• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Olorin

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
I believe that I've played more North Carolina courses than anybody else. Of course, I should provide a number to back that up, but I haven't counted lately. I know it's >80 public and private courses. I've traversed the state and I'd be really surprised if someone else has visited all of the out of the way places that I've been.

I just made a web page using Google sites and I posted my ratings of the courses I've played. I'm not at all claiming that this is THE list, but these are just my opinion. YMMV. I'm sure there are lots of different opinions out there.

Since this is my first time using this I'm not sure how well it works. The page is NC Course Ratings. I'd be quite interested to know if people can read it, so I'd love to hear your feedback. I'm not asking about whether you agree or not, just how easy it is to access.

That's quite a list and it reads just fine.
Good resource. With the price of gas, it's good to know which courses are worth the drive. Thanks.

Hi Olorin,

You've got me beat on the number of NC courses played.

I live in Rocky Mount and I'm very curious why you rate Englewood as a better course than Farmington. As you say; opinions vary, but I'd rate Farmington at least two points higher than Englewood.

We have two new courses in Rocky Mount now that you haven't played. Sunset Park opened last year and it's a beautiful course. There's another new course that has just opened at the Sports Complex. The baskets for the back nine have only been in the ground about two weeks now, so it's still a work in progress. Looks like it will be a very nice course once it's cleaned up a little more. C'mon over sometime!

I feel very lucky to have four courses in my town. Not bad for a town with just onder 60,000 people. Now if we can just get this local disc club off the ground....

Oh, I've played 96 NC courses.

Sonny,

Thanks for pointing that out. Farmington was a typo and should be a 6. I agree that Farmington is better than Englewood. Also, I'm looking forward to playing the next 2. Funny thing-- I had hoped to play Sunset today, actually, but my plans changed.

NC Alphabetical

I also just posted a list that is sorted alphabetically by city in NC. Go to NC Course Ratings- Alphabetical.

Again, please let me know how it looks to you. I know that the columns aren't straight.

Looks good Lowe

It shows up well in my browser. Glad to see Fox Chase highly ranked, I really love that course, just wish it was a tad closer to me. And I've got to get to Burlington to play!

Great job on it....I've only played 4 NC courses so far. Agree with your ratings, other than Waynesville, might have given that one a few more, not a great course, but a couple holes were fairly unique. Am dying to go and play Fontana, as my parents live in Franklin. Was hoping to this summer while I was up there during vacation, but really didn't want to go and play it by myself either. I know they had a tourney there this last spring, but they really should try and do one closer to summer months when the weather is just a bit warmer, might get a better turn out. Also going to try to get some friends together and go do a Charlotte loop.

I live in the Asheville, NC area. They've got a few more (new) baskets at Brevard college but no signs or Teepads yet. They need a course map too. Fletcher has moved their baskets around a bit from when you played in '02. I see you missed Bon Clarken. Let me know if you want to play there. I can set up a tee time for you with one of the residents.
I have to believe you didn't stop at the NC border on every trip. What is your grand total of courses played? It's gotta be a lot.

I see you missed Bon Clarken. Let me know if you want to play there. I can set up a tee time for you with one of the residents.

Thanks, I'll take you up on that some day.

I have to believe you didn't stop at the NC border on every trip. What is your grand total of courses played? It's gotta be a lot.
I'm currently at 216 played. My main focus has been on playing NC course, though. I've played every NC course installed before Jan 2006, but so many new ones are going in that I can't keep up, plus I don't make as many trips to play as I once did.

I love playing new courses. Keeps the game fresh for me. I travel for work occasionally & always bring a disc or two with me. I'll check the PDGA site for courses in the area I'm traveling to.

Hey Olorin, have you tried the course in Boiling Springs, SC yet?? It is located off I-85 North of Spartanburg SC. It is a fairly new course, with long and short teepads, however the long is just that...LONGG, similar to Hornets Nest web configuration. They have a good mix of woods and open, and elevation changes as well. Only negative thing that I saw on that course was hole #17, not really well designed at all, but otherwise a really fun course.

Hey Olorin, have you tried the course in Boiling Springs, SC yet??

I assume you mean Va-Du-Mar Park. I haven't played it, but it's already in my wish list. Thanks for the shout out. When people mention courses it makes me more interested to play them.

There's also Gardner-Webb U in Boiling Springs NC. A 9 holer that I haven't played yet either.

I played 2 NC courses both were 12-15 years ago and I don't remember the name of either course. One was short with pine trees ( you couldn't go more than 10' off the fairway without hitting a tree) Somewhere near Pinehurst or Whispering pines. Most of the trees were within two arm lengths. Ang the the holes would be 100' to 90 degree dogleg and then another 100' to the basket. There were a few holes that were like 200' and 3 was still tough. The other was more of a park with picnic tables and playgrounds near Raleigh. The second one had a signature hole that was 315' over a pond where you had to clear 280' in the air or follow the trail to the left. Since I've gotten back into playing I've been trying to figure out which courses those were.

The first one may have been Sloan in Sanford. The second on is Cedar Hills in Raleigh.

Hey Olorin, have you tried the course in Boiling Springs, SC yet?? It is located off I-85 North of Spartanburg SC. It is a fairly new course, with long and short teepads, however the long is just that...LONGG, similar to Hornets Nest web configuration. They have a good mix of woods and open, and elevation changes as well. Only negative thing that I saw on that course was hole #17, not really well designed at all, but otherwise a really fun course.
This course is really nice. I loved it from the first time I played it. Hole #17 is real tricky from the long pad. There is OB on both sides of a narrow path. You could 'big arm' bomb it & there is sort of 'island' green. But I could not reach it myself (yet). It's right down I26 from me. I'll go with you!

This course is really nice. I loved it from the first time I played it. Hole #17 is real tricky from the long pad. There is OB on both sides of a narrow path. You could 'big arm' bomb it & there is sort of 'island' green. But I could not reach it myself (yet). It's right down I26 from me. I'll go with you!

Not sure when I'm going to get back up that way again, but I'll definately drop you a message when I do.....Might plan a day trip, play Ashville and Va du mar. Felt the same way you did with that course, loved it the very first time I played it. We had it added to the SC tournaments series this year...and kind of had a love/hate relationship with it. Played a GREAT game except one hole...wanting to say #14. Went OB twice on it and took a 7 first round. Second round, exact same hole was our CTP for our division. I placed it about 4 ft on my drive for a birdie. Ended up taking 2nd overall and lost by 3 strokes. Had I even taken par on that very hole, I would have won by 1 stroke. They gave out wooden disc trophies that were very nice. And the CTP prize that I did win on that hole was great. I got a champ. Excaliber, Champ Coyote that was dyed with a flame design<very cool:)>, and a mini driver that was dyed with the superman "s" on it.

Your really blessed to live in this region as I always love to visit North Carolina to play some Disc Golf. I've only played 28 DG in your beautiful state, and my favorite is just like yours. (but my all time favorite in NC was and always will be Boylan Farms in Laurel Springs. It was like playing in another world (does the Moon have trees??). I've played 566 different DG currently and i'm looking to add a few more when I go on vacation in a couple weeks. I've made a copy of your list and if I make a wrong (or right turn) I could end up finding myself back in North Carolina again this year.

May the course be with you ------------------------ - +

dan 'hyzer' kilgore #4697

Congratulations

I've played 566 different DG currently and i'm looking to add a few more when I go on vacation in a couple weeks. I've made a copy of your list and if I make a wrong (or right turn) I could end up finding myself back in North Carolina again this year.

May the course be with you ------------------------ - +

dan 'hyzer' kilgore #4697

Congrats Dan! Having played 566 courses you're #3 on the all time list of most courses played (as far as I know)!! Only Greg Hossfeld and Ben Calhoun have played more.

(BTW, can anyone find the thread on this topic? I couldn't find think of a good search term, and don't know where it is. I'd like to note Dan's name there.)

Latest posts