• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nuke vs Boss

Marty McFly

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
How do they compare? I just got a Nuke and have not thrown it yet. I remember somebody saying the Nuke will be like a Boss...

Is it overstable/stable or what?

nuke seemd less stable and with more glide than a boss out of the box. now it has a ton of high speed turn, but still fades predictably. a good s-curve disc. i prefer the feel of the boss. or maybe star/champ plastic. that esp plastic is garbage.

the Nuke's flight path for me is similar to a Wraith or Surge. Assuming you have the arm to get it up to speed and the room to let it glide, it will fly a little longer than a Boss.

nuke seemd less stable and with more glide than a boss out of the box. now it has a ton of high speed turn, but still fades predictably. a good s-curve disc. i prefer the feel of the boss. or maybe star/champ plastic. that esp plastic is garbage.

Exactly.

Discraft needs to come out with a Z version, pronto.

I disagree. Its more like a Groove than a Boss, least for me. Groove never comes back like the Nuke has been doing, where the Boss always fades back to the left. Took the Nuke out of my bag and will continue to play with Halos and Wraiths/Surges as they seem way more predictable for me.

When you say Boss what boss are you talking about?

Nuke is only avaliable in ESP so its only really fair to compare it to a star Boss.Nuke is definatly flippier than Star Bosses - but watch out for dodgy runs, and R pros are rediculiously flippy.

There is talk of a Nuke X in the works should you find your Nuke a little to flippy, I imagine this would be some where around 1.8 in stablility to fit right in between the force and the nuke.

Becareful when selecting your boss, do your research first.
Proto
Champ
Midnight Star
Star
Pro
R-Pro

They all fly differently.
Thanks Innova.

So wait,

Innova offer how many types of plastic?

DX
The one that floats in water
Pro
R-Pro
R-Pro Wood
KC-Pro
JK-Pro
Star
Midnight Star
Eco Star
Champion
Gummy Champion

Whats Next ?

I think they're talking about nightshift plastic, similar to star but a slightly different blend that usually makes the disc more stable. I know there are at least orcs and bosses out there in the nightshift plastic, I don't know what else.

I'm sorry but I've thrown both enough times and other than the Boss having an ever slightly bigger fade at the end I can't feel much difference. This is comparing Star to ESP. The Champion plastic seems more stable than both Star or ESP. However - for the average player - there's not much difference.

In my experience the Nuke is more understable than either the Champ or Echo Star Boss. My R-Pro Boss is the most understable of the bunch, but that is due to the particular plastic. At my power level(average drive 350ft) the Boss has no high speed turn and lots of fade. The Nuke on the other hand will sometimes track right a bit before fading gently to the left. My Champ and Echo Star Boss have a earlier and more pronounced fade than my Nuke.

With that being said, at my power level I can get the Nuke out farther with the exemption of the R-Pro Boss. The R-Pro Boss can BOMB when thrown just right, but it's a very sensitive disc so I don't toss is frequently.

I'm resurrecting this OLD thread because I'm undecided on what to do. I currently have a Bliz Boss and I'm not a fan. I not sure if it's the Bliz plastic variation, the Champ plastic itself, or the Boss itself that isn't working for me. I can't throw it nearly as far as my 166g Tern Champ, which leads me to believe it's not the Champ plastic. It also never lands where I expect it too. I do need a disc with a similar line in my bag tho. So I ask, do I stay with a Boss just switch plastics or weight (my current Bliz Boss is pretty light, 137g) or get a disc with a similar line like a Nuke or a Havoc? If I do switch to a Nuke do I go Z-Lite (keeping in the vein of my Bliz Boss) or a different type of plastic all together? Anyway I know this is a loaded question, but any help would be appreciated.

A little more weight will add some more predictability. Try a 150-155g Blizzard Boss maybe.

Why did Discraft discontinue Nukes in Z plastic?

They just released the Nuke in Big Z, so I don't think they're retiring it in Z. Maybe you read the first part of this thread (from 2010) and assumed it was current?

I've thrown a few blizzard Bosses and they were all over the place in stability. The first one I had started out very stable and beat in to perfection. It was my main driver for a while until it got too beat. I tried to find another one like that and the next couple I got were flippy garbage so I gave up. I think blizzard plastic just exacerbates the tendency of wider rimmed drivers to be inconsistent due to cooling variations and such.

B-Man, what are you looking for in another Boss and how far are you throwing? Are you looking for something more stable than the champ Terns? Is there some particular reason you want a Boss?

if you want pure D get an X Nuke with a high dome, they're still pretty stable until you really beat them in. if you want something just as stable as a boss but better get a quasar, the blizz quasars go forever.