• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
We have two holes that shoot back and forth at each other with a creek in-between; the creek is to your right on both shots. During the Sunday morning Frisbitarian group if you flip over the creek we play it as mark your lie on the edge of creek parallel to where your disc is on the other side; otherwise the old guys have to get to the other side of the creek and it takes forever. We all have lunch plans and places to be; ain't nobody got time to watch my old a** struggle down and up the slope of a stupid creek.

It's probably to most common thing people mention when they say why they don't go to Sunday morning Frisbitarians. It seems most people are really attached to rules.

It's just odd to me, but when I started I had been hanging sheetrock in glassed in skyscrapers all day and was into my second bottle of Belgian beer by the time we hit the links. Nobody knew there WERE rules. We just made 'em up.

I don't get trying to return a lost disc and having four people jump on me because of some imaginary transgression about some FB group. Not having that at all. Donating that disc to the poor kids' box at a league down in the Southern Tier. Done :)

It's just odd to me, but when I started I had been hanging sheetrock in glassed in skyscrapers all day and was into my second bottle of Belgian beer by the time we hit the links. Nobody knew there WERE rules. We just made 'em up.

I don't get trying to return a lost disc and having four people jump on me because of some imaginary transgression about some FB group. Not having that at all. Donating that disc to the poor kids' box at a league down in the Southern Tier. Done :)
Arbitrary lost disc rules...

I got scolded by some dude for saying "frolf". I have discs in my bag older than this guy. "I think I damn well know what frolf is, son. Maybe you should unwad your panties and play some." He doesn't like me now. I don't think I like his arbitrary language rules.

Remember when disc golf was fun? You could call it frolf back then.

Frolfing with Frisbees was fun today (though the light/large discs meant even worse putting than usual until I figured out the correct disc/wrist flick combo), but when it comes to actual golf discs it's like "ok why can a small child throw 200' further than me and mostly in the correct direction? :wall:"

How do you handle scenarios where you can't see the disc in the water? Do you default to last place inbounds or just estimate where it's located in the water and play from nearest point IB?

I am part of this group with eegor. On discs in water where you are unable to see the disc, we estimate its location. Our general rule of thumb is "let you conscience be your guide." Probably wouldn't work in a tournament setting, but it works well for us and keeps things moving.

Rules are important. Enforcement of them is flexible, IMO....just as long as everyone is on the same page.

Getting bunched up by a couple trolls on social media is far more absurd than rules....again, IMO.

Arbitrary lost disc rules...

I got scolded by some dude for saying "frolf". I have discs in my bag older than this guy. "I think I damn well know what frolf is, son. Maybe you should unwad your panties and play some." He doesn't like me now. I don't think I like his arbitrary language rules.

Remember when disc golf was fun? You could call it frolf back then.

People need to learn....Frisbee has become a generic term (sorry Wham-O). I've see recent videos with pros calling discs Frisbees and calling the game Frisbee Golf. It's just an easy way to describe the game. Heck, there's a sport where discs are thrown.....it's called discus.

It seems most people are really attached to rules.

i have noticed this too. About a decade ago, I started up a monthly tournament in our town because there was no local disc golf scene. When I was in charge of the monthly, we played with no out of bounds. All water was casual. If you threw your disc into a ball field, in the street or into the tennis court... well you threw it back out from there. No penalty. It was casual and it was fun.

After a couple years my little casual monthly grew into an actual disc golf club. The first thing the club did was institute OB areas and use of mini markers.

And that's fine. It's what the people wanted. I even started playing my own casual rounds, playing alone, using "real" rules.

Bah, when did discs get so expensive, who the heck wants to throw MVP anyway, get off the bandwagon and let me buy a envy you fame following, fickle, second hand mold associating world champs!

Which one of you posers bought that one off mvp buy and sell, yellow with blue rim electron for $40, go home and smack yourself in the head with it.

Uh... that was me :|:|

Ha seriously?! What was the final price?

Did you throw envy's previously? You a big gyro guy? Were you just caught up in the excitement? :) just curious

It was only 40. I've been having trouble finding one in Electron Firm since I lost my last one (stuck it down a ravine) and I could only find them for 35ish on ebay... so 5 bucks more for that color combo... what the hey. I've been throwing gyro for about a year and a half since I find they have more dependable consistency than other companies. If I buy a 173g Crave, it'll fly like my last one.

I tried the Proxy for a while, but never got that dependable fade back. So I bought an Envy in standard Electron a little before worlds while still searching for one in Firm... then James happened :\

Also, I did smack myself on the head with it as instructed. A little patience probably could have saved me 15-20 bucks if I just bought one of the special edition ones from a dealer.

I actually get annoyed by the people that won't follow the rules on lost and found pages. Just post a pic. I think every disc that has been returned to me the last 2 years was found somewhere other than where I lost it.

My joy is when the people that don't post the disc get absolutely bombarded with posts and messages. "If you lost a disc on <fill in water carry here>, post what you lost." And then 150 people each list 5-20 discs that they've lost on that hole.

I actually get annoyed by the people that won't follow the rules on lost and found pages. Just post a pic. I think every disc that has been returned to me the last 2 years was found somewhere other than where I lost it.

My joy is when the people that don't post the disc get absolutely bombarded with posts and messages. "If you lost a disc on <fill in water carry here>, post what you lost." And then 150 people each list 5-20 discs that they've lost on that hole.

My issue was that I posted the side of the disc (not the front of the disc) so you could see the distinctive dye. There's a way that lost-and-found operates. If I lose my keys and try and claim them, they ask me to identify the keys, right? The only way this tried and true model of lost/found doesn't work in this scenario is if the person didn't know what disc they were throwing. When people demand a full picture it opens it up for anyone to claim the disc. Why demand to see the full disc? Why even post if it's not your disc? It's just patently stupid. And furthermore, if the stated rules of the forum say " this is a forum to post and claim lost discs, please do so" and you are not a "troll" but the moderator of the damned forum and don't know the rules of your own forum them FU. Someone even scolded me that "it's not a guessing game". Well duh, then stop facking guessing. No reason to guess the disc if it's not your damned disc. People just be dull.

How do you handle scenarios where you can't see the disc in the water? Do you default to last place inbounds or just estimate where it's located in the water and play from nearest point IB?

The guys in our group are honorable. An estimate of the nearest point IB is all that's needed.

We have a couple of L&F pages for our area. No one posts pictures and it's not required. But a poster SHOULD post a minimum of details to narrow down the people replying.

I found a Gateway Wizard and posted information about it (no name or number on the disc). All I asked was that the owner identify the unique stamp on the top. If I has posted pictures, I'd have several people claiming it - and I wouldn't know if any of them were the real owner.

I understand the part about....yeah, it might be your disc and you might not have lost it there...someone found it elsewhere, played with it and lost it on another course. BUT so what? If you don't put your name and number on it, or some other way to identify it as yours....then that's tough. I'll do my best to get an unmarked disc back to an owner....but I'm not jumping hoops to do it. If it has a name and number, I'm not posting it on a L&F....I'm calling or texting the number.

We have a person who does a lot of retrieving....he has buckets of discs. If he had to post a picture of every disc he finds, he'd never get many posted. He posts enough information from the disc that the owner should be able to identify it.

We have a couple of L&F pages for our area. No one posts pictures and it's not required. But a poster SHOULD post a minimum of details to narrow down the people replying.

I found a Gateway Wizard and posted information about it (no name or number on the disc). All I asked was that the owner identify the unique stamp on the top. If I has posted pictures, I'd have several people claiming it - and I wouldn't know if any of them were the real owner.

I understand the part about....yeah, it might be your disc and you might not have lost it there...someone found it elsewhere, played with it and lost it on another course. BUT so what? If you don't put your name and number on it, or some other way to identify it as yours....then that's tough. I'll do my best to get an unmarked disc back to an owner....but I'm not jumping hoops to do it. If it has a name and number, I'm not posting it on a L&F....I'm calling or texting the number.

We have a person who does a lot of retrieving....he has buckets of discs. If he had to post a picture of every disc he finds, he'd never get many posted. He posts enough information from the disc that the owner should be able to identify it.

Our rules are you post a pic and people are vigilant about it. There doesn't seem to be a ton of issue with the honor system either. I've probably posted 100-200 discs and I think I've had multiple people claim a disc twice and none of the people seemed to be deceitful, they just lost a common disc on a hole with water to the right and a constant headwind --- and I've put up stuff like DD3's, McBeth Destroyers, Big Jerm Thunderbirds. I've seen people put up Cloudbreakers and Sexton Firebirds and old USDGC Champ Rocs and those people weren't swarmed with claims, either.

My thought is that if I find a disc and someone fibs and says that it is their disc, that's on them.

Our rules are you post a pic and people are vigilant about it. There doesn't seem to be a ton of issue with the honor system either. I've probably posted 100-200 discs and I think I've had multiple people claim a disc twice and none of the people seemed to be deceitful, they just lost a common disc on a hole with water to the right and a constant headwind --- and I've put up stuff like DD3's, McBeth Destroyers, Big Jerm Thunderbirds. I've seen people put up Cloudbreakers and Sexton Firebirds and old USDGC Champ Rocs and those people weren't swarmed with claims, either.

My thought is that if I find a disc and someone fibs and says that it is their disc, that's on them.

Yep. Honor system seems to work fine around here. People aren't in those groups to publicly claim things that don't belong to them.

I'm bad.

Back in the day if you wanted your disc back you inked it. No ink? I don't know whose it is. So if I found it at league I'd go "Anyone lose this disc?" after the round and if nobody went "mine" or "that's Jerry's, he shanked it on 11" or something I had a new disc. If I found it playing casual and the disc had no ink, sorry. I just acquired a disc.

That's still how I operate. If you inked it, you get a text. No ink? Sorry, I'm not going on facebook and trying to track you down. Sharpies exist for a reason.

I found an uninked disc that a guy posted on our facebook page that he lost; I gave him that one back since it rung a bell when I found it. Otherwise...ink the discs, folks.

Sigh......kind of a cool thread, about how laid back and chill the geezer crowd is, turns into another lost disc thread.....:| :|

COVID rules apply. If it is not mine, I don't touch it.

Latest posts