• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Official 2014 DGCR Secret Santa Thread

99 out of 42,522 Zip codes match this criteria with an estimated population of 443,397. Expand these stats to that of the world 3,035,749,340 Internet users 52,819 of which have DGCR accounts. .0017% of the internet have DGCR accounts. Meaning 8 people have DGCR accounts in the zip codes mentioned. I will pair this down to North America. 300,287,577 internet users 78 users in the zip codes provided. Approximately 25 people participated in this Secret Santa so 1 out of every 2,113. And 1 our of 678 live in zip codes of these criteria.

Summary: 312% chance it is coming to me :clap: :clap: :clap:

*Note I stand behind none of my math*

Awesome, I think the odds are in your favor.

Packed and ready to mail after work today. Didn't have as much miscellaneous swag as I would have like but added a few unique items. Hope the recipient likes the plastic selection. A couple items are good hits to his likes list and a couple others seem like possible hits. Also included a used thrower that I hope gets some use - Lets call it a modified dislike.

I've played 4 courses that my recipient has played and we have 2 common favorite courses.

Heading south-east from me to it's new home tonight.

I am nearly finished packing up. I always like to send large packages. This year I have told myself minimum value $100. The question becomes will you be receiving one of these packages?

1st Clue: The states I am sending to are either touching my state (illinois) or touching a state that is touching illinois.

2nd Clue: One of these states has more vowels than consonants. (example Arizona falls in this category)

3rd Clue: Two of these states have the same number of vowels as the Username of their recipient.

That's all I have for now. I will post some more teasers later so stay tuned.

Clue #1 - 16 Possible states (I think!)
Clue #2 - 3 Possible states (based on clue #1)
Clue #3 - AEIOU? or is Y included???? Nice clue.

Let's just say I did not count any Y's. Whether there were Y's to count I will never tell ;)

Just waiting on some goodies to arrive before my packages go out.

Both of my packages are going to towns with a population of less than 9000.

All packed up ready to ship. I will get them mailed in the morning. Hope my recipients are pleased. Have a wonderful night everyone!

Awesome, I think the odds are in your favor.

After reviewing the numbers I realized I misplaced a decimal so it's more like a 32% chance. I'm just surprised Excel was able to tell me how many zip codes multiplied to 600. I like fun clues :)

After reviewing the numbers I realized I misplaced a decimal so it's more like a 32% chance. I'm just surprised Excel was able to tell me how many zip codes multiplied to 600. I like fun clues :)

I want to know how you did this in Excel.

1. Loaded a USA Zip Code database
2. Used a Mid-Text-Column function to separate the number to digits
3. Multiplied the 5 digits
4. If then function to determine if the product was 600, if yes then 1
5. Auto-sum this column =99 therefore 99 meet this criteria

For the population I just multiplied the population of each area code by the 1 from the if then function. And auto-sum gave me the population of those 99 zip codes.

This is funny as I work at a company called Excel and computed this while on break at work. Therefore I did this in Excel(Microsoft) in Excel (building Excel Foundry & Machine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbins66 View Post

Let's just say I did not count any Y's. Whether there were Y's to count I will never tell ;)

So I think I can narrow it down to the following:
Clue #1 - 13 Total Possible people for the 3 packages
Clue #2 - 4 possible people
Clue #3 - 3 possible people and 2 items sent so I have a good idea on this one.

Thank you SS!
DSC02894.JPG

My number 1 is delivered ...

Number 2 will be mailed close to deadline it looks. Custom Dye failure :( learned something I hope

1. Loaded a USA Zip Code database
2. Used a Mid-Text-Column function to separate the number to digits
3. Multiplied the 5 digits
4. If then function to determine if the product was 600, if yes then 1
5. Auto-sum this column =99 therefore 99 meet this criteria

For the population I just multiplied the population of each area code by the 1 from the if then function. And auto-sum gave me the population of those 99 zip codes.

The rest I could follow, but I don't know anything about #2. I'mma hafta look into that, I LOVVVE tracking stuff in Excel but I haven't educated myself any further in quite some time.

Also, I got my package! I will post a pic once I'm not bedridden. Big thanks to a big friend, can't wait to share, I'm just plain miserable right now with either the flu, the ebola, or the Black Plague.