• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ongoing In The Bag

Played our club monthly Saturday. Was the same layout as a C tier next month and the only time the course will be set up before the rounds next month. Second round was a layout I have never played before. Felt ok with most lines I tried. Putting was terrible. Was in a position to win going into the second round but just could not make a putt. Finished 3rd. After putting up a personal best rating last Monday I'm glad this weekend was not rated.

Threw some really nice approach shots. First time I have played where every one on the card was throwing Bergs. Seemed like Essence, DD3, and Bergs were all I could throw well.

Rainmakers
Lunas
CP2
Berg
Glow Gator

IS3s

Essences
Instinct
PDs
FD3

DD3s

Have been messing around with the new P1 since the drop trying to see if it will replace the Lunas. I think they are close in flight, but the Lunas have a ton more glide. I don't have to worry about the P1 flipping over on me if I throw them hard and I am not clean, which I like. Like the P1 for throwing but not so much for putting. Something about the feel that I can't quite describe that throws me off.

Grabbed a couple more Bergs for practice. Snagged 2 more K1 and a K3 to try.

Felt like the Instinct that I have dropped in was overlap, but I have been using it for FH shots around 300" and it has been working well. Started using it as a substitute for my old PDs on shots I didn't want to risk losing one and keep finding lines to throw it on.

Putting is still off. Need to spend more time practicing and bite the bullet and get a practice basket.

Heading to the mountains this weekend with the wife. Unplugging for a long weekend. No DG. Good food, winery/ breweries, and campfires. Stoked.

C tier this weekend.

Spent some time putting. Feeling much more confident. Need to stop thinking about what I'm doing when I putt and just putt.

Confident with how familiar I am with the course. If I throw well I have a good shot at getting my first win. Hoping to get a practice round in this week, but with work/ life who knows.

2x Glow Rainmakers

ESP Luna
C Line P2
K3 Berg
K1 Berg
Glow Champ Gator

2x IS3 Color Glow MD3

C Line FD
Lux Essence
Zen Essence
RR2 Instinct
MF C Line FD3

3x SPD

S Line DD3
Echo DD3
Cloudbreaker 3
C Line DD3
Cloudbreaker

C tier went less than great. Felt good going into the rounds. Tee shots were good, for the most part. There was some weird swirling wind that I had not had on practice rounds on a couple of holes. Had a Cloudbreaker 3 flip and not come back and another flip, go way right, and finish for one of my longest drives ever, somewhere between 415-425'. Scrambling was very good. Putting was not good. First round was ok putting. Second round was just bad. 100% the archer. Finished 9th. Not happy about how I played, but still a top 10.

The Sky God 4 and Berg did their thing. Still throwing the IS3s well. Have one that has gotten puddle topped and beaten in a good bit and it just slowly drifts to the right or I can hyzer flip it dead straight. Essence still getting lots of throws. First real rounds with the Razor Claw 3. Really digging it. Almost didn't pick up one because I have not had a great history with the RC2. The stability on the new run is exactly what I want. Instantly felt comfortable throwing it, and threw it well.

2x Rainmaker

K1 Reko
K3 Hard Berg
K1 Berg
C Line P2(SG4)
Razor Claw 3

2x IS3 MD3

Lux Essence
Meta Essence
3x SPD
MF FD3

Echo DD3
C Line DD3
2x Coudbreaker 3
Cloudbreaker

Demoing a couple new disc

K3 Hard Reko - Putting Putter
K3 Reko - light weight used bin find - Neutral Thrower
K1 Reko - Stable Thrower

Felt up the Reko for the first time and I really like how it feels. Putted with KC Pro Aviars for a LONG time and its nice to feel a bead again on a putter. I was expecting the K1 to fly more neutral after everything I have seen but is just straight with the smallest of ending fade. K3 is a 164g and used. Lots of glide and will hold a turnover to the ground. Reko is not quite enough to fill the gap between straight putter shots and utility OS stuff, but I have CP2s and beat up Tactics depending which way I want to go. And Bergs. Bergs are great and have gotten me wanting to check out more Kasta.

Demoing a couple new disc

K3 Hard Reko - Putting Putter
K3 Reko - light weight used bin find - Neutral Thrower
K1 Reko - Stable Thrower

Felt up the Reko for the first time and I really like how it feels. Putted with KC Pro Aviars for a LONG time and its nice to feel a bead again on a putter. I was expecting the K1 to fly more neutral after everything I have seen but is just straight with the smallest of ending fade. K3 is a 164g and used. Lots of glide and will hold a turnover to the ground. Reko is not quite enough to fill the gap between straight putter shots and utility OS stuff, but I have CP2s and beat up Tactics depending which way I want to go. And Bergs. Bergs are great and have gotten me wanting to check out more Kasta.

Good Stuff, Rekos got me to enjoy beaded discs. That bead is just so low profile and comfortable.

Rekos putted very well. Of course I putt great the weekend after a tourney I couldn't make a putt to save my life. The K1 worked very well and I actually was able to push it out longer than what I had been using for the neutral putter slot: the Luna. So far I'm impressed. Will keep testing them out for sure.

Also dropped Comets back in the bag. Threw them as my only mid for my rounds this weekend. Truly forgot how much I love this mold. Just so easy to manipulate lines. I have Z's from hyzerflip to turn to fresh "beefy" '21 MJs. I can see myself throwing these as my mid moving forward, esp as I am going to be going back to wooded courses since the weather is getting cooler and the poison ivy that drives me out is starting to die back.

I did loose one of the older disc I still regularly throw. My 8 year old SPD that was beat in perfectly. Looked for it for 30-45 minutes with no luck. Has my name and number on it so maybe I will see it again, but doubt it. Such is life. I have another SPD from around the same time that is fresher, but I'm going to try and beat it up and see what it becomes. If not I have seasoned SOLFs that can cover the same stuff. Did get in my new run SPDs and they are really really nice.

Got in a new lighter Neo Essence. Hoping this is going to be flip city. PLH looks like it should be flippier vs my Lux Essences. Have been wanting that hyzer filp to turnover fairway shot.

2x K3 Hard Reko
K1 Reko
K3 Reko
K3 Hard Berg
K1 Berg
Razor Claw 3

Fresh MJ 21 Comet
Seasoned 21 MJ Comet
Seasoned Z Comet
Beat Z Comet

3x Essence
3x SPD
MF CFD3

SDD3
Echo DD3
2x Cloudbreaker 3
C Line DD3
Cloudbreaker

Favorite time of the year for disc golf. Poison ivy is dying back, allowing me to get back out to my very wooded old home course. Also opens up another very wooded course closer to home that I have not played in years. Also have a newly installed 9 hole course, with 2 tee sets, that the local club just started weeklys on the weekends relatively close to the house.

Had to drop out of our A tier next month. Getting married is a little more important than a round of DG. There is always next year for the tourney. Thought my rated rounds were over for the year after dropping out, but maybe not.

Junk leftover from the hurricane last weekend, so no golf. Playing weeklys at the new course on Sunday.

Rekos
Bergs
RC3

Comets

Essence
PDs
FD3

Cloudbreakers/ DD3s

Snuck in a round yesterday after work. Defiantly felt like I had not played in a week and a half. Pretty much threw Reko, Comet, Essence BH, and PD FH.

New lighter Essence is exactly what I wanted it to be. Hyzer flip to drift right. Just that tick less stability vs my Lux Essence.

The new Nordic PDs are very good. Workable HSS but still reliable. Such great FH disc. Fairly flat, good glide, and reliable fade at the end. Lost my 8 year old seasoned SPD. Has my name and number, so maybe I will get it back. I have another one from around the same time/ run that I am bagging trying to break in. It already wants to drift a little but does not have the straight finish the PD I lost had beat out of it.

Putting was not great. Switched up to a straddle putt while I was practicing on the last basket. Instantly sunk way more putts. Played around with it for about 20 minutes from various distances. Going to keep playing around with the straddle putt and see where that goes.

Weather is going to be perfect this weekend. Hope to get in a round of golf this weekend for sure. Signed up for a XC tier event first part of December at my old home course so might try to get out there this weekend.

My season is basically over. Was signed up for an A tier next month but have had to pull out. Would have been my 1st tourney that big and the first multi-course/ multi-day tourney. Have one XC tier that I am signed up for in December that will be a rated round, but that should be it for the year. Going to get in a round this weekend on Sunday, then prob not playing for a couple of weeks.

Rainmakers
P2s
Tactics/ RC3

MD3s

Essences
PDs
FD3

DD3s/ Cloudbreakers

Lost my go-to Lux Essence. That's 2 of my main fairways in 3 rounds.

Putting still leaving a lot to be desired. Played around with the Rainmakers and after using the Reko I missed the bead. Rekos going back in. Played without the Berg and I will not be doing that again either.

Getting more into the woods this time of the year. Going back to my old home course, Bennetts Creek Park, and will be playing a wooded and seldom played course close to where we have moved, Northwest River Park. Interestingly Northwest River was built by some of the same people who originally put in my old home course.

Getting married in 2 weeks. Not going to have time for DG until after the dust settles. XC tier tourney 12/3 might be the next time I play a real round. Would like to hit the course once again before the tourney but I have played that course hundreds of times.

Rekos
Bergs
Razor Claw 3

MD3s
Origin

Essences
PDs
FD3

DD3s/ Cloudbreakers

Rekos back for putting. I really like throwing P2s. I have never really been able to putt well with them. I have been putting as well as anything with the Rekos and I like how they feel a lot. Debating exactly what I want to do with my puttings/ throwers. Bergs and RC3s are staying in the approach slot for sure.

Put an Origin in the bag for hyzerflip and easy turnovers in the woods. The IS3s have done well all year and I have one that is beat to basically dead straight and gets good drift thrown flat. Looking forward to the IS4 and the Midnight Prowl 2s. I never really tried the Origin before as like the Essence I wasn't really interested. Essence has been such a hit I'm hoping the Origin will be as well for mid shots that need some flip. Like the mystery box extra softs enough to try a Neo.

PDS and Essences still doing work. The new Nordic PDs are great. I miss my beat freak stamp SPD. Still no call back on that one. Put on of the "new" CPD in the bag and that thing is basically a FD3.

Probably going to pick up a couple more Cloudbreakers before they are all sold out. The first one I bagged is starting to get some real turn and lost a good bit of finish. That or just drop in one of my stock stamp SDD3. First world DG problems.

Still no golf yet this month. Doing inventory at work, which is always fun. Also been busy getting ready to get married 11/11. Looks like we are going to be having a tropical storm brushing thru about that time, so hoping for a dry window for us to do the dang thing.

Will have some discs waiting on me when I'm able to hit the course next. Picked up a couple of the Glow Flex 3 P2s, a Neo Origin to replace the EXO extra soft, and IS4s.

The IS4s feel really nice. I don't know if it is just a little flashing, but the bead on these feels bigger and more similar to the Innova MD3s. Chroma and Meta are the same thing. I am now finally convinced the Lat64/ DD/ Westside plastic and the new Discmania plastic is the same blend. Maybe buying it is a different mix or ratio used, but it's the same. That's not a really a bad thing and the newer Discmania seems to be holding up good enough for me.

Finally getting out this weekend to throw.

Have to get in some time at my old home course. Tourney 12/3 that is filling up fast. Have played that course more times than I can count, but it has been a while since last out. It gets pretty wrapped up in poison ivy in the summer and I avoid that at all costs. Couple of new discs to audition in the midrange slot. IS4s and Origins. Course def has some shots that the Origins could work on so looking forward to that.

I have got to figure out my putters. There are a ton that I like and want to throw them all. Berg and RC3 are locked, but I can't decide between P2s, Rainmakers, and Rekos for putting putters/ throwers. Seems like whichever one I bag I wish I had the other. I also really like putting Bullets. And premium plastic Lunas are great throwers. Too many choices and I need to just sell off whatever I decide not to throw.

2x Glow Rainmakers

TS Luna
CP2
K3 Berg
K1 Berg
Razor Claw 3

Meta Origin
Neo Origin
IS3 MD3
IS4 MD3

Neo Essence
Meta Essence
SPD
NP SPD
MF CFD3

SDD3
Echo DD3
CDD3
Cloudbreaker 3
Cloudbreaker

I will probably only bag 1 of the Origins after I figure out if I want Neo or Meta. Probably going to be Meta. There are a couple of holes I used to throw an Instinct on that I may slot one back in on, if I feel like the PDs are too fast/ OS. Course can also get windy and if it looks like that is going to be the case I have PD2s and beefy Destroyers that I can drop in.

Stoked to get back on the course.

Was able to get in a chilly, beautiful early morning round yesterday at my old home course. Very happy with how I played. Bogie free on a tight wooded course. Actually putted well, so that was a nice change.

2x K3 Hard Reko
K1 Reko
K1 Berg
Razor Claw 3

Midnight Prowl 2 Origin
Beat Iron Samurai 3
Mind Bender MD1
Iron Samurai 4

Neo Essence
Meta Essence
RR2 Vapor Instinct
SPD
Nordic Phenom PD
MF CFD3

SDD3
Echo DD3
Cloudbreaker 3
Cloudbreaker
CDD3

Rekos are working well. I spend a good bit of time before the round at the practice basket with P2s, Rainmakers, and Rekos. I was on the beadless putter kick for a good while, but having a bead is really feeling nice again and I get better pop with the bead. K1 Reko is a really good thrower.

Decided to pull the trigger on the newer DM mids. MP2 Origin was straighter than I had thought it would be. Tons of glide. The Mind Bender hype was real. I threw it everywhere I could and it did really well. Easy to control lines, good glide, but not flippy. I didn't want to like the MB, but I'm glad I picked up a couple and likely will be grabbing a few more. Iron Samurai 4 will be a good bookend. I seem to be one of the few people who actually like the IS3 and the IS4 is a solid tick more OS. Hope to have the MP2 be a line shaper, MD1 to be a line holder, and the IS4 to be straight to fade. My beat IS3 is more US vs MP2 so it will be staying around for now.

Threw in an Instinct for a couple of course specific holes. There are a couple of tee shots that have small gaps that I like to throw a FH on. PDs are just a little too fast and have more finish that what I want on those few holes. Hit my gaps just right with the Instinct, so job well done.

Thinking about swapping in some of my old Destroyers. Going to try and get in a round after work this weekend and see how those oldies work out. Hole 17 needs an OS distance driver FH with a skip finish. My CDD3 does ok, but I don't feel super confident with a FH on a hyzer.

Last rated round of the year this weekend. Hoping to finish strong on the course that I learned the game on. Looks like it might be a rain round. Should be a fun round with the proceeds going to local Veterans charity group.

2x K3 Hard Reko

K3 Reko
K1 Reko
K1 Berg
Sky God 4 CP2
Razor Claw 3

Beat IS3 MD3
Mind Bender MD1
IS4 MD3

Neo Essence
Zen Meta Essence
RR2 Vapor Instinct
Seasoned SPD
Nordic Phenom Special Blend PD
CMF FD3

Beat Pro Destroyer
Beat Star Destro
Seasoned Star Destro
'21 Calvin Halo Destro

Destroyers are getting the tap in. I have really enjoyed throwing the DD3/ Cloudbreakers, but for the course I'm playing I want the variety and shot shaping that I can get with my spread of Destroyers. I stopped throwing them because all the ones I have are old, except for the Calvin Halo, and would be hard to replace. My middle 2 Destroyers get me 8-10' more distance and with the Halo I don't feel like I need a PD2/ XCal type mold in the bag.

Played fairly meh in my XC tier event Saturday. Rain held out for the morning rounds. Played right at my rating, 904, and finished 5th after a 4 way tie for first. Not as well as I would have liked, but I didn't go backwards. I was 1 stroke off 1st. Finished +2. Not terrible for that course but I had high hopes as I finished -4 a couple of days before. Absolutely left strokes on the course with 3 missed putts I should have made and bogies and a double on holes that I should have pared. It's one of those courses where you get a 2 or a 5 on some holes, so I didn't do that bad. Could not have asked for a better card and had fun while helping a group for local vets.

Standouts of the day: Reko, Berg, Razor Claw 3, Origin, Essence, Destroyer

Played Sunday at what has become my new home course. Shot -2 from a tee/ pin combo that I rarely play.

Putting seems to be improving. Despite a couple of opportunities, I did putt fairly well in the tourney and my Sunday round. Anything much beyond 30" is probably not going in, but I am catching metal regularly. I need more reps and to get another practice basket if I want this to improve. There is a small grass area out back of the shop where I work and I have been thinking about putting practice for my lunch break, at least until the time changes back and it's not dark after work. Assuming I bite the bullet and buy another basket.

I'm having thoughts on my fairways:
The Essence has been a big surprise as to how much I like it and how good it works for me and the courses I play. I did not want to like the mold because I'm invested in other molds, namely FDs. I really like OLFs, specifically 1.1s SOLFs, and Sexton Firebirds. Between Essences and PDs I can cover everything I would get with FDs, OLFs, and Firebirds with less molds. I'm also not 100% sold on the FD3 and really don't throw it that much. Think I am going to drop back to FD, OLF, and Firebird and see how that shakes out for a little while.

Rekos
Berg
Razor Claw 3

MD1/ Origin
MD3

FDs
OLFs
Firebirds

Destroyers

Closing out the year there were defiantly some wins and some losses. Ending the year MA2 905 rated, which was the minimum I thought I would be before joining the PDGA and playing rated rounds. I feel like I have played under my ability for most tourney rounds and still finished top 10 in division every time. Positive is I have a ton of room for improvement that I can actualize and have clear lines of improvement. If I am going to progress, I have to get consistent with putting. If I can do that my rating should improve dramatically. My wife is amazing and is encouraging and supports me trying to push in 2023. Going to stay in the club I joined last year and try to play leagues and monthlies as much as I can and pick up as many tourneys as I can. Goal is to push for 950 rated in MA1 closing out 2023 and then go MP40 2024.

Bergs have made an immediate impact. I cannot see myself not having one in the bag. They are so good for short FHs and really any approach shots. Not exactly sure what will stick for OS approach. The Razor Claw 3 has been working well and I don't really see a need to change.

Have never really clicked with MD3s. They have always been ok enough to make it work but I have never completely been sold on them. I have enough of them that I think I'm going to keep pushing forward with them. I do really like the Mustang, so they may be coming back to the bag. Mustangs just did not have the LSS that I want so might have to pair them with another mold. I'd rather only have 1 mid mold in the bag and that is why they have been out. Maybe try Buzzes again.

Fairways are a bit of indecision right now. The FB wing is my favorite, hands down. I love the way it feels FH and BH. Plan on throwing some combo of FBs, PDs, and OLFs to cover my control drives. I want something neutral to fill the slower speeds, which I'm leaning towards FDs or maybe Leos.

Tried to like the Cloudbreakers and DD3s and threw them fairly well. I think I'm going to sell them off and move back to my old Destroyers. Situationally I will be bagging a beat Wraith for flippy/ woods distance and/or XCals for OS Distance stuff.

Big thing that I have to get figured out is putting. Had a rollercoaster year with the putting putter. Reko has a hand feel that I like, but anything outside 15' I am not consistent and not confident. I really like P2 for throwing but have struggled with them putting. Rainmakers are another option that I'm seriously considering as I already have a good number of them. Also had decent success in the past with Lunas, but I don't like the way the plastic feels. Also have Bullets and Profits I have used previously that I might try. My putting is completely an archer vs arrow issue, and no specific disc is going to make the improvements I need like practice will. I have got to get a practice basket and commit time to improve.

Open to any suggestions on practice baskets. Considering the MVP Portal with the travel bag or the Marksman style MVP basket.

Closing out the year there were defiantly some wins and some losses. Ending the year MA2 905 rated, which was the minimum I thought I would be before joining the PDGA and playing rated rounds. I feel like I have played under my ability for most tourney rounds and still finished top 10 in division every time. Positive is I have a ton of room for improvement that I can actualize and have clear lines of improvement. If I am going to progress, I have to get consistent with putting. If I can do that my rating should improve dramatically. My wife is amazing and is encouraging and supports me trying to push in 2023. Going to stay in the club I joined last year and try to play leagues and monthlies as much as I can and pick up as many tourneys as I can. Goal is to push for 950 rated in MA1 closing out 2023 and then go MP40 2024.

Bergs have made an immediate impact. I cannot see myself not having one in the bag. They are so good for short FHs and really any approach shots. Not exactly sure what will stick for OS approach. The Razor Claw 3 has been working well and I don't really see a need to change.

Have never really clicked with MD3s. They have always been ok enough to make it work but I have never completely been sold on them. I have enough of them that I think I'm going to keep pushing forward with them. I do really like the Mustang, so they may be coming back to the bag. Mustangs just did not have the LSS that I want so might have to pair them with another mold. I'd rather only have 1 mid mold in the bag and that is why they have been out. Maybe try Buzzes again.

Fairways are a bit of indecision right now. The FB wing is my favorite, hands down. I love the way it feels FH and BH. Plan on throwing some combo of FBs, PDs, and OLFs to cover my control drives. I want something neutral to fill the slower speeds, which I'm leaning towards FDs or maybe Leos.

Tried to like the Cloudbreakers and DD3s and threw them fairly well. I think I'm going to sell them off and move back to my old Destroyers. Situationally I will be bagging a beat Wraith for flippy/ woods distance and/or XCals for OS Distance stuff.

Big thing that I have to get figured out is putting. Had a rollercoaster year with the putting putter. Reko has a hand feel that I like, but anything outside 15' I am not consistent and not confident. I really like P2 for throwing but have struggled with them putting. Rainmakers are another option that I'm seriously considering as I already have a good number of them. Also had decent success in the past with Lunas, but I don't like the way the plastic feels. Also have Bullets and Profits I have used previously that I might try. My putting is completely an archer vs arrow issue, and no specific disc is going to make the improvements I need like practice will. I have got to get a practice basket and commit time to improve.

Open to any suggestions on practice baskets. Considering the MVP Portal with the travel bag or the Marksman style MVP basket.

Almost all of the course out this way use DGA Mach II thru X baskets, so the DGA Mach II was an easy choice for me. I also didn't mind spending the extra cash because they really hold up over time. My Bergs tend to bounce out of the basket on a hard center putt, but I aim slightly to the right instead of center anyways so that is a bad putt for me.

Overall though a basket of any kind is the best thing you can buy. I have had mine for 6 months now and I am completely confident in C1 and make some amazing (for my ability)C2 putts constantly. I started with 100 putts a day from the same position to get my putting stroke consistent and in the process my stroke changed over the course of about 2 weeks to something that now feels easy. I now only require myself to do 1 session of 100 putts a week, with the flexibility to do more if I want. My putting and approach game, thanks to the Berg on both accounts, is the strongest and most confident disc golf I play. My long game is still in the works, but if I can get in approach range I can stay at par pretty easily.

All this to say, take a look at the baskets you play on the most, or maybe struggle with the most and get something similar. I personally don't like the idea of the marksman style baskets because it requires a center pole hit, and the speed of my spin putt with the bergs might cause them to bounce out of the basket. Also, some baskets with inner chains might have removable outer chains so you have both in one. Sorry for the wall of text :)

Thanks for the response.

I had one of the Innova practice baskets. Worked good enough and allowed me to get in the reps, which was important. I gave it to a buddy of mine and it lives in his yard now. His kids love it so I have let him keep it.

Most courses around here had DGA or Innova baskets. I'd love to get a full size Innova basket, but it is not in the cards right now. I want something that is portable since I plan on practicing on lunch breaks and after works so it will live in my car for the most part.