• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ongoing In The Bag

Beat Flex2 P2
C Line P2
K1 Berg
Beat Soft Tactic
Seasoned Soft Tactic
Razor Claw 3

Not picking on you but seriously curious about this part of your bag. I see quite a few people, including my wife, who roll heavy with their approach discs.

Is there any indecision on your part when you step up to a 200' approach shot when you're choosing which disc you want to use?

I only bag two discs in that slot and when I step up to make my shot the disc selection for me is pretty basic.

I know my wife is frequently struggling with which disc she should throw on an approach and I've been trying to get her to quit bagging so many options.

Just curious how having so many discs in that slot works for you.

Not picking on you but seriously curious about this part of your bag. I see quite a few people, including my wife, who roll heavy with their approach discs.

Is there any indecision on your part when you step up to a 200' approach shot when you're choosing which disc you want to use?

I only bag two discs in that slot and when I step up to make my shot the disc selection for me is pretty basic.

I know my wife is frequently struggling with which disc she should throw on an approach and I've been trying to get her to quit bagging so many options.

Just curious how having so many discs in that slot works for you.

I am a very heavy putter and fairway driver player. I have tried to work on mids more this off season and as such I am starting the year with more in the bag than I have ever had.

The P2s are pretty much just for BH. I really like throwing the SG4. The DLine is just for flippy putter stuff.

The Berg is mostly FH. Dead straight or slight anny approach. I will occasionally throw it BH, but prefer FH.

Tactics are also primarily FH. I have 1 beat and 1 seasoned Soft. I will throw these backhand if I need a different shot shape vs the SG4, but they are pretty much for shot shaping FH approach. The Razor Claw3 is more balenced FH/BH and is for max OS.

Decided to do what you should not do before a tournament: change up the bag.

I can't seem to find a Discmania putting putter that works for me. I have tried P2s, Rainmakers, the new P1, and now Links. If I was contractually obligated to, I could make something work, but I'm not so I don't have to go with good enough.

I have thrown more discs in the last week than I normally do in almost a month. Hit the practice basket a ton to try and get putters figured out. I am happy with the bag as it sits right now. I have a couple of tweaks that I plan on making but for the most part the bones are there and ready to go. Stoked to start the competitive season, even if it looks like a cold and maybe wet day to begin. Feel good, have been really clicking with the bag, and my scores have been reflecting this confidence.

2x SB Luna: Putting Putters

TS ESP Luna
TS Z Metallic Luna
Pro D Banger GT: seasoned
Putter Line Banger GT
2x ESP Zone: 1x seasoned, 1x fresh

2x ESP Buzzz: Fresh 4x and beat
Z Buzzz: Seasoned

2x ESP Athena: Seasoned lightweight and fresh
ESP Heat
3x ESP Anax: Seasoned, Fresh 1st run, Fresh Proto
TS Z Metallic Raptor
ESP CapRap

3x ESP Force: Beat, seasoned, and slightly less seasoned
2x ESP Zeus: Seasoned lightweight and fresh Proto

Tournament did not go to plan. At all.

First round was very meh. Had issues getting into place to score and only could put up a -1. I average -6 to -8 on that layout so that was a little frustrating. On hole 17 the rain started. Downpour during lunch break and didn't stop until halfway thru the second to last hole. I have very limited experience in the rain, and thought I was going to be ok. Four holes in everything in my bag was soaked. Could not get my hands or discs dry. Had 3 holes in the woods where I gave up 8 strokes. Put up my worst rated round. Finished T16, which is my first time not finishing top 10.

On a positive note, my putting was solid. Didn't really miss any stupid putts but did miss a couple circle 2s that would have made a difference.

Have an opportunity to play a tourney 3/25. It is a little further than I think I want to drive. Next local will be 3/15.

As you may already be aware, when everything is wet base plastic is your friend.

If I'm anticipating wet conditions I'll make sure that I have putters and mids in the bag in base plastic.

I got caught during an unexpected rain once during a competitive round and although I wasn't prepared for it I scored pretty well compared to the field by pretty much leaning on my putters for everything the entire round because that's the only thing I bagged that day that I could actually grip and control. 450' par 3? Envy, Envy, putt. Everyone else was still trying to launch their premium plastic drivers with little to no success.

Thanks ray. I knew it would be wet, but I did not think it would be as bad as it was. I have played in light rain before and didn't have any issues. This was a solid, drenching cold rain. I thought I would be able to keep things dry-ish under an umbrella but that didn't happen.

I was able to not completely blow the round because I had my old soft pro D Banger in the bag. That was the only thing I could throw backhand. After I went double, triple, double I said screw it and threw Banger and a Zone FH to finish out and stop the slide. I could only kind of grip my premium stuff FH and couldn't grip anything but the Banger BH. Had a weird release on the 4th or 5th hole that tweaked my throwing shoulder and it is still not happy.

Absolutely beautiful morning rounds yesterday at Munden Point in Pungo, VA.

Shot a personal best on a layout that I normally don't play. Putted well and getting much more confident. Made a couple of outside the circle putts and threw FH and BH well and without any of the pain that was present the last time I played a round. Feeling much better about my game after the wet, cold round that did not go to plan.

Tweaks to the bag. Carrying extra discs to get in reps while playing rounds. Extra putting putters to get in as many putts as I can. Berg is back for shots that the Lunas have too much glide and Zones have too much fade. Royal Mustang is everything I like about the mold and more. Great glide and more neutral. Will be awesome once broken in to turn but is really nice out of the box. Mustangs just work better for me vs Buzzz or MD3. 2x Jackalopes to try and get them dialed in. Really liking them for hyzer-flips and slow turning backhands. 1.1 OLFs are like longer Mustangs and do everything well except wind. OLFs for shaping lines; PDs for holding lines. The new S-Line DD3s are a good, middle stability distance driver for my distances and complement the old Innova DD3s and C-lines. Will slot in something more OS to compliment the DD3: PD2 or XCal type mold. Will be slimming down once I get about 2 weeks out from my next tournament weekend. Next rounds will be 2 B-tiers in 1 weekend that is locally called the Killer B's. Need to work on my fitness until then because it is going to kick my ageing butt. Time to start thinking about playing MA40.

4x SB Luna - Putting reps

Big Z Luna
'21 TS Metallic Z Luna
K1 Berg
Putter Line Zone
Glo Z Zone

Royal Mustang
Eternal Mustang
Nocturnal Mustang

2x Eternal Jackalope
3x 1.1 SOF
2x SPD
Eternal Phoenix
Nocturnal Phoenix

3x S-Line DD3
C-Line DD3

Played 3 rounds over the weekend. Axle nut fell off the cart so it was back to carrying the backpack. Played pretty well. Feel good about putting inside about 25 feet. Much beyond and it is hit and miss.

Not sure the Jackalope is going to work out. Like the way the mold feels but it is not consistent for me. Just not quite the flip up I want. The Essence did so well last year I think I'm going to go back to it. Broke one of my perfectly seasoned 1.1 OLFs. I stopped throwing my 1.1s because I was worried about them breaking and sure enough. I have replacements, but not one that is seasoned quite like the one I just lost. The new SDD3s are working out for the bag so far. Just a really nice out of the box workable distance driver.

2x SP Luna

BigZ Luna
Putter Line Zone
Z Glo Zone

Royal Mustang
Eternal Mustang
Nocturnal Mustang

Eternal Jackalope
2x 1.1 SOLF
SPD
Eternal Phoenix
Nocturnal Phoenix

Echo Sline DD3
2x SLine DD3
CLine DD3
Glow PD2

League starts up this week.

Minor tweaks. Dropped the Jackalope and back to the Essence. Have been throwing the Athena again and really like it. Windy round yesterday and the Phoenix did work. Putter Line Zone is beating in nicely and has become a nice complement to the Glo. Royal Mustang is breaking in and getting straighter. Will probably make it more of a situational bagged disc and have put in a MD1 now. Dropped in a couple of beefy Destroyers to combat the wind over the weekend.

2x SB Luna

Big Z Luna
'21 TS Z Metallic Luna
Putter Line Zone
Z Glo Zone

Mindbender MD1
Eternal Mustang
Nocturnal Mustang

Neo Essence
Zen Essence
2x ESP Athena
SPD
Eternal Phoenix
Nocturnal Phoenix

Echo Sline DD3
New Run Sline DD3
3x Star Destroyer

League is in full swing. Played meh first week and shot under my rating and tied 5th. Happy with how I played last night. Left 2 or 3 strokes on the course and still managed to pull out the win and 20 points above rating. Have had great cards both rounds and that really makes a difference.

2 B tier tournies this coming weekend. Feel good going into the rounds. Went back to P2s and have slowed down and gotten in my routine and have been making putts.

2x PLine Glow P2

Flex 2 P1
DLine P2 Seasoned
Flex 1 P2
Putter Line Zone Seasoned
LE Glo Zone

Mindbender MD1
IS4 MD3
IS1 MD3

CLine FD
Halo Hawkeye
RR2 Instinct
2x SPD
MF CLine FD3

2x SLine DD3(Discmania)
Cloudbreaker 3
Creator Series Cloudbreaker
SLine PD2

Down and up weekend of tournament golf. Bit disappointed with how I finished Saturday. Put up 895 1st round to be in the top 5. Put up an 886 the second round and finished top 20 for the tournament. Played the same layout second round as Monday night for leagues and played 940ish golf. Happy with how I played Sunday. Shot 966 1st round and 905 second to give me a tie at third for the tournament. Felt good since the last time I played the course was one of my worst rated rounds and probably my worst round of golf in 10 years. Only missed 2 putts I feel I should have made all weekend, which is a monumental improvement. Had good playing partners for all rounds and had fun.

Feel like I threw Zones, MD1, PD, and DD3s/ Cloudbreakers all weekend. Zones took almost all approach shots. MD1 was everything straight off the tee BH. The 1st Creator Cloudbreaker has been in and out the bag since they dropped and I relied heavily on it this weekend, esp for forehand shots. Need to snag one or two more of those before they are gone for good.
The grey new SLine DD3 are just bombers for me and I'm glad I went ahead and stocked a few. Will probably try a new SLine FD for more flip than I get with my CLine. I want to play around with the Zone OS so I'm sure I will be getting one of those as well.

2x Glow PLine P2(Innova)

DLine P2(Innova)
Flex 2 P1
Putter Line Zone
OG Glo Zone

Mindbender MD1
IS4 MD3
IS1 MD3

CLine FD(Discmania)
Halo Hawkeye
CLine FD (2nd Run)
2x SPD(Innova)
MF CLine FD3

2x SLine DD3
Creator Cloudbreaker
Horizon Cloudbreaker

Next tournament is in June. Going to keep playing Monday night leagues a couple of times a month but not going to make the weekend pushes for a couple of weeks. I do plan on continuing to up my fitness and that should translate into better disc golf thru less fatigue, esp when it gets hot.

Last edited:
Non-sanctioned tournament tomorrow. Have not played much in the last month. This should be a warmup for the C tier I have next month. Same course but the layout will likely be different this weekend. Will be concentrating my rounds on this course with occasional league rounds between now and June 10th.

Some things have been tweaked, but for the most part my bag has not changed. The new DM made MF MD3s are really nice throwers. I picked up a couple of the 10 yr versions and they feel and fly great. Still playing around with the Zone OS.

2x Glow PLine P2

Flex 2 P1
DLine P2 (Innova)
Sky God 4 P2
Putter Line Zone
OG Glo Zone
Z Zone OS

Mindbender MD1
Metal Flake CLine MD3
IS1 MD3

CLine FD (Innova)
CLine FD (Discmania)
2nd Run CFD
2x SPD (Innova)
MF CLine FD3

Horizon DD1
2x SLine DD3 (Innova and DM)
Creater Cloudbreaker
Horizon Cloudbreaker

Bag still mostly the same. C Tier this weekend. Played a bunch of rounds at the course over the weekend and feel good about my chances. As long as I don't take any big numbers first round and can score on the second round, I should be able to put up a decent tournament.

2x Glow P Line P2

Flex 2 P1
2x P2s
2x Zones

Mindbender MD1
2x MD3s

3x FDs
3x PDs
2x Sexton FB

Horizon DD1
2x S Line DD3
2x Cloudbreakers

Played ok for the weekend. Told myself if I needed to finish lower than -8 and -12 would probably win. Finished 3rd, -9, and 927 rated for the rounds. Didn't make any stupid mistakes. Could have picked up a couple more strokes, but the person who won is a buddy and was played lights out first round and earned the win with a -12.

2x Glow P2

P1
P2s
Berg
Zones

Mindbender
MD3s

Star TB: Beat
Star TB: Seasoned
Champ TB: Seasoned
3x PDs
2x Sexton FBs

Horizon DD1
2x S Lind DD3
2x Cloudbreakers

Bag has changed some and likely will continue to change.

TBs were a nice add. Threw them years ago and they just fly too good. Me and the FDs had been hit or miss lately and the TBs were a nice change and added some consistency. Will add one of my beat DX TBs for something truly flippy.

The MD1 has been good since adding them to the bag last year, but for whatever reason recently it has not been clicking. I feel like I'm hitting my lines but I'm not seeing the turn or drift I want.

Really didn't throw the PDs much at all. They were in the bag but really only threw 1 shot with a CPD. Threw the Sextons a bunch and they worked out really well when I needed them to be there. Fresh Sexton covers what the FD3 was doing and my beat one covered OS PD shots. Considering swapping the PDs for OLFs. The 1.1 SOFs are great and I miss throwing them.

Also going to likely be dropping the DD3/ Cloudbreakers. Have been playing around with my old Destroyers again and they are just too good not to bag. Lost my bomber S Line DD3 during practice and already have a Destroyer that does the same thing.

Looking like my next tournament will be in August. Will keep playing a few league rounds here or there and work on putting consistent. Feel like I am coming into my putting and my approach game is the strongest it has ever been.

End of the year update. Have not really played much since August. Did play in my club's end of the year members only and finished 2nd in my division by 1 stroke. Probably left 3-5 strokes on the course. Missed a mando both rounds that turned and easy 3 into 5s both times. Putted very well which was a nice change.

Overall, didn't play as much golf as I had hoped. Life and work happened and was not able to get as many tourneys as I wanted but still played more than the previous year. Did finally get a practice basket from my brother-in-law and have him interested in the sport. Hope to get him playing in the new year.

Don't think the bag will change too much. I am happy for the most part and confident. There will be parts that I play around with but the bones should stay the same.

P2s: Putters and throwers. Might try something a little straighter out of the box to beat in more for hyzerflip to turn shots. Just don't seem to get a P2 there. Might try Logics for throwers.
Zones: Faithful workhorse approach discs.

MD1s: Neutral Mid shots
MD3s: Mid shots that need some fade

FD1: Workhorse fairway; shaping shots, woods

OLF, PDs, Firebird: Control driver shots. Don't always carry these but have some mix of OLF, PD, and Firebird. OLFs shape shots, PDs hold lines, and FBs for beef.

Cloudbreakers/ DD3s: Swedish plastic Destroyers. Between the beat up SLine, Swirly SLine, and Horizon Cloudbreakers I can cover all my distance needs. Feel good and fly good.

Played in my club's first tournament of the year: a double's ice bowl. Really good showing. 33 teams in AM. My playing partner, who I met day of the event, and I finished 4th. High for the day was about freezing and there was a steady 10-12 mph wind with gusts in the mid 20s. Not super happy with my play. Had issues hitting early off the tee and C1x putting was all over the place. Played much better second round and out score improved by 6 strokes vs 1st round.

I have tried and tried to click with P2s. I like the way they feel for putting and really like them off the tee but putting is very inconsistent. Sometimes things are great and I can hardly miss inside C2. More often I just can't put it in the basket. A change is on the way. Looking at Mint Bullets, Kasta Rekos, and maybe another mold that comes up.

Probably going to need to add a stable throwing putter mold. Have some old Envies that I haven't thrown in a while. Berg is going back in for tournament rounds as well.

MD3s got torched in the wind. I really dig the MD1, esp the Mindbenders and don't see those going anywhere for now. Considering options to complement MD1s. Mint Bobcat? Millenium Solstice? Dynamic Verdict? Drop the MD1s completely and cycle Mint Mustangs?

FD1s are working well. Skywalker/ Cline combo is really nice. Put in a new 1.1 SOF and threw it all over the place with great results. 1.4 QOLF covered my PD slot. Pulling my most beat and #2 SOFs since it has been so cold and using the opportunity to season my #3 SOF. Slotting in a couple Innova made FD3 to keep from losing my Sexton FBs. Those will be back once the weather warms up a little.

1 month until the 1st sanctioned tournament of the year. Need to get the putt dialed in. Have lost 2 seasoned DD3s that I really enjoyed throwing in the last 2 weeks. Looking like Destroyers/ Wraiths will be going in since I have a bunch of seasoned ones ready to go.

And I have lost 2 Destroyers in the last week. Lost a fairly new Ricky Destroyer on a bad kick into reeds. Lost my #2 seasoned AJ last weekend. Threw it on a shot I have thrown it on dozens of times. The shot is a right to left hyzer with a small window up top. There is water long and left. My normal shot hits a little short and there is a wall of trees that almost always stops anything from going too deep and into the water. Well not this time. I have played this shot for 5 or 6 years and never had one gone clean thru until now.

I think I am going to be done with Discmania. I have been wanting to move to an American made bag, in as much as I can, for about a year, but stayed with Discmania. I have thrown Discmania basically since they opened their factory store. The in-house products were ok. Some have been hits but most have been misses, for me. The House of Discs merger has not set right with me since it was announced. It was clear early on that Trilogy and Discmania were in bed together just with looking at the plastics, which would have been fine. Discmania was this small, niche company that offered great discs. Now it feels like much more of a money grab with all the tour series and the way the mystery boxes went, esp this year. I will be phasing out my Discmania and moving on.

I believe the Mint/ Thought Space/ MVP family is where I am going to land. I really like Mint's stuff. Have not really tried much of the Thought Space but I understand it is basically the same as Mint. Threw a ton of MVP when they just had the Ion, Anode, Vector, Axis, Tangent, and Volt class discs. Threw Envies and Alias when they first dropped. Will probably bag some Innova/ Discraft here and there. Should be nice to revisit some of the Mint that I enjoy, demo some Thought Space, and see where MVP/ Axiom goes from here.

Bullets have been working well on the putting green and off the tee as neutral driving putters. Envies and Zones are covering most of what else I need from throwing putters.

Bobcats have been a good addition. Solid BH and have been really good for FH shots. Have 1x fresh Eternal in the bag and hunting for more. Opening up some new lines for sure. I can cover my neutral and flippy mid shots with Mustangs in Eternal and Royal. Mustangs have been a favorite mold that I have not bagged regularly, and I'm stoked to throw them. I could see a Mana/ Lobster taking truly flippy mid duties and replacing base plastic Mustangs.

OLFs have solidified a place in the bag. 1.1 SOFs in particular. I can throw them almost as far as distance drivers, but they don't have the big finish. Historically I have liked a neutral/ flippy fairway and a Stable/ OS speed 9, capped with a Firebird type disc. OLFs can cover a ton of ground and I don't know how much I would miss that slower fairway driver. I have enough 1.1s that I can feel ok bagging them and not be tied to 1 or 2 discs if/ when I lose one. I don't think MVP offers something with quite the same stability and would take a couple of molds to cover the same lines. I think I am going to bag OLF/ FB for fairways and see if I truly need something slower. I could see a Volt/ Terra/ Tesla type disc finding a spot in the bag.

Not really set on what I am going to do for my distance lineup. I really like my old Destroyers, but I am not going to pay to play and replace the ones I have lost. I like mine in Star plastic in the 167-171g range and all of what I can find in that range is blizzard, which I am not into. Cycling I-Blend Emperors with my beefy SDS and Halo Destroyers is an option. Might try Time-lapses and Waves. I have not thrown any of the MVP family distance drivers or anything faster than a Volt. The Time-lapses feel really nice and I think Waves could cover the other end of stability.

Time will tell. Excited to throw some new plastic and some that I know I like and have not been bagging.

Setting in for the season. Couple of areas that I need to make a decision on, or not.

Bullets
Ions or Envies
Zones

Mustangs
Bobcats

SOFs
Volts
Phoenixes

Waves
Time Lapses

You can get a lot of cheap mint/tsa/etc under the "Remix Discs" brand on amazon. That's basically where MVP offloads their partner lab seconds. Here's a fairly recent reference table from a fella on reddit:

I snagged a creature recently and the plastic is still that great mvp feel. (I realize you might well already know this, just figured if you're only recently trying to hit mint/tsa that you might now.)

As far as bobcat vs mustang? General consensus is on the pathfinder side (i.e. mustang), but I'm sure both are great.

You can get a lot of cheap mint/tsa/etc under the "Remix Discs" brand on amazon. That's basically where MVP offloads their partner lab seconds. Here's a fairly recent reference table from a fella on reddit:

I snagged a creature recently and the plastic is still that great mvp feel. (I realize you might well already know this, just figured if you're only recently trying to hit mint/tsa that you might now.)

As far as bobcat vs mustang? General consensus is on the pathfinder side (i.e. mustang), but I'm sure both are great.

Is the Creature actually the Lobster? If so that would be awesome.

I really like Mint stuff but the availability keeps me from committing. Remix is really enticing from that perspective.