't play every day, get a basket and putt for at least 15 min a day, it will pay off huge..eventually.

I am a perpetual "miss right" guy and I know EXACTLY what the cause is. You are getting your disc to the hit before your arm and body. The disc gets out there and because the force to propel it to the target hasn't arrived yet your wrist flies open.

One suggestion in this thread was to move your armpit towards the basket. Do NOT do this. It will.happen naturally with poor form, as you are trying to give your hand a couple extra inches of leeway before your wrist flies open. But what you are really doing is allowing the wrist to open even more freely.

This! After I wrote my original post I went and thought about the issue and what works and doesn't. Sonic is right! At least for me. When I start that snap too early it is way off, but a smooth lift into the wrist snap seems to fix the problem.

Latest posts