• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

North Carolina Courses

Got to meet Greg Hossfield, he played the SC Flying Discs Championships at my home course in Chapin SC, then the following week he played the Golden Corner Classic in Seneca <near Clemson>. One heck of a nice guy, and entertaining as well. At that point he was at + or - 980 courses played.

Not sure when I'm going to get back up that way again, but I'll definately drop you a message when I do.....Might plan a day trip, play Ashville and Va du mar. Felt the same way you did with that course, loved it the very first time I played it. We had it added to the SC tournaments series this year...and kind of had a love/hate relationship with it. Played a GREAT game except one hole...wanting to say #14. Went OB twice on it and took a 7 first round. Second round, exact same hole was our CTP for our division. I placed it about 4 ft on my drive for a birdie. Ended up taking 2nd overall and lost by 3 strokes. Had I even taken par on that very hole, I would have won by 1 stroke. They gave out wooden disc trophies that were very nice. And the CTP prize that I did win on that hole was great. I got a champ. Excaliber, Champ Coyote that was dyed with a flame design<very cool:)>, and a mini driver that was dyed with the superman "s" on it.
I played that tourney & got 2nd place AGM. The trophies were awesome. I also won a CTP there & got a sweet champ Xcaliber with cool stamp. See pics:
trophycopy.jpg
[/IMG]

is that trophy made of wood? that is freaking awesome if it is!!! congrats on second place, and the kick ass trophy...

Congrats Dan! Having played 566 courses you're #3 on the all time list of most courses played (as far as I know)!! Only Greg Hossfeld and Ben Calhoun have played more.

(BTW, can anyone find the thread on this topic? I couldn't find think of a good search term, and don't know where it is. I'd like to note Dan's name there.)

Ask and you shall recieve....ORIGINAL POST : Who's number 3?

is that trophy made of wood? that is freaking awesome if it is!!! congrats on second place, and the kick ass trophy...
Yeah, it's made of wood. I saw these on display at the beginning of the tourney. I figured they were 1st place trophies only. I was so stoked to get one. Overall it was a great tourney with a cool players pack:
playerspackcopy.jpg

I agree...the wooden trophies were awesome, the CTP prizes were as well, and the players pack was very well done. Thought it was one of the best tournaments so far in the SCDGO series this year. Was the first time that I had played the course <well other than the week or so before when my friends and I came up to practice before the tourney>. I also got the champ excaliber in the Firecracker fling color. Ended up giving it to the local club for a CTP prize, and the guy who won it can throw it a mile.
Hopefully they will continue to have tournaments there, and make it an annual event.

You MUST play this course which you do not have on your list.

I guess you might not have heard of the new badass course in Ashe County in northwest NC. It is a true Blue Ridge Mountain experience. You can check out the club web page at www.thehighcountrydiscgolfclub.com/ . You might be re-rating the top part of your list after you play this course. This course should be next on your agenda to go try out if you have not.

I guess you might not have heard of the new badass course in Ashe County in northwest NC. It is a true Blue Ridge Mountain experience. You can check out the club web page at www.thehighcountrydiscgolfclub.com/ . You might be re-rating the top part of your list after you play this course. This course should be next on your agenda to go try out if you have not.

Went to the website and checked it out...looks and sounds awesome! Problem is I'm in SC near Columbia, so it's a pretty good hike up for me, and it's not on the way to my parents in Franklin, NC. But I have bookmarked it, may have to make it part of my Charlotte loop at some time. Great looking site!

hycard,

Since you asked for recommendations, where do you live?

Reidsville

Olorin - there is a new course in Reidsville NC - having their first PDGA tourney there this weekend - check it out.

By Reidsville I assume you mean Lake's Edge. Is that right? If so, it's a nice course. That was one of the toughest reviews that I've done so far. I gave it a 3.

Great job Olorin.....agree with the ones on your list I've played. Hornets nest....there's the nest, and then the Web <ultra long>....may want to put that rating on as well, if you have the energy to do it after playing that is...LOL

Great job Olorin.....agree with the ones on your list I've played. Hornets nest....there's the nest, and then the Web <ultra long>....may want to put that rating on as well, if you have the energy to do it after playing that is...LOL

Danny,

Always glad to be of help. I haven't been able to play the Nest yet. My proposed trips to DG Mecca keep getting postponed. Hopefully will get there in '09. I'm really looking forward to trying the Nest.

dont forget renaissance gold for the ultimate humbling experience.

Pete,

(Assuming you've made it over here...) I, too, would highly recommend Renny. It's the best course of the 210+ that I've played, and it's got one of the two 5 disc ratings that I've given.

hey olorin, i'm wanting your professional opinion...coming from Wake Forest, do you think I can make the drive to Burlington to play both Cedarock and Wellspring and then up to Reidsville to play Lake's Edge all in a day? it's gonna be about 200 miles of driving plus at least 1 relatively long course with Cedarock...what do you think, biting off more than i can chew?

Do you regularly post on "NC players" page?

Actually I haven't checked it in a long time. Too busy w/ reviews and this MB... but I did just leave 3 messages there.