• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

How would I release it a hyzer line? Put the disc on an angle?

Never palm up on follow through-- always palm down so you can see the back of your hand in your follow through.

Pull through with the disc on a hyzer angle so the nose of the disc is 10-90 degrees below flat which at first might feel like an early release issue etc but will take time to execute with no "OAT"

Take the slowest and least stable disc you own out to field, throw it so the disc only goes left (rhbh) and doesn't really travel flat or turn right for the majority of its flight: that is a hyzer line.

Careful about saying "palm down", your hand should stay on the plane of your throw. If you roll your palm down, that's still imparting OAT, just in the opposite direction of rolling your palm up.

Careful about saying "palm down", your hand should stay on the plane of your throw. If you roll your palm down, that's still imparting OAT, just in the opposite direction of rolling your palm up.

And you need to specify if you are giving advice to a BH thrower or a FH thrower. Most forehand throwers should keep their palm up to keep from wrist roll-imparted OAT.

Ok this is prolly a really dumb question but I throw right handed is there a disc that goes right instead of left? Or is it the way I throw?

Ok this is prolly a really dumb question but I throw right handed is there a disc that goes right instead of left? Or is it the way I throw?

You need an understable disc and/or better form and/or throw with anhyzer.

If you look at the Innova discs for example, they'll list discs as having something called "turn" with usually a negative number. The more negative, the more understable (-1 compared to -4 for example). If it has little "fade" also then it will be really understable.

Edit: Do you mean backhand or forehand? If backhand, the advice above applies. If RHFH, then pretty much the opposite of what I said, overstable instead of understable, little turn, more fade. For beginners though, it's really easy to turn a disc to the left when learning FH because of OAT (off axis torque) so make sure it's you and not the disc.

Last edited:

Not all discs are on Innova's scale, so we'd suggest you check this out:

http://inflightguide.net

Generally speaking, the lower the Net Stability, the more understable (e.g. right turning) the disc will be. Anything that has a very negative HST value will have more right-turning tendencies. That said, frequently disc flight will be determined by the archer and not the arrow. Here is a link to some of the other Factors Affecting Disc Flight (not the least of which being player arm speed/power).

All disc will veer left for a RHBH as the spin slows. Some more then others but its the laws of nature. This can be combatted with higher spin but as the disc slows mother nature takes over.

Still learning here myself.. so I had/have a similar issue, when throwing RHBH all, even my understable disc, want to fly to the left. My throws will usually start out straight when up to speed, but as they slow all want to fade and curve ending to the left.. the simplest solution I found was learning to throw FH... Instead of the disc naturally fading to the left at the end of the throw, the disc will tend to fade right when thrown FH this is because the disc is spinning in the opposite direction.. Give it a shot.. also when throwing FH I have found that using a stable to over stable disc helps me..

Try a disc like a Discraft Stratus for throwing RHBH. It will turn to the right for you even if you are a new player. Not the longest or fastest disc in the world, but will be perfect for your new game. Watch some videos on technique and how to grip the disc correctly. This should help you get the proper revolutions on the disc.

Is it always true that the flatter the disc the more OS it is? Or is it only with certain molds/plastics? Also is the X-Files the greatest syfy television series of all time?

Not all discs are on Innova's scale, so we'd suggest you check this out:

http://inflightguide.net

Generally speaking, the lower the Net Stability, the more understable (e.g. right turning) the disc will be. Anything that has a very negative HST value will have more right-turning tendencies. That said, frequently disc flight will be determined by the archer and not the arrow. Here is a link to some of the other Factors Affecting Disc Flight (not the least of which being player arm speed/power).

Not trying to start a fight about whose ratings are better, but that's not entirely true. Disc Golf Center has pretty much all the brands listed with Innova's flight ratings (which I absolutely LOVE). It's kind of like the disc golf world starting to go metric.

Is it always true that the flatter the disc the more OS it is? Or is it only with certain molds/plastics? Also is the X-Files the greatest syfy television series of all time?

That's what I've heard from multiple sources, but I can't say for sure.

And on the X-Files, it's great, but I still gotta go for a tie between Doctor Who and Stargate SG1.

(Hey, half a post being disc golf related still counts.)

Latest posts