• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

Is it always true that the flatter the disc the more OS it is? Or is it only with certain molds/plastics? Also is the X-Files the greatest syfy television series of all time?
1. not always. flat firebirds are more stable than domey ones. flat rocs are less stable.

2. maybe

What is a good innova disc for tomahawks?

Depends on what you want it to do. Most of the time its a firebird because it will flip or pan out really quickly.

However if you want the disc to flip slowly try a roadrunner. Good for going over the top of trees in a get out of trouble situation.

So I just started out in the sport about 4 months ago, my first driver purchase was a NukeSS 170-172. Initially it would always end up cutting hard to the left and I was getting about 200-250 out of it. Now I'm getting 300-350 out of it but it's unpredictable, more often than not it's turning right and staying right.

It's fairly beat in I'd guess being my primary driver since I began. I bought another this weekend in the same weight and it seems to go hard left like the first one did. Is this the norm for discs that are "broken in" and is the right turning pretty typical of what I will see out of this model going forward? Should I try moving to a standard Nuke to get a straighter line?

Sorry if these questions belong elsewhere, just thought it was relevant. Any advice is appreciated.

So I just started out in the sport about 4 months ago, my first driver purchase was a NukeSS 170-172. Initially it would always end up cutting hard to the left and I was getting about 200-250 out of it. Now I'm getting 300-350 out of it but it's unpredictable, more often than not it's turning right and staying right.

It's fairly beat in I'd guess being my primary driver since I began. I bought another this weekend in the same weight and it seems to go hard left like the first one did. Is this the norm for discs that are "broken in" and is the right turning pretty typical of what I will see out of this model going forward? Should I try moving to a standard Nuke to get a straighter line?

Sorry if these questions belong elsewhere, just thought it was relevant. Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to the sport! I believe you ought to find a lower speed disc. I always suggest a Leopard but that was my first driver so I am biased (still have in my bag always though).

And yes, as you beat in discs they will be more understable.

Not trying to start a fight about whose ratings are better, but that's not entirely true. Disc Golf Center has pretty much all the brands listed with Innova's flight ratings (which I absolutely LOVE). It's kind of like the disc golf world starting to go metric.

Not fighting, but a few months ago I compared the number of discs to different sites and DGC still has like 150-200 fewer discs than the inbounds site.

Doing an unsanctioned tournament coming up soon with a friend of mine, and I have a question in regards to par for the intermediate division. What par can we expect to play by, and is it safe to assume we would be playing shorts?

Hard to say since it really varies by TD and by region. What course are you playing?

Doing an unsanctioned tournament coming up soon with a friend of mine, and I have a question in regards to par for the intermediate division. What par can we expect to play by, and is it safe to assume we would be playing shorts?

Par is confusing, misleading, and ultimately irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the total number of strokes it took you to complete the course in each round.

Hard to say since it really varies by TD and by region. What course are you playing?

Hudson Mills Monster and Original here in Michigan.

Par is confusing, misleading, and ultimately irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the total number of strokes it took you to complete the course in each round.

Well I asked for a reason...

Im trying to get an idea for where me and my friend would place among other players..

Maybe im better off messaging the TD...

Last edited:
Hudson Mills Monster and Original here in Michigan.

Well I asked for a reason...

Im trying to get an idea for where me and my friend would place among other players..

Unfortunately, par won't tell you that. Everyone's idea of 'par' is different on any given course. imho it'd be more useful info for you to find out the total number of strokes it takes an average PRO / ADV / INT to complete the course in, they compare that to your own experience. If you use 'par', you're never going to be sure whether they were counting hole #7 as a 4, #12 as a 3, etc...

Unfortunately, par won't tell you that. Everyone's idea of 'par' is different on any given course. imho it'd be more useful info for you to find out the total number of strokes it takes an average PRO / ADV / INT to complete the course in, they compare that to your own experience. If you use 'par', you're never going to be sure whether they were counting hole #7 as a 4, #12 as a 3, etc...

fair enough, ill ask them about total strokes.

What does having a bead on a disc mean?

bead_describe.jpg

Compare Beads:
bead_compare.jpg

Big Bead:
bead_big.jpg

Small Bead:
bead_small.jpg

No Bead:
bead_none.jpg
tadah!

Latest posts